We may not be able to impact upon Russia in any meaningful sense, especially if we have to go it alone, but it is better for our perception of ourselves as well as that of other countries if we definitely DO something this time.  

Apparently our ambassador in Russia has been called in to see their foreign minister, which I assume is ###### for tat following our call in of their ambassador to see our foreign minister.  

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

A poll released today apparently has 52% of people supporting the idea of the UK teams boycotting the world cup.  (Perhaps this is a defensive move - better to look like we're making a statement than watch our teams get hammered!)

Probably. Also save our football hooligans from getting a good kicking by the Russian football hooligans as well. Faces saved all round.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Probably. Also save our football hooligans from getting a good kicking by the Russian football hooligans as well. Faces saved all round.

According to this article the 2010 World Cup was worth £1 Billion in Retail Spending to the UK economy, given the current state of the economy I'm not sure the government is in a position to even contemplate suggesting we withdraw from the World Cup.

Edit - Telegraph report in 2014 each England game is worth £400 million to the economy.

Edited by shrek

17 minutes ago, shrek said:

According to this article the 2010 World Cup was worth £1 Billion in Retail Spending to the UK economy, given the current state of the economy I'm not sure the government is in a position to even contemplate suggesting we withdraw from the World Cup.

Edit - Telegraph report in 2014 each England game is worth £400 million to the economy.

I was being rather facetious - probable should have added a :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I won't have contributed a single penny to that £1bn retail spending. :dry: 

54 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Russia needn't even consider the UK.

Any kind of tub thumping by us would have us swatted away like an errant child in the 60s.

All they'd need to do is turn the taps off.

Time to get fracking. If we are to burn fossil fuel it might as well be our own. Putin's Achilles heel is he needs to sell everything he can.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Time to get fracking. If we are to burn fossil fuel it might as well be our own. Putin's Achilles heel is he needs to sell everything he can.

Alternatively we could invest in renewables.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Alternatively we could invest in renewables.

Being blunt, renewables can't (yet) cover the gap.  We cut dirty coal and now really on slightly cleaner gas.  Over recent days gas has been providing up to 50% of our generating needs.  

The only 'clean' source from a CO2 point of view that gives us energy security is nuclear.  

23 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Putin's Achilles heel is he needs to sell everything he can.

Exactly the reason why he’s in Syria... can’t risk Europe getting more energy from the ME bypassing his supplies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Being blunt, renewables can't (yet) cover the gap.  We cut dirty coal and now really on slightly cleaner gas.  Over recent days gas has been providing up to 50% of our generating needs.  

The only 'clean' source from a CO2 point of view that gives us energy security is nuclear.  

Any why I think we should invest in nuclear... particularly MSR's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I watched Death of Stalin.

It was amusing but not really based on real life to any great extent.  To us, used to such things, it is unimportant.  To those used to Russia, it would be the UK state insulting Russia.  

Then you have pro-Western Russians, who to a Putin mindset must have swallowed Western propaganda.  Why would he not act the same?

This is not justification, but motive.

I understand and tbf i think i should have written in the rant thread.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

I was being rather facetious - probable should have added a :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I won't have contributed a single penny to that £1bn retail spending. :dry: 

Give over, I bet the Disco is going to be covered head to toe in St George paraphernalia and I bet you'll be tagged on Facebook, pint in hand during the must win game against Panama, when we all know you never normally start boozing till at least 1.30 on a Sunday!  :tongue:

Edited by shrek
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Exactly the reason why he’s in Syria... can’t risk Europe getting more energy from the ME bypassing his supplies. 

Of course there’s a flip side to that with that’s why the west is trying to destabilise Syria and overthrow Assad.

17 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Of course there’s a flip side to that with that’s why the west is trying to destabilise Syria and overthrow Assad.

I don’t disagree WS. The West will do what’s best for them and Russia vice-versa. The world is a competition and it’s not going to change anytime soon. I just know which side I’d prefer to be on. 

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don’t disagree WS. The West will do what’s best for them and Russia vice-versa. The world is a competition and it’s not going to change anytime soon. I just know which side I’d prefer to be on. 

Me too. Respecting international law and not destroying countries and killing millions of men, women and children for the fossil fuel industries and money.

11 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Me too. Respecting international law and not destroying countries and killing millions of men, women and children for the fossil fuel industries and money.

It’s hard to decipher who you are having a pop at there... the West? The Chinese? The Iranians? The Russians? I’m pretty certain at least three of those have actually been involved in conflicts in resource-rich areas in the last 30-40yrs and sell billions of pounds worth of weapons into those areas... even the Chinese are carving up locations and resources in those areas; guess they are killing less women, men and children though.

Edited by GeordieSaint

...by the way...I'm fine...just in case you were wondering...which you probably weren't!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

...by the way...I'm fine...just in case you were wondering...which you probably weren't!

Please do say hello to Arthur and Ford from me.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

How come this Russian spy was allowed into Britain was he not asked why he was here.

Part of a prisoner swap in the early 00s; British Intelligence had recruited him to pass classified Soviet/Russian information to us. The likes of Anna Chapman went in the other direction from the West...

Edited by GeordieSaint

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Part of a prisoner swap in the early 00s; British Intelligence had recruited him to pass classified Soviet/Russian information to us. The likes of Anna Chapman (and our own WS 😉) went in the other direction from the West...

Should have been given new identities and protection, moved away to a secluded spot.Spies are always in danger.

25 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Should have been given new identities and protection, moved away to a secluded spot.Spies are always in danger.

I would imagine they would have found him eventually, regardless of what was done to cover his tracks.  What I want to know is why the other Russian spies in the spy swap, the ones who went to the USA, have not died mysterious deaths/been attacked.  Why is the focus upon us?  Is Putin scared of America but not us?  Or do we have something he wants to crush that America does not?

15 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I would imagine they would have found him eventually, regardless of what was done to cover his tracks.  What I want to know is why the other Russian spies in the spy swap, the ones who went to the USA, have not died mysterious deaths/been attacked.  Why is the focus upon us?  Is Putin scared of America but not us?  Or do we have something he wants to crush that America does not?

I read that there are unwritten agreements between some countries. For example Israel is the most popular country of refuge for Russians and anti-Russian Ukrainians yet none have been assassinated there.

Maybe the same with the USA?

Edited by Niels

10 hours ago, Niels said:

I read that there are unwritten agreements between some countries. For example Israel is the most popular country of refuge for Russians and anti-Russian Ukrainians yet none have been assassinated there.

Maybe the same with the USA?

I suspect we have such an agreement.

And that's why it being broken - ALTHOUGH IT'S NOT BEEN PROVED IT'S THE RUSSIANS, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, YOU MSM SHILL - is such a big deal.

• Like 1