Barrow win.

mickhornet

13 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

Wow,don`t everybody get too excited all at once. First win of the season,great second half and nobody wants to know,or that`s how it appears.

We are all in shock DD.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Is it that or the fact that everyone is slowly losing interest? It would appear that way to me,I just hope I`m mistaken. Hornets are as important to Rochdale as the Co-op,terraced houses and the Town Hall. To see the club disappear (and I`m not saying they`re in imminent danger of that),would be a disaster,not only to the town,but to the great game itself.

7 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

Is it that or the fact that everyone is slowly losing interest? It would appear that way to me,I just hope I`m mistaken. Hornets are as important to Rochdale as the Co-op,terraced houses and the Town Hall. To see the club disappear (and I`m not saying they`re in imminent danger of that),would be a disaster,not only to the town,but to the great game itself.

Thats my fear mate,that the game itself is shrinking.The crowds seem to be shrinking,also the average of the fans seems to be getting older.You dont see as many kids at games.Yes it is a worry.I hope im wrong.

For me its the format thats killing interest. Whats the point in paying good money to watch Hornets play a full time club and get hammered. Fair enough in a Challenge cup game at least we are seeing great players/ internationals. Full timer pros should be in one league and part time in another or all the same. Until they sort that out crowds will not increase. 

Since Superleague and summer rugby came in there has only ever been one way to go. All the 'money' is raked off by those who only care about themselves.

Even since hornets moved to Spotland the downgrade is obvious. Before the stadium upgrade, playing in winter, I'm sure the attendances were far greater than at present, the whole ground being open to supporters. Remember the home game with Leigh in the Martin Hall days, must have been about four thousand in. Even when the team weren't doing well there were twice as many as these days.

In summer people have other things to do. The interest has gone and, the way things are at present, the chances of encouraging people back look very bleak, I'm afraid. 

I remember thinking it was bad in the 70's and 80's but compared with now....well, it's just been a downward spiral.

Then we look at the amateur game and the dearth of players. Again, to me, playing in summer has been the worst decision, along with the game all coming under one 'roof'. At least, in Barla days, in winter lads wanted to play the game to a much greater extent. 

Good second half effort on Sunday, by the way.

Archived