Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Super League 1 & 2

New structure rumoured to be two leagues of 10 with p&r between them. 

Dont know how true it is but it has been one of the structures discussed by SL clubs before I believe

IMG_1947.PNG

• Like 2

They'll still find a convoluted way to play 27 games before the play offs..

Bet they play each team home,away & "on the road"

10 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

They'll still find a convoluted way to play 27 games before the play offs..

Bet they play each team home,away & "on the road"

9 on the road games would be a bit much!

Most likely be 3x to make 27 fixtures. One will be Magic, other 8 split 4 home and 4 away.

Hate it though. 14 with P&R would be much better.

They wouldn't be able to do it next year either. You'd get a lot of lawsuits coming from club owners who started the season under the premise of the current 8s system. You'd have to have an MPG between 2nd and 3rd in the 8s otherwise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd always assumed 2x10 was home and away in your own division (SL1 or SL2) and then cross division fixtures. 

• Like 1

Something like this then?

SL 1
Castleford
Leeds
Hull FC
St Helens
Wigan
Warrington
Wakefield
Huddersfield
Salford
Widnes

SL 2
Hull KR  (on current standings)
Catalans  (on current standings)
London Broncos
Toulouse
Featherstone
Toronto
Halifax
Leigh
New York
Boston/Hamilton/Batley/Dewsbury/?

Would the MPG be between 2nd & 3rd in the 8s this year?

It seems like a lot of repeat fixtures, but that happens already. Perhaps home and away, then magic, 2 road games, 3 extra home or away?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I'd always assumed 2x10 was home and away in your own division (SL1 or SL2) and then cross division fixtures. 

Why would you play teams form a separate competition?

6 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Like the 8s?

Or the WCC? 

Or the challenge cup?

Or internationals? 

But those arent separate competitions.

The middle 8s is a competition between the 4 worst SL clubs and the 4 best championship clubs to determine who will be playing in the the Super League the following seaosn

The WCC is a competition to determine the champion between the 2 champions of the two professional RL compeitions

The Challenge cup is a knockout competion organized by the RFL.

I don't even know what you mean by internationals.

Why would Leeds who is competing to be the champions of SL1 play matches against teams in SL2 competing for promotion? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, emesssea said:

But those arent separate competitions.

The middle 8s is a competition between the 4 worst SL clubs and the 4 best championship clubs to determine who will be playing in the the Super League the following seaosn

The WCC is a competition to determine the champion between the 2 champions of the two professional RL compeitions

The Challenge cup is a knockout competion organized by the RFL.

I don't even know what you mean by internationals.

Why would Leeds who is competing to be the champions of SL1 play matches against teams in SL2 competing for promotion? 

Why not?

In reality, even now, you have teams challenging to win the GF playing teams trying to avoid relegation. 

Are HKR going to make the semis this year? Why do Leeds have to play them?

Just as teams from SL2 won't win the GF that year, it's a stepping stone. It equalises standards in the full-time professional leagues over a period of time. Long term over short term. 

I'd prefer 2 equal conferences, but that may be too soon. 

How do you propose arranging sufficient fixtures with 10 teams? 

4 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Why not?

In reality, even now, you have teams challenging to win the GF playing teams trying to avoid relegation. 

Just as teams from SL2 won't win the GF that year, it's a stepping stone. It equalises standards in the full-time professional leagues over a period of time. Long term over short term. 

Thats not the same at all Hull KR, Leeds and the 10 other Super League teams are playing in a competitions where the top 8 qualify for the Super 8s, and the bottom 4 go to the middle 8s. What is the point of playing teams in other competitions, its mickey mouse. Is Man City playing Real Madrid or Leyton Orient to win the Premier League?

19 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Thats not the same at all Hull KR, Leeds and the 10 other Super League teams are playing in a competitions where the top 8 qualify for the Super 8s, and the bottom 4 go to the middle 8s. What is the point of playing teams in other competitions, its mickey mouse. Is Man City playing Real Madrid or Leyton Orient to win the Premier League?

Will Leyton Orient or Real Madrid have the opportunity to play in the Premier League the following season after playing these fixtures? 

How do you define 'different competition' ?

Again, how do you propose to generate sufficient fixtures with 10 teams? Or do you think 18 is enough?  

Find replace leyton orient with Derby County, either way it would be mickey mouse.

Its not that hard to define 'different competition'

Competition is defined as: a contest for a prize, per dictionary.com; thus SL1 clubs and SL2 clubs would be competing for different prizes, thus they are different competitions.

The sufficient fixture for 10 teams is up to the league, be 18 round for 50,000,000,000,000 rounds. Whatever is considered optimal. Personally, I think 10 teams is too small of a league. If I had to pick a format I would say 16 teams with 24 rounds, with the top 8 making the playoffs. I think theres another league that has that format, and it seems to work well for them.

Will there be P&R to and from super league 2 or will it be a closed shop of 20 fulltime professional teams??

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

9 on the road games would be a bit much!

Most likely be 3x to make 27 fixtures. One will be Magic, other 8 split 4 home and 4 away.

Hate it though. 14 with P&R would be much better.

They wouldn't be able to do it next year either. You'd get a lot of lawsuits coming from club owners who started the season under the premise of the current 8s system. You'd have to have an MPG between 2nd and 3rd in the 8s otherwise!

This. 14 team super league with P&R of 2 teams. Each team plays each other twice both and and away and keep magic weekend giving you 27 rounds before a either a top4  or top8 straight shootout playoff format.

55 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Will there be P&R to and from super league 2 or will it be a closed shop of 20 fulltime professional teams??

It would be interesting how P&R's biggest fans will be split on the issue.

8 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

New structure rumoured to be two leagues of 10 with p&r between them. 

Dont know how true it is but it has been one of the structures discussed by SL clubs before I believe

IMG_1947.PNG

Further down on that line of tweets im sure Michael Carter say 'i must have missed this meeting' ,so im not sure how much truth is in this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Why not?

They are completely different competitions. They have different prizes at stake. Some would deem it unfair to have one affect the other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

Cross division fixtures only work in a conference format like with North American sports like baseball and basketball ball.

Maybe Carter is invited to the SL2 one so didn’t miss the main one?

i have forever thought that a franchised SL1 and 2 with cross division games gives us the most effective way to encourage investment, variety, expansion and player development. I should have copyrighted the idea... 

Rod Studd just likes to whinge and argue with people on Twitter. I wouldn’t trust anything he says about RL

• Like 3

SL1 and 2 wont work with cross-conference games. It makes no sense to decide the champions of your competition by playing teams not in the competition. Either you are a single competition playing for the same thing or different competitions playing for different things.

Im still not sure of why people think a rebadged championship would be any kind of game changer. It will make no difference. Im also not sure of which of the issues the game faces would be addressed by this. 

However having said that, i dont think the 2x10 is what they are looking at, i think its a bit of a smokescreen and what we will see will be something completely different.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Im still not sure of why people think a rebadged championship would be any kind of game changer. It will make no difference. Im also not sure of which of the issues the game faces would be addressed by this. 

Agreed. When they changed it from 'National League One' to the 'Championship' i'm pretty sure they were following the lead of football which re-branded Division One to the 'Championship'in 2004.  Although the Football League Championship has continued to grow in popularity it already had a long history as a fully professional league and football's popularity in general has continued to grow.  

I'm not sure that another re-brand will change anything, being relegated to 'Super League 2' instead of the 'Championship' will do little to soften the financial blow that comes with relegation.  Teams will still take financial gambles to get promoted and get the Sky money, then go bust when it goes wrong.    

Hypothetically what happens if the expansion teams have stronger financial backing in Super League 2 than the traditional clubs? Within a few years you could end up with a top flight that only has 6 English teams in it.  Would the English SL1 clubs still be happy with the new structure when they have to travel overseas for half of their away fixtures and half of their home fixtures have very few away fans coming through the turnstiles? Or on the other side of the coin what if Catalans get relegated and go the way of Bradford Bulls?  Twelve years hard work in Perpignan down the drain.  

Edited by skep155
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Cross division fixtures only work in a conference format like with North American sports like baseball and basketball ball.

I'm not saying I agree it was just what I thought the premise was. IMO we haven't got enough teams of quality for this but SL clubs playing each other 3x would be a nightmare. It is a bloody mess with self-serving clubs (who are now in control) worrying firstly about how money will be divided up and second what structure is best for the game. 

• Like 2

A conference system with cross divisional games would be great, but I'm not sure how it could be split evenly or whether we have 20 strong enough teams to make it work.

I like the idea of two conferences of equal standing with the champion of each clashing in a huge Grand Final event after a playoff system.

I think if the future is joining forces with NA teams like Toronto then this will be the way to go, eventually.

Unfortunately in 2018, the reality is there’s not enough money to go around to put in place the system I’d like to see.

How do the Aussies do it?  

Edited by Gerrumonside ref