Sign in to follow this  
wiggler

why no RED devils at st helens?

I have just been watching the super league show and it made me chuckle that for a team that includes the word 'red' in it's title the colour red was strikingly absent from the away kit.  I cannot see the branding logic of calling yourself red and then turning out in predominantly black and blue.  I know the opposition were in red and white but more red on the socks or shorts would work and reinforce the brand name rather than detracting from it.   What colours will Salford wear away when the home team does not wear red?  Black and blue?

Whilst I am on, I quite like the new logo as an artwork but where is the 'devil' from the club name?  And why show a willow tree when the club gave up playing at The Willows back in 2011?  Heritage is all well and good but a willow tree as the main component seems overkill and lacks marketing punch.  Come to think of it were there actually any willow trees at The Willows?  I can recall seeing Bernard Manning there but no willow trees!

Seriously bud? Were you watching on 405 lines or something? There is a red chevron across the chest of the Salford alternate kit. The RFL's operational rules require that each club's alternate kit should have a different base colour to its main kit, which, in Salford's case, effectively means little or no red. It wouldn't be fulfilling the basic requirements of an alternate kit otherwise now would it?

It's also worth bearing in mind that the ersatz Red Devils - Manchester United, an Association Football club, and the second biggest in Greater Manchester, no less - have this as their alternate kit. Notice anything missing? I mean completely missing? It's red. Not a trace of it. It doesn't appear to have adversely affected their marketing, as there seems to be no end of people willing to be fleeced by them.

The Willow tree on the club badge is etymological, not sentimental. The Willow is of the genus Salix  which forms the basis of the name Salford ("the Willow ford" or "the Willow by the ford"). The old stadium was named after the city's etymological origin.

Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure what you mean by 405 lines.  It was on bbc2.  I could see a little red (don' tforget the collar) but black and blue predominate

.  As stated I would expect to see more as red is part of the team name.  Hull FC's primary home colour is black and their away strip features a pink and black shirt, black shorts and black socks.  I could see the black quite clearly on the same tv that I could barely see the red on the Salford kit.  Perhaps Salford Red Devils could take a leaf out of Hull's book? 

Manchester United do not feature the word red in their club name so the comparison seems a little tenuous.  Manchester United (whom I neither love nor hate) have created a worldwide brand whereas Salford RL struggle to come up with a consistent imagery or team name.   Man Utd - major worldwide brand in arguably the world's biggest sport.  Salford/Salford City Reds/Salford Red Devils - weak brand in a minority sport.  We cannot compare apples with lemons.

Very interesting to learn about the origins of the city name.  I was not aware of that.  I can see the logic now but would still question the value of etymology when it comes to marketing.  It may be a bit  arcane for younger customers.  Just seems a bit incongruous to add the words red and devil to the club name and then largely drop the colour from the away kit and not feature the devil in the logo.  Still I hope it works for the club. 

Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my ramblings with some well made interesting points.

On 3/22/2018 at 5:04 PM, wiggler said:

Very interesting to learn about the origins of the city name.  I was not aware of that.  I can see the logic now but would still question the value of etymology when it comes to marketing.  It may be a bit  arcane for younger customers.  Just seems a bit incongruous to add the words red and devil to the club name and then largely drop the colour from the away kit and not feature the devil in the logo.  Still I hope it works for the club. 

Like the shirts the logo needs explaining (missing entirely the point of a logo) and the answer is like fog. You're very polite and that's great, but really?

Swallow ford, Salt Ford and other offerings are available I believe.

And you're right marketing wise it's rubbish like so much in RL.

On 3/22/2018 at 5:04 PM, wiggler said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure what you mean by 405 lines.  It was on bbc2.  I could see a little red (don' tforget the collar) but black and blue predominate

.  As stated I would expect to see more as red is part of the team name.  Hull FC's primary home colour is black and their away strip features a pink and black shirt, black shorts and black socks.  I could see the black quite clearly on the same tv that I could barely see the red on the Salford kit.  Perhaps Salford Red Devils could take a leaf out of Hull's book? 

Manchester United do not feature the word red in their club name so the comparison seems a little tenuous.  Manchester United (whom I neither love nor hate) have created a worldwide brand whereas Salford RL struggle to come up with a consistent imagery or team name.   Man Utd - major worldwide brand in arguably the world's biggest sport.  Salford/Salford City Reds/Salford Red Devils - weak brand in a minority sport.  We cannot compare apples with lemons.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my ramblings with some well made interesting points.

Back in the days when televisions were the size of a small new-build terraced house, the pictures were drawn in lines rather than by pixel. 405 lines was one of the formats used (the other was the superior 625 lines). 405 lines was, I think, mostly for black and white TV. It meant that each picture broadcast consisted of 405 lines, which in turn meant that it wasn't particularly clear, certainly not when compared to the HD TVs of today.

Anyhoo, back to the tale...

Hull's change strip is predominantly pink, with the black appearing as indistinct lines within it. I doubt Salford could do anything similar (i.e.produce a design with much red in) because any such design would likely clash with the Wigan and Saints main shirts.

As for the devil in the badge, well, yes, I think it would have been better. However, the club's mascot is a devil, and I think they'd be better served using that as a marketing device rather than the badge. Even better would be to have something worth marketing and then to actually market it, regardless of badge design or mascot. Under Marwan, you could argue that they had the makings of the first of these, but they did next to nothing to market it (in fact, they pretty much engaged in negative marketing, and were driving people away). The new regime at the club now appears to be really getting out into the community and doing the things that I suspect other clubs take for granted, and they do seem to make plenty of use of the mascot. It's just a shame that the team isn't quite as strong this year.