Sign in to follow this  

http://ottawasun.com/sports/other-sports/toronto-wolfpack-sign-fullback-gareth-obrien-from-salford-red-devils/wcm/4ba1a12e-0c84-43bd-bf7d-310de752cc1a

As far as I know Ottawa does not have even a minimum RL presence ( I'd love to be wrong about this) but this story appeared in the Capital's version of this paper and that's some going considering the distance involved (not as big as I thought - before the Canadians get here!), the sport being covered and the time frame of the creation of TWP.

If only we could reach newspapers in our capital ( two minutes down the road) as well as this, we wouldn't need Mr Hearn or anyone else come to that.

So whether it's a drawbridge, a glass ceiling or a Berlin Wall .... How would you get London to be TWP'd over TGG?

berlin-wall-falls.gif.9f11bf411ae67f0551d4552a879603ec.gif

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Oxford said:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/other-sports/toronto-wolfpack-sign-fullback-gareth-obrien-from-salford-red-devils/wcm/4ba1a12e-0c84-43bd-bf7d-310de752cc1a

As far as I know Ottawa does not have even a minimum RL presence ( I'd love to be wrong about this) but this story appeared in the Capital's version of this paper and that's some going considering the distance involved (not as big as I thought - before the Canadians get here!), the sport being covered and the time frame of the creation of TWP.

If only we could reach newspapers in our capital ( two minutes down the road) as well as this, we wouldn't need Mr Hearn or anyone else come to that.

So whether it's a drawbridge, a glass ceiling or a Berlin Wall .... How would you get London to be TWP'd over TGG?

berlin-wall-falls.gif.9f11bf411ae67f0551d4552a879603ec.gif

Ottawa's one of the few places east of the Rockies where "rugby" of any type gets decent local media exposure.  When I lived up there back in the 1990s both the Ottawa Citizen and the Sun gave space to RU, partly because Ottawa native Al Charron was one of the few players on the national RU team not from British Columbia.  Dave Silcock's CRFL group was based in Ottawa, which is how I came to get involved with them.

It's unclear how much the media here are aware of just how different RU and RL are — notice how they have a video of RU sevens footage with a story about RL — but they certainly are not aware of the history between the two games and RU's efforts to block RL's growth which the Canadian RU authorities applied to make things more difficult for Silcock's group.

9 hours ago, Oxford said:

The key to getting Londoners interested in RL is probably expansion to big cities over here in America.  The Broncos have never played in a league with opponents who have box-office appeal in London, because they're mostly based in small towns which Londoners are never going to rate in that way.  Giving them a chance to see big-city opponents like Toronto, New York, Toulouse, Barcelona, Manchester and the like week in and week out might change that, but I don't know what else could.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The key to getting Londoners interested in RL is probably expansion to big cities over here in America.  The Broncos have never played in a league with opponents who have box-office appeal in London, because they're mostly based in small towns which Londoners are never going to rate in that way.  Giving them a chance to see big-city opponents like Toronto, New York, Toulouse, Barcelona, Manchester and the like week in and week out might change that, but I don't know what else could.

I don't think that's the key at all.  There's no shortage of things to do in London and an RL club isn't going to hit the radar of your average Londoner just cos they're playing a club from another major city.  What would make it a success would be appealing to the 1000s of RL fans who currently aren't attracted to the club by being a better run sports club.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I don't think that's the key at all.  There's no shortage of things to do in London and an RL club isn't going to hit the radar of your average Londoner just cos they're playing a club from another major city.  What would make it a success would be appealing to the 1000s of RL fans who currently aren't attracted to the club by being a better run sports club.

They need to make each game an event. They need to play at big stadia with fireworks, entertainment and other razzle dazzle. All the other SL clubs did this to some degree and crowds have grown!

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

They need to make each game an event.

How are they supposed to do that if all their opponents are from under-the-radar small towns up north?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

They've won - and then lost - so many fans over the years it's ridiculous. Being in SL would obviously help, but the only chance of winning some of those people back is if, and only if, they can demonstrate a genuine and permanent change in attitude and performance off the field. I've started going again after a few years away, mainly because they play up the road form me and I was missing live RL. There have been some minor improvements off the field, but in truth the same old failings are largely still there.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

How are they supposed to do that if all their opponents are from under-the-radar small towns up north?

Londoner born and bred, seen many people fall in - and then out - of love with the Broncos, and this really isn't an issue. Or, it's way down the list if it is. There are far more pressing things to do with the way the club has historically been run.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Correct,even if the club was run well for years and years it will still only ever get 5 or 6k gates while playing those teams which will never push the sport forward

6 hours ago, nadera78 said:

They've won - and then lost - so many fans over the years it's ridiculous. Being in SL would obviously help, but the only chance of winning some of those people back is if, and only if, they can demonstrate a genuine and permanent change in attitude and performance off the field. I've started going again after a few years away, mainly because they play up the road form me and I was missing live RL. There have been some minor improvements off the field, but in truth the same old failings are largely still there.

A well run London with a sound LONG TERM business plan, stadium deal and investment could easily achieve 10k average crowds in SL.  Im convinced of that.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

A well run London with a sound LONG TERM business plan, stadium deal and investment could easily achieve 10k average crowds in SL.  Im convinced of that.

In truth SL has never amounted to more than a tarted-up version of the old RL Championship.  If you can suggest how a sound long term business plan for London can be created based on playing in such a competition, I'm all ears.

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

In truth SL has never amounted to more than a tarted-up version of the old RL Championship.  If you can suggest how a sound long term business plan for London can be created based on playing in such a competition, I'm all ears.

The SL plan was to have teams in France and Wales...be fully professional and play in the summer.

Change Wales to Canada and we are not far off. 

The game is in a much better state than 20 years ago.

For London the crowd potential is there but you have to remember that there is a continually moving population and it takes quite a time to get from a-b no matter where the club is based. You have ex pat northerners, aussies and kiwis who are not necessarily in London for life so want to make the most of the time they have down there. For the local population or those that do make London their home there are the normal pressures on weekends with family etc + even to get to a home game you are looking at almost a 2 hour home trip for most. 

What crowds tend to show is that there is initial excitement (even in the 30s that was the case, they were good crowds even compared to the north) because people get to see the teams they have known and loved.. but are you getting the locals along or even the ex pats to take London as "their team"? For me the 2 keys to it being a long term success that really captures the imagination are:

1. An Event: you have to make this something that people are prepared to give up a weekend for, give up hours of their family time for, give up going to a different event or in many case give up going to travel to another part of the country for. 

2. A period of real success: this will take money and cannot be a flash in the pan. If they get continued success for a period of time you can grow that attachment to a club.Melbourne show to an extent what happens as people want to be involved in success. The same can be shown even in football, success brings people out of the woodwork and encourages people not even from the area to support you, equally as clubs drop through the pyramid you see people start to turn their back on the team. Therefore a good period of success needs to be had to really bring people out. 

Both of these things can be applied to almost anywhere, Sheffield is the same the Challenge Cup was the catalyst but then it needed a period of time where the was continued success to really build on it, but we all know what happened there.

Equally with the idea of "An event" I have been saying for weeks that the first game for Eagles at the new ground at the OLP should have always been Toronto as it makes people in the City stand up and have a look, London was a good second to that but the weather did for that and Toronto was on Mothers Day which didnt help... but a first game against Halifax or Leigh was not going to be easy to market to the wider city. This is the same in London so the idea of better names and bigger cities I do believe to be true but that is a much harder thing to sort out in the short term.. 

Just my twopenneth though