Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Gareth O’Brien off to Toronto

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Salford letting him go with immediate effect, according to BBC Manchester.

Wow, didn’t expect that. What position do you think he’ll play for Toronto? I’m surprised SRD let him go, unless they really are in financial bother 

Aaron Bower says a fee is involved so not let go. Is there no salary cap in the championship?

12 minutes ago, snapski said:

Is there no salary cap in the championship?

You'd have to think that shifting out Bailey, Taylor and Moi Moi would free up a fair old wedge

• Like 2

He's a good player. Will make a difference to Toronto. Salford could go down this year if they start to let alot of talent go....already Murdoch Masila, Caton brown and now him. 

I wonder who else TWP will bring in. They need another 6-8 players to have a shot at going up.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, snapski said:

Aaron Bower says a fee is involved so not let go. Is there no salary cap in the championship?

The SC in the Championship is the same as the SL isn’t it?

• Like 2

Quite frankly this is a sign of intent by both clubs. I fear the worst for Salford. First we sold BMM to Wire to settled a tax bill. Now this.

I was disillusioned at the start of the season, now I am thinking this will be the last season.

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

The SC in the Championship is the same as the SL isn’t it?

It's sheer madness but yes....it's the same so the competition is very unfair in that sense. 

Should play fullback for TWP. Been excellent for Salford there and as good as QLT is at running the ball he’s not a standout at this level at #1. 

2 minutes ago, Mushy said:

Should play fullback for TWP. Been excellent for Salford there and as good as QLT is at running the ball he’s not a standout at this level at #1. 

Agreed, he's a great bloke, but QLT is a defensive liability. Brierly also can be targeted by better teams.  The London game showed the frailties in the Wolfpack backline defence.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

He's a good player. Will make a difference to Toronto. Salford could go down this year if they start to let alot of talent go....already Murdoch Masila, Caton brown and now him. 

I wonder who else TWP will bring in. They need another 6-8 players to have a shot at going up.

No if they keep picking off Salford's better players.

Edited by Scubby

I got told by someone at the TWP who knows that they have some BIG signings in the works..guess this is the first.

1 minute ago, Bullseye said:

I fear for Salford.  

So do I. 

I also agree that Toronto will splash some big money later in the season and go full tilt at the Super 8's. There are a couple of SL sides currently ripe for the taking. 

Ofcourse their biggest challenge will then be convincing Ralph that they deserve to be in Super League.

is it that tough to find investors (and RL fanatics) who will put money into teams?

There's folks here in North America specifically in the US but also in Canada (population 35mill) who love their sports teams and who pour money in...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lewis said:

So do I. 

I also agree that Toronto will splash some big money later in the season and go full tilt at the Super 8's. There are a couple of SL sides currently ripe for the taking. 

Ofcourse their biggest challenge will then be convincing Ralph that they deserve to be in Super League.

They really need to get in the top two in the Championship, that will give them four home games in Toronto during the 8s. That could make the difference. Definitely need some extra quality first though.

5 minutes ago, ojx said:

They really need to get in the top two in the Championship, that will give them four home games in Toronto during the 8s. That could make the difference. Definitely need some extra quality first though.

I think the run of home games in the 2nd half of the season helps them. I would expect a few signed up before that streak begins. 

43 minutes ago, snapski said:

Wouldn’t have minded him at Cas to be fair.

I would have liked him at Catalans. He's a good solid Half Back / Full Back. Will do a good job at SL level, and be outstanding at championship level. 

2 hours ago, Bullseye said:

Finance must be an issue at Salford.   No other explanation.

Well there is.  TWP might have made an offer. Gaz found out about it and made it clear he wanted to go leaving them no choice.

Leigh and Salford should merge.  Become a West Manchester super club. Neither club can make a go of it at the top level as they are imo.

• Like 1