The leaks from the government are that May will announce repercussions not seen since the bad days of the Cold War.  It'll be interesting seeing what she actually does in her statement after PMQs.  There's no real win for May in this, if she launches into firm repercussions then that means yet another channel of disruption at a time when the country really can't do with more because of Brexit and Trump's trade war, if she doesn't then she sets up the country as fair game for others to use weapons of mass destruction on our shores.  I actually do have a lot of sympathy for May as she's really can't "win".

• Like 1

Just now, ckn said:

The leaks from the government are that May will announce repercussions not seen since the bad days of the Cold War.  It'll be interesting seeing what she actually does in her statement after PMQs.  There's no real win for May in this, if she launches into firm repercussions then that means yet another channel of disruption at a time when the country really can't do with more because of Brexit and Trump's trade war, if she doesn't then she sets up the country as fair game for others to use weapons of mass destruction on our shores.  I actually do have a lot of sympathy for May as she's really can't "win".

Whereas I have no sympathy because she should have long ago realised that our security depends on being as integrated with the EU as possible but she's allowed herself to be held hostage by the radical cliff-jump mob who just want blue passports and Empire.

That said, there's no decision she can make now that works.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Corbin doesn't like to help himself does he...

Like the NHS is an easy target against May, Russia and other dodgy nations are a weakness to Corbyn

11 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Corbin doesn't like to help himself does he...

He makes a very valid point. Badly. As per usual. :dry: 

Well I suspect if there's another GE in the next 12 months the Conservatives won't be receiving as nice a donation from the Russians. 

7 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

He makes a very valid point. Badly. As per usual. :dry: 

What was his point?

Just now, RidingPie said:

Well I suspect if there's another GE in the next 12 months the Conservatives won't be receiving as nice a donation from the Russians. 

Depends on if those Russians are aligned to Putin or not surely?

58 minutes ago, ckn said:

She’s got to instigate firm repercussions as the Russians don’t do compromise; they see it as weakness. I’m not suggesting War of course but dispelling diplomats should be backed up by economic measures too. Corbyn is off his rocker if he thinks solely talking to the Russians will help.

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

She’s got to instigate firm repercussions as the Russians don’t do compromise; they see it as weakness. I’m not suggesting War of course but dispelling diplomats should be backed up by economic measures too. Corbyn is off his rocker if he thinks solely talking to the Russians will help.

Corbyn just looked stupid.  He should have taken a leaf from the SNP's response of unequivocal support to the government with a few recommendations added.

The Russians have responded:

On 14 of March Russian Ambassador Alexander Yakovenko was summoned to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office where he was informed that 23 diplomats were declared personae non gratae.

We consider this hostile action as totally unacceptable, unjustified and shortsighted.

All the responsibility for the deterioration of the Russia-UK relationship lies with the current political leadership of Britain.

Nice of them to call our actions "hostile".

19 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

The likes of Anna Chapman went in the other direction from the West...

No doubt she'll be looking over her shoulder when she next visits a Moscow restaurant ?

33 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

No doubt she'll be looking over her shoulder when she next visits a Moscow restaurant ?

The only danger she has worry about is whether a Maill Online ‘journalist’ gets hold of her Facebook or Instagram images, they were obsessed with her.

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Hit him in the pocket (and the pockets of his mates).  

Based on what I remember from May's speech, they intend to do that but they want to do it lawfully, acknowledging that there are decent Russians living here (rich or otherwise) who should not be penalised for Putin's actions.

I was disappointed not to hear anything about RT.  I'd like that to be shut down, although I realise that all British media would then be banned from Russia.  However, I'm not that bothered personally.

I thought May's speech was a good one.  She did the obvious immediate response but made it clear that there were more actions in the pipeline, keeping it all above the law and keeping some things back should anything further happen.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Based on what I remember from May's speech, they intend to do that but they want to do it lawfully, acknowledging that there are decent Russians living here (rich or otherwise) who should not be penalised for Putin's actions.

I was disappointed not to hear anything about RT.  I'd like that to be shut down, although I realise that all British media would then be banned from Russia.  However, I'm not that bothered personally.

I thought May's speech was a good one.  She did the obvious immediate response but made it clear that there were more actions in the pipeline, keeping it all above the law and keeping some things back should anything further happen.

I think she talked about state owned assets, not the assets of oligarchs.  

10 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think she talked about state owned assets, not the assets of oligarchs.  

If you want to teach them a real lesson, and make them understand, announce a troop deployment of an increase in combat 'trainers' to Ukraine.

24 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

If you want to teach them a real lesson, and make them understand, announce a troop deployment of an increase in combat 'trainers' to Ukraine.

We’d need some bloody soldiers for that...

• Like 1

I think Mrs May has done just about all that she could, with the exception of kicking the ambassador out.  Not sure what the point of continued dialogue with the Russians is, they are not honest players. I'd like to see us working with France to block access to Russian ships wanting to sail the Dover straight too.

It was heartening to see most of the commons get behind the government in this national emergency.  In my opinion Russia's actions are only one step away from actual warfare.

Shamful performance from Corbyn, again seeking to make a pointless political point about cuts to the diplomatic service, as if that would have made any difference.  Thankfully, the real Labour Party sat behind him seem to have a bit more than lentils between their ears.

SNP leader, DUP and Vince Cable played it absolutely right.

Are those aircraft carriers ready yet?  I reckon we'll be needing them sooner rather than later.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I think Mrs May has done just about all that she could, with the exception of kicking the ambassador out.  Not sure what the point of continued dialogue with the Russians is, they are not honest players. I'd like to see us working with France to block access to Russian ships wanting to sail the Dover straight too.

International treaties would prevent that.  They have every right to transit the channel.  

The scariest thing about this is that we have a weak Prime Minister who is going to use this as a way to try and prove how tough she is. The media will do it’s best to help her but she will come off looking even more useless and ineffectual. 

55 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

International treaties would prevent that.  They have every right to transit the channel.  

I'm pretty sure there are international treaties that stop you trying to kill folk on the streets of a foreign country too.

• Like 2