Manfred Mann

What would you prefer on TV: an extra Super League game or the current setup plus one Championship game?

Would you prefer an extra Super League game on TV, or the current setup plus a Championship game each week?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer an extra Super League game on TV each week, or the current setup plus a Championship game each week?

• I prefer an extra Super League game each week
    • I prefer the current setup plus one Championship game each week

Currently Sky shows 2 and 1/2 Super League games each week (the half being the Catalans home games) and no Championship games. Premier Sports shows Toronto's games.

For the next Sky TV contract starting in 2022 we have a chance to renegotiate the number of games shown. I am assuming that Sky will still be interested in having rugby league.

If Toulouse and Catalans are both in Super League in 2022 then Sky could be showing 3 Super League games each week (assuming that Catalans and Toulouse home games are scheduled not to coincide) without any change in contract value, because Sky gives its English video feed to BeIN in France and gets the French BeIN video feed in return.  

But let us leave aside the anomaly of the French clubs' home games, which is likely to continue. If the Championship continues to be an interesting and high quality competition in the top tier (Boston, Hamilton, and maybe even another French or north American club could be there in 2022), would you like to see one Championship game each week sold to TV in addition to the existing Super League setup, or would you prefer an extra non-French Super League game on TV? 

Remember that Super League in 2022 might contain Toronto and New York. each of which would likely play home games on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and whose home games therefore could be telecast on a British Saturday or Sunday night -- time slots which Sky currently does not use for rugby league. Presumably having the new north American teams as new rugby league content would make a difference to the value of the Sky contract for the RFL, and give it a higher price than the Championship would be worth.

Edited by Manfred Mann

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Both. On Sky Sports League. 

In the real world, Super League.

Please vote

16 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Please vote

Done.

As a complete aside, I found out the other day that the theme tune to the Beeb’s TV coverage (Stand Up by The Prodigy) is essentially a Manfred Mann tune (as no doubt you are aware!)

Edited by Man of Kent

Current set up plus a Championship game each week would be ideal for me.  There were some brilliant games of rugby in the Championship when Premier had the rights to that league.  I knew when Sky took on the Championship it would die a death on TV and it has.  Premier did such a good job of it and I've really missed seeing the games at that level.  Only by watching the Wolfpack matches can I now enjoy Championship rugby league as that is all that is left now of rugby league on Premier Sports.  They are well worth watching too.  

• Like 2

Super league. I know its a nice idea to reach out to the championship, but if we think there is any chance we get the money and visibility from a championship game we would get from another SL game we are kidding ourselves.

All SL games should be televised, there are a lot more people who will pay to watch a game on tv than attend one. We have to monetise them.

Thats not to say there isnt a place for the Championship (and league 1 on TV), if we can get it on there, i would question whether they would be prepared to do what needs to be done to get sky (or someone else) interested.

Clearly there needs to be one Championship game which rotates around so each team gets some exposure....people have to watch though to keep it going....I think there is a market....attendances on game night if televised should also improve?

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Super league. I know its a nice idea to reach out to the championship, but if we think there is any chance we get the money and visibility from a championship game we would get from another SL game we are kidding ourselves.

All SL games should be televised, there are a lot more people who will pay to watch a game on tv than attend one. We have to monetise them.

Thats not to say there isnt a place for the Championship (and league 1 on TV), if we can get it on there, i would question whether they would be prepared to do what needs to be done to get sky (or someone else) interested.

Hey Scotchy my post came up the same time as yours and we have different opinions: for once?  Sorry man.

Edited by Kayakman

3 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Or would you rather have only two SL games, no champonship and no Catalans games?

That's the most likely possibility of the lot next year. 

Nobody would prefer that option. Why do you say that it is most likely next year?

18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hey Scotchy my post came up the same time as yours and we have different opinions: for once?  Sorry man.

Haha.

I dont even really disagree with you. I think it is important to get the championship (and league 1) on tv and monetise the RL fan for them, however there is a but so huge even Sir-mix-alot would think was too big at the end of that.

The whole game struggles for money and visibility. We have to take it where we can, and make the most of it. SL is worth about 500k a game and usually between about 80k to 150k viewers. The Championship, well, it isnt. Even if we could get half the averages for the remaining 3.5games a week. That would give us another (roughly) £25m a year in TV revenue and about 120k-225k viewers a week. We arent in a position to turn that down.

Though i would agree with Man of Kent. 12hrs of live content of SL + 12 hours of live content of the championship + 16 hours live content of the NRL, plus ancillary content and repeats is an RL channel. And thats the ideal answer.

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Haha.

I dont even really disagree with you. I think it is important to get the championship (and league 1) on tv and monetise the RL fan for them, however there is a but so huge even Sir-mix-alot would think was too big at the end of that.

The whole game struggles for money and visibility. We have to take it where we can, and make the most of it. SL is worth about 500k a game and usually between about 80k to 150k viewers. The Championship, well, it isnt. Even if we could get half the averages for the remaining 3.5games a week. That would give us another (roughly) £25m a year in TV revenue and about 120k-225k viewers a week. We arent in a position to turn that down.

Though i would agree with Man of Kent. 12hrs of live content of SL + 12 hours of live content of the championship + 16 hours live content of the NRL, plus ancillary content and repeats is an RL channel. And thats the ideal answer.

I see...I see...what are the ratings for the Wolpack games,do you know roughly?

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Clearly there needs to be one Championship game which rotates around so each team gets some exposure....people have to watch though to keep it going....I think there is a market....attendances on game night if televised should also improve?

TWP have a TV contract with Premier Sports, which was once upon a time, not so long ago, the broadcaster for Championship  games along with the odd SL game and NRL. The new Sky contract saw an end to that.Why would Sky suddenly change the viewing habits to show something they bought the rights to not accommodate?

I voted. I prefer the current setup plus one Championship game each week. Something the new Sky contract promised at one point.

Edited by SL17

18 minutes ago, SL17 said:

TWP have a TV contract with Premier Sports, which was once upon a time, not so long ago, the broadcaster for Championship  games along with the odd SL game and NRL. The new Sky contract saw an end to that.Why would Sky suddenly change the viewing habits to show something they bought the rights to not accommodate?

I voted. I prefer the current setup plus one Championship game each week. Something the new Sky contract promised at one point.

Thats what I voted for too!  But everything you talk about is only in the UK right?...what about Canada/USA?...,got any info to share Man...would be gratefully appreciated!

"Run With The Pack!"

Edited by Kayakman

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Thats what I voted for too!  But everything you talk about is only in the UK right?...what about Canada/USA?...,got any info to share Man...would be gratefully appreciated!

"Run With The Pack!"

Pay them loads of money and you'll get what you want.

Who do I pay?...and how much????....and what do I get????

These are the relevant questions of the day.

40 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Who do I pay?...and how much????....and what do I get????

These are the relevant questions of the day.

Are you geo locked to all Australian channels?

I’d really like a good highlights package of the Championship for us in the UK to follow on a weekly basis.

I think that would give good exposure to a number of clubs who deserve the opportunity to build around it.

I voted for the extra SL game, but could easily of voted the other way as the Championship has been fascinating so far.

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

Are you geo locked to all Australian channels?

You are going to laugh...but I don't even know what that means.

There's only so many times I can watch Warrington in a year.  And i think I've reached that number already this year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

There's only so many times I can watch Warrington in a year.  And i think I've reached that number already this year.

This is a great point. I'm feel like already getting burned out on SL this season, and we are only three or four weeks in! With only 12 teams, and quite often three matches per weekend, you are going to get the feeling of 'same old, same old' pretty quickly. Especially when some of the teams are not all that entertaining! 

Mixing in a few Championship games would bring some freshness.

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

This is a great point. I'm feel like already getting burned out on SL this season, and we are only three or four weeks in! With only 12 teams, and quite often three matches per weekend, you are going to get the feeling of 'same old, same old' pretty quickly. Especially when some of the teams are not all that entertaining! 

Mixing in a few Championship games would bring some freshness.

Would it? I mean that as an honest question.

I think what we would see isnt that there would be an injection of freshness keeping people interested. I think we would simply see fewer people watching. 

Its a strange thing RL seems to have in that it massively underestimates the potential of SL and massively overestimates the attractiveness of the lower leagues. We have to be realistic about how attractive it is, both to TV companies and viewers. The average attendance is about 1500, many clubs measure their attendances in the hundreds.