Sign in to follow this  
The Phantom Horseman

Match Thread: Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 4th March 2018

Well, this is a big one indeed so worth starting the match thread early I thought.

Plenty of potential talking points in terms of team selection...

Richard Moore looks certain to miss this, and the next few games, as his likely suspension kicks in.

Will Misi be fit? I'd be pretty sure he'll be selected if he is as Duffy has been singing his praises lately but that looks iffy based on some reports.

What happens with Hardman/Thacks? Do we keep Hardman at full back and Thacks at centre if Misi isn't ready to go? Seems unlikely Handley will be available based on Leeds' outside backs injury list.

Will John Davies be back? Hopefully Sunday was just Duffy playing it safe with his minor knock.

On the positive side, hopefully Mitch Clark will be available again as he isn't in the Cas 19-man squad named today for thier game on Thursday. With Moore out, we'll need him.

It's been a few years since most of us have held out any realistic hope of getting a result at Leigh away but there's definitely hope this time. Obviously they look more vulnerable than at any time for four or five years at the moment, but they're still a full-time team packed with former NRL stars, and who knows how Jukes leaving will impact them.

Should be a cracker.

Not heard anything yet.

see we have got Kendall as ref for Sunday with Hicks and Childs on the lines, not sure we will have much to come from that lineup 😂

Penalty to them under sticks in dying seconds for offside and i cant be held responsible for my actions. Still, if we bring enough vocal support I hope the officials will be put under pressure to be even handed. That's all we ask.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one . Think Ridyard and Hock will give it 110% against their former club and we will scrape a possible win.

As long as they're all fit (or in the case of Hock, fit enough to do a stint).

Centre is where I'd be worried given our current injuries. Ash Handley being available would be a bonus.

We have a NEW signing available to play against you guys !

‪MICKY HIGHAM SIGNS ONE YEAR FULL TIME PLAYING CONTRACT‬

‪Leigh Centurions are pleased to announce the signing of last year’s Club Captain Micky Higham on a full-time playing contract until the end of the season.‬

8 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

As long as they're all fit (or in the case of Hock, fit enough to do a stint).

Centre is where I'd be worried given our current injuries. Ash Handley being available would be a bonus.

Thackeray, made 2 tries, scored 2 tries...

• Like 1

Just now, Auntie Ruth said:

He did well on Sunday, but I still don't think he's a centre.

6 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Not heard anything yet.

see we have got Kendall as ref for Sunday with Hicks and Childs on the lines, not sure we will have much to come from that lineup 😂

These appointments are obviously either for:-

Preparation for Fev for their Middle 8 clashes against SL opponents, or the first 'get together' of Gareth Hock and Jamie Acton!;) (actually that's not likely to happen after Acton was pole-axed by Pettybourne on Sunday, leading to the latter's red card and the former failing his 'head test')

Looking forward with trepidation, to Riddy's return to LSV on Sunday. It will be good (?) to see a half back leading his team around the pitch, and kicking the opposition to death again. (something we haven't witnessed from one of our halves, since 2016!)

Hopefully, we Leythers will at least see a bit more passion from our team, with Micky Higham's return - at last, a Leyther in the squad!!

Having just drove to work in the snow and the weather forecast looking bleak there’s a possibility the game may be called off.Nowadays it’s not just the pitch but the surrounding public areas that need to be clear but obviously hope its not.

I’ve got a bad feeling that with them losing their coach and also our awful away performance at london, that we’ll take a battering on Sunday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Having just drove to work in the snow and the weather forecast looking bleak there’s a possibility the game may be called off.Nowadays it’s not just the pitch but the surrounding public areas that need to be clear but obviously hope its not.

Not as much snow in the Leigh area. 1-2 inches on Monday night, almost completely gone in the sun on Tuesday. Just a light dusting last night, but very cold. However, the under pitch heating will take care of that. Wish they had it in the seats though!;)

18 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I’ve got a bad feeling that with them losing their coach and also our awful away performance at london, that we’ll take a battering on Sunday. 

We would have to improve 100% for that to happen, on current form. Purtill & Higham may turn out to be good for us, but there's a mountain to climb to get this season back on track. We've been leading at half time in all our games, so far, but the Batley game excepted, have faded spectacularly in the second half.

11 hours ago, Auntie Ruth said:

And bottled two more walk ins.

I thought he did well, really well. Even so,  mid term it's not the answer.

22 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

And bottled two more walk ins.

I thought he did well, really well. Even so,  mid term it's not the answer.

...as did a couple more but we could go on all day. Can’t see who else could step in if all our ‘natural centres’ are unavailable, I’d take Handley if he’s free but not sure he will be, I’d stick with Thackeray....

The events of the last 48 hours have certainly changed the dynamics of this game, from booing their team off on Sunday Leigh fans have suddenly got the feelgood factor back. Let's hope we can nip that in the bud on Sunday. They won't suddenly become a SL team on the back of losing a coach and getting a 37-year-old back on the field, so we need to try and take the crowd and the emotional aspect out of it early on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Auntie Ruth said:

...as did a couple more but we could go on all day. Can’t see who else could step in if all our ‘natural centres’ are unavailable, I’d take Handley if he’s free but not sure he will be, I’d stick with Thackeray....

Sure mate. If you've got Ulugia, Walts and Misi injured and Handley too, then it's Thackers or a back-row. I thought he did enough to keep his place, but medium term he's clearly not a centre and a team much better than Sheff may target him heavily.

21 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Not heard anything yet.

Quote from the Leigh Forum - 
"cant see us getting the rub of the green with any of them 3"

The officials are having a bad game already by the looks of it...

3 hours ago, Auntie Ruth said:

I’d take Handley if he’s free but not sure he will be

well, he's in the Leeds 19...but Hall and Briscoe are back in...however Sutcliffe isn't in so they need a centre...but Lilley is in the squad so maybe they will switch Moon to centre...and in any case the game might not go ahead because of snow...now my brain hurts with all that thinking.