Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

The Codebreakers BBC2 Wales documentary on now.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Tom Moore said:

That's the best sports documentary I've ever watched.

Now that is high praise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oxford said:

I often thought this image would make  a model for a great TGG trophy!

image.jpeg.495002f58d1f308027504c9c703e9887.jpeg

As anyone else got a great image of a  Welsh RL player that would fit the bill for this idea?

23499336658_80726b5384_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Padge said:

23499336658_80726b5384_b.jpg

I don't ever mind giving a statue and a TGG hero a bit of coverage Padge but it was an image that could be made into a statue or trophy I meant. I have lots of favourite images from the past and the present but finding one that shows what TGG's all about and the nature of the player involved is hard to find. Have you got one? Does anyone have one?

It seems to me we have not made enough of our heroes and the Code breakers programme might have said the Welsh ignored them because they went north but what does it say about us that we've done so little for them all? A local hero next to a code breaker at every ground would go a long way towards this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oxford said:

I don't ever mind giving a statue and a TGG hero a bit of coverage Padge but it was an image that could be made into a statue or trophy I meant. I have lots of favourite images from the past and the present but finding one that shows what TGG's all about and the nature of the player involved is hard to find. Have you got one? Does anyone have one?

It seems to me we have not made enough of our heroes and the Code breakers programme might have said the Welsh ignored them because they went north but what does it say about us that we've done so little for them all? A local hero next to a code breaker at every ground would go a long way towards this.

I know what you were saying, it was posted as a bit of fun.

In Wigan we have the Boston Statue in the centre of town, Billy also has a medical centre, Boston House named after him, pavement star, his image on a pub swing sign (Bold Hotel, Billies local). We also have the Walk of Fame in the Grand Arcade shopping centre featuring a whole range of players from across the decades. Then various roads have been named after players, Sullivan Way, Tyrer Avenue, Vigo Street. There are many ways to honour past players. Statues are a very expensive item and usually need a lot of fund raising. The cost of creating and installing the Boston statue was around £100,000.

 

Edited by Padge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the off topic Brexit stuff removed. There's a thread for that in AOB.

Stay on topic here, thanks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Worth every penny.

At £175 per try its a bargain. 

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Padge said:

I know what you were saying, it was posted as a bit of fun.

In Wigan we have the Boston Statue in the centre of town, Billy also has a medical centre, Boston House named after him, pavement star, his image on a pub swing sign (Bold Hotel, Billies local). We also have the Walk of Fame in the Grand Arcade shopping centre featuring a whole range of players from across the decades. Then various roads have been named after players, Sullivan Way, Tyrer Avenue, Vigo Street. There are many ways to honour past players. Statues are a very expensive item and usually need a lot of fund raising. The cost of creating and installing the Boston statue was around £100,000.

 

And given their efforts for the sport and as part of the local community we need to do that for more of our heroes!

"I know what you were saying, it was posted as a bit of fun."

And I should have said that too sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a fascinating programme and a big shock for it to be on the Beeb. Giving equal prominence to league and union - whatever next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best sporting documentaries I've ever seen.  It was heartening to see the contribution of Welsh RL players to the Greatest Game, World Cup and Ashes winning sides being recognised, however,  it saddened me that Clive Sullivan and his 1972 Rugby World Cup winning side were totally ignored during the SPOTY awards.  The BBC should make amends by giving Clive Sullivan a posthumous award this year and previewing the 2019 GB Lions Tour.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I catch it right that Clive Sullivan was also completely ignored by BBC Wales in their own Welsh SPOTY awards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may like to know that some of the players who went north are still remembered, tomorrow evening a special evening is being held at the Blaengarw rugby club to name the main lounge the Ike Owen room. Ike was born in this small  coal mining valley, which can only be entered and left by the same road.

The valley has spawned many rugby league players, and well known ones as well, The last being John Deveraux, of international repute, and in the next street Ike Owens was born. He made his name in rugby league circles  through the 1946 Indomitable tour, and returned to Leeds after the tour a major star. He had signed for Leeds in 1943, but was almost unknown in League, due to his war service for which he received the Royal Flying Medal. 

At the end of the war he played in two victory internationals , but both were Rugby Union matches. After the tour he became Leeds captain and a very prominent player, and created a shock wave by asking for a transfer, and was transferred to Castleford for a world record fee of £2,700 in 1948, but only played for them 9 times before transferring to Huddersfield for the same transfer fee This is only a small biopic of a wonderful player

We are now looking to record all the playing records of the many players who went north, but due to some obvious factors this is somewhat difficult to achieve, particularly as their births are down as Bridgend and not of. the Garw valley. If anyone knows of a Welsh player who came from here I would be delighted to hear from you. I think it does show that Wales has not neglected all Welsh players who went north.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, BringbackGB said:

One of the best sporting documentaries I've ever seen.  It was heartening to see the contribution of Welsh RL players to the Greatest Game, World Cup and Ashes winning sides being recognised, however,  it saddened me that Clive Sullivan and his 1972 Rugby World Cup winning side were totally ignored during the SPOTY awards.  The BBC should make amends by giving Clive Sullivan a posthumous award this year and previewing the 2019 GB Lions Tour.   

Blessed is he who doth not expect, for he shall not be disappointed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, Bulliac said:

I thought it was a fascinating programme and a big shock for it to be on the Beeb. Giving equal prominence to league and union - whatever next!

A shock for it to be produced by the BBC, not so much a shock that it was only shown on BBC Wales and not all over the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wolford6 said:

Malcolm Price  is the most notable convert from my valley  Wales RU and British Lion followed by GB at RL in the 1960's.

I met him when he ran (and started, I think) the Todmorden RL club in the 1970's. They changed upstairs in a pub next to the hilltop church that overlooks the town and played in a farmer's field next door. The field was covered in cow clap and after the game we had a tin bath for players to use. 

On the advice of another team, we rearranged one away game for a Sunday morning, when the pub had an exotic dancer(s?) on. As the stripper used the normal changing room, we had to change in the pub car park behind a barrier of hessian sacking that shielded us from the congregation going to church. 

Later, the faciliities extended to a shed by the pitch with two tin baths.

 

Great days. I hope the Todmorden club is still going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Price

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackie Wilson said
"It was, Reet-Petite"
Kinda love you got
Knock me off my feet

Let it all hang out
Oh, let it all hang out

And you know
I'm so wired up
Don't need no coffee
In my cup

5ab77f2505bcc_indexFW.jpg.2c14e50902327a9986e714134a1f4ae4.jpg         JS92056621.jpg.936dfddbbd8b16ea6df3d4af7cb5a540.jpggus.PNG.0c8448017967a6d008d279fb7d30faa3.PNG

Is Danny Wilson Playing?

Edited by Oxford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched this at mothers insistence (great name for a pub). I'm quite taken aback by the level of social rejection these guys went  through in order to provide for their families,bit like the miners strike which we all endured during the 80's where people where damned if they did/didn't. Believe it or not in the building trade this attitude still exists. Many a time when other brickies have gone home without pay due to the inclement weather,l have sat around (also without pay) waiting for the weather to pick up just to get a couple of hours in,only to be ostracised by the other brickies the next day,usually single lads with no mortgage to pay,no kids etc. So,the choice is,get slagged off for providing for your family or show strength in numbers and be skint. You lot are an intelligent bunch,figure it out yourselves. A bit of a self indulgent post I know but sorry,I just realise their perspective and I'm sure we have all been in the same boat at one time or another.

Edited by JDINTHEHIZZOUSE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 26 Apr - May 2018

Rugby League World - April 2018 - Out Fri 30 Mar

Rugby League Books On Sale Here