Gerrumonside ref

Koukash and new Cumbrian club - good idea?

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

Yet another menaingless pie-in-the-sky thread about something that has no chance of ever happening.

And yet you felt the need to post in here, how very odd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

He'd be better off buying Newcastle imo. A lot of great development work is going on in the NE and I'd love to see them in SL one day. 

I agree that Newcastle are ripe for investment at the moment, RL really needs to put some effort into keeping up the momentum in the North East, they are doing some brilliant work and all power to them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
34 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

Yet another menaingless pie-in-the-sky thread about something that has no chance of ever happening.

Stranger things have happened like the rebirth of GB 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
7 minutes ago, dkw said:

I agree that Newcastle are ripe for investment at the moment, RL really needs to put some effort into keeping up the momentum in the North East, they are doing some brilliant work and all power to them.

100% agree. I'm more impressed with the development of grassroots RL in the north east and don't see why the game can't develop and grow even more both at grassroots and professionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dkw said:

I agree that Newcastle are ripe for investment at the moment, RL really needs to put some effort into keeping up the momentum in the North East, they are doing some brilliant work and all power to them.

The present owner isn't short of a few bob,since buying the Falcons he has overseen a gradual improvement in both the offield and on field sides of the club,the Thunder seem to be following a similar path but have obviously started from a lower point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

The present owner isn't short of a few bob,since buying the Falcons he has overseen a gradual improvement in both the offield and on field sides of the club,the Thunder seem to be following a similar path but have obviously started from a lower point.

Is he directly investing into Thunder? I didnt realise that, I just thought the partnership was about using the same facilities etc. thats good to know, even though the sods have taken a few players from us lately I really hope they keep this going this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dkw said:

And yet you felt the need to post in here, how very odd.

Its all talk though DKW, where exactly would such a side play ?  People in Carlisle wouldn't be interested and the likes of you and I who have supported Town and Barrow for years, would stay true to their own clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dkw said:

Is he directly investing into Thunder? I didnt realise that, I just thought the partnership was about using the same facilities etc. thats good to know, even though the sods have taken a few players from us lately I really hope they keep this going this time.

Both clubs fall under Newcastle Rugby Ltd whicy is owned by Semore Kurdi who has turned the Falcons from premiership yo yo team into a solid top 6 outfit.

His policy seems to be steady improvement built on good policies rather than just throwing cash about,my own lad was in there youth system for a number of years and the transformation in the youth set up when he came onboard was startling.

Whilst I'm sure the RU side accounts for the majority of his funding the RL side seems to be coming along nicely with the danger to Cumbrian clubs that they will start turning their attention to our area for youth players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Both clubs fall under Newcastle Rugby Ltd whicy is owned by Semore Kurdi who has turned the Falcons from premiership yo yo team into a solid top 6 outfit.

His policy seems to be steady improvement built on good policies rather than just throwing cash about,my own lad was in there youth system for a number of years and the transformation in the youth set up when he came onboard was startling.

Whilst I'm sure the RU side accounts for the majority of his funding the RL side seems to be coming along nicely with the danger to Cumbrian clubs that they will start turning their attention to our area for youth players.

I believe the thunder already have a few west Cumbrians in their u15’ and u16’s sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Both clubs fall under Newcastle Rugby Ltd whicy is owned by Semore Kurdi who has turned the Falcons from premiership yo yo team into a solid top 6 outfit.

His policy seems to be steady improvement built on good policies rather than just throwing cash about,my own lad was in there youth system for a number of years and the transformation in the youth set up when he came onboard was startling.

Whilst I'm sure the RU side accounts for the majority of his funding the RL side seems to be coming along nicely with the danger to Cumbrian clubs that they will start turning their attention to our area for youth players.

Great news for the north east, like I said hopefully this time its sustainable rather than the flash ni the pan a few years ago that saw them climb out of the league then crash.

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

I believe the thunder already have a few west Cumbrians in their u15’ and u16’s sides.

I believe Thunder were trying to annex Cumbria as part of their youth catchment area earlier this season, not sure what came of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

Its all talk though DKW, where exactly would such a side play ?  People in Carlisle wouldn't be interested and the likes of you and I who have supported Town and Barrow for years, would stay true to their own clubs.

Is it not also about thinking of the young people in Cumbria and their future opportunities too?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dkw said:

Great news for the north east, like I said hopefully this time its sustainable rather than the flash ni the pan a few years ago that saw them climb out of the league then crash.

I believe Thunder were trying to annex Cumbria as part of their youth catchment area earlier this season, not sure what came of it. 

It's the sort of thinking that could work in Cumbria rather than Koucash's Salford model of just throwing cash at the first team,the only problem would fans of any new club in this area settle for a steady progress and say a 5yr plan to reach a possible Superleague place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It's the sort of thinking that could work in Cumbria rather than Koucash's Salford model of just throwing cash at the first team,the only problem would fans of any new club in this area settle for a steady progress and say a 5yr plan to reach a possible Superleague place.

I would say now is probably as good a time as any to do it with less and less diehard town/haven fans around, and seemingly more young uns interested in rugby league and super league in general. Aim to get them interested rather than the 1500 or so diehards, some if whom would probably also go to watch a new "Franchise". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dkw said:

I would say now is probably as good a time as any to do it with less and less diehard town/haven fans around, and seemingly more young uns interested in rugby league and super league in general. Aim to get them interested rather than the 1500 or so diehards, some if whom would probably also go to watch a new "Franchise". 

Would we have anything to lose,I'm probably like a lot of fans,used to attend most Haven home game & the odd Town one (sshhhh) but now apart from an occasional outing only watch NCL rugby ,it is these and new fans that a new club needs to attract,a lot of the diehards will follow,some won't but let's face it they won't make or break anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Aug 2018

Rugby League World - Aug 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here