Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Sky Sports

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Consequently I'm forking out way over £30 per month for an array of sports channels I'll never, ever watch, just to get a couple of SL games per week.

You'll probably claim that back off the taxman though John. ;)

I can understand it from their perspective. They want people to use their platform, so they keep the most attractive options exclusive to that platform. Same reason you can't get Sky Atlantic on Virgin Media too, I guess, as that's where they run all the stuff people might actually want to watch, like Game of Thrones.

I used to have Sky, but the broadband was dire, that was why I switched. Virgin's latest V6 box is brill too, I wouldn't want to switch back to Sky and lose that or the reliable cable broadband, so I just have to suck up the cost of Sky Sports and hope they'll eventually start flogging the channels separately on Virgin.

Sky Atlantic is the main reason I'm contemplating switching from Virgin to Sky. Really reluctant to, mainly due to the broadband as I get 200MB cable. However I'm stuck with the ridiculous Full house package which includes BT Sport. I only watch RL and cricket (plus darts if it doesn't clash with RL). It ends up being quite expensive.

Anyway, I've just ordered a free V6 box as it didn't tie me in any longer, so glad to hear it's good.  

33 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You'll probably claim that back off the taxman though John. ;)

I wouldn't know how. 

I subscribe, it comes out of my bank account every month, I weep at the cost.

That's basically it.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

It all depends how deep your interest is in the NRL I suppose. I am on a free trial and it will be 112.50 after that. The platform is very impressive and the additional shows are great. Amazing how much stuff gets pumped out about RL in Australia. This content doesn't even include the C9 stuff.

Yeah, I see the attraction for a real niche market, but I suspect the numbers will be ridiculously low, based on the fact that casual NRL fans can get their fix through Sky at better value than the NRL App - unless they pay a lump sum up front.

I have Sky and recorded the three games on there. I only managed to watch 1 of them.No way can I justify £22 (£19.80 with discount) for more games I wont watch.

The only benefit I would get would be the choice.,

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

It all depends how deep your interest is in the NRL I suppose. I am on a free trial and it will be 112.50 after that. The platform is very impressive and the additional shows are great. Amazing how much stuff gets pumped out about RL in Australia. This content doesn't even include the C9 stuff.

It's a kind of paradise wrapped with a ribbon of sadness because it will never be that good in England, isn't it?

• Like 2

I wouldn't know how. 

I subscribe, it comes out of my bank account every month, I weep at the cost.

That's basically it.

Call HMRC (0300 200 3300), tell them you're a professional sports journalist and your employer doesn't pay for Sky Sports but it's absolutely essential to do your job, ask them for a ruling if you're allowed to reclaim tax on it as an essential expense.  If they say yes then you reclaim the tax at your highest marginal rate.  If they say no then you've lost nothing but the time to make the call.

HMRC's advice line folk are very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I see the attraction for a real niche market, but I suspect the numbers will be ridiculously low, based on the fact that casual NRL fans can get their fix through Sky at better value than the NRL App - unless they pay a lump sum up front.

I have Sky and recorded the three games on there. I only managed to watch 1 of them.No way can I justify £22 (£19.80 with discount) for more games I wont watch.

The only benefit I would get would be the choice.,

I would imagine the main market will be Aussie and NZ expats first and then territories like the UK second.

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Not if you're on Virgin Media. They only sell the whole Sky Sports bundle, not the individual channels. Consequently I'm forking out way over £30 per month for an array of sports channels I'll never, ever watch, just to get a couple of SL games per week. It's annoying, but not annoying enough to make me switch from Virgin to Sky, as the other services they offer are (IMO) better.

At the start of the season John and knowing Sky were adding NRL games I contacted Virgin and requested to take both Arena and Action for the Sky qouted £18 per month, as you say they said they could only offer the full Sky package to me at £32, I have been a cable customer pre Virgin days even back to when it was Tele-Northwest, I requested to be put through to the "I'm leaving" office, in discussion after telling them I would move away with all my other services I was told I could have all the sports channels but only until mid November (job done) for £18 per month, like you and CKN I will only watch and record the RL and Cricket no interest in F1, Football, Tennis, Darts etc. but I have secured what I require, try it you have nothing to lose.

I haven't wanted to advertise this too much for fear of it being a loophole that will be closed... 

I pay £5.99 a month and get all Sky Sports RL legally. I pay for the Sky Sports Mobile app. As I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung phone it let's me cast it onto my TV. It's about as good as standard definition. 

It's not perfect, after all I can't pause or record and since they've stopped doing repeats that can be a bit of a ######. 

However, previously I was watching almost no RL as I couldn't justify paying for sports on Virgin Media with 2 young kids and no free time! I binned off the Virgin Media recently and Sky seems overly expensive for what you get. 

The app itself is pretty basic and is way behind the BT Sports app but there's little worth watching on that. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2018 at 11:59 AM, mickhornet said:

Nothing more boring than F1

You have obviously never bothered to try to stay awake through golf.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Padge said:

You have obviously never bothered to try to stay awake through golf.

To be fair if you're a golfer, you can enjoy watching the quality. 

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

To be fair if you're a golfer, you can enjoy watching the quality. 

So fans of F1 could pull the same argument.

Just now, Padge said:

So fans of F1 could pull the same argument.

Maybe but not quite the same. With Golf you're playing the exact same game on the exact same courses if you want. Virtually nobody gets to drive an F1 car or race cars even. 

A rl only channel makes sense, but encouraging fans not to go but watch on tv does not. I’m a premiership season ticket holder & county cricket member, and tv is never the same as being there. The Huddersfield game last night with 80% seats empty wouldn’t encourage anyone to want to attend, nor looks good for tv either. 

25 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Maybe but not quite the same. With Golf you're playing the exact same game on the exact same courses if you want. Virtually nobody gets to drive an F1 car or race cars even. 

Track days are available on most F1 circuits though. 

The public can't play on certain championship golf courses (Augusta for one) but I get your point.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

5 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Track days are available on most F1 circuits though.

Yep. I happen to have raced on Silverstone too - obviously in much a much slower car.

The thing about motorsport is people from the outside concentrate on the leader. Rarely is a race interesting because of a 1st v 2nd battle. It's usually further down the ranks where a lot of overtakes and interesting lines go on.

Most people also don't realise that F1 is somewhat of a team sport - it's the constructor's championship that has the biggest prize money so you see some unusual tactics sometimes to ensure both drivers on a given team remains as high as possible.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2018 at 7:12 PM, Maximus Decimus said:

I haven't wanted to advertise this too much for fear of it being a loophole that will be closed... 

I pay £5.99 a month and get all Sky Sports RL legally. I pay for the Sky Sports Mobile app. As I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung phone it let's me cast it onto my TV. It's about as good as standard definition. 

If you pay for the app, do you also have to subscribe to the basic SKY satellite TV package?   I always thought you needed a SKY subscription to get access to the app.

I pick and choose my weeks to watch SKY with NOW TV at either £6.99 or £10.99 depending on whether I want to watch all the games or just one night’s worth.

Can’t justify paying the full SKY sports subscription so I focus on watching the Warrington games.   I’m expecting a refund as a goodwill gesture based on the lack of entertainment so far 😉

A channel purely for RL would, without a doubt, result in the clubs receiving less money than they do now. I despair at how cheap some RL fans are at times.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

A channel purely for RL would, without a doubt, result in the clubs receiving less money than they do now. I despair at how cheap some RL fans are at times.

There is a risk of that, but there is also an opportunity dependent on how it is distributed.

Sky is a minimum of about £40 if all you want to do is watch RL. Thats a pretty high price for those who arent interested in the extra content you would need to buy through sky to get RL. People may be more willing to pay £15-20 just for RL than they are to pay £40 for the full package to watch SKY and RL. 

There is no reason that an RL channel would need to be the exclusive and only place to watch RL. You could sell 2 games to FTA or a pay tv broadcaster, and then everything else on the RL channel as an over the top service. There is no real reason that creating a channel for more content would devalue the content we have.

You then have the ability to sell it to expats and a virtually off the shelf product of the new areas we are expanding in to, as well as a place for RL thats hits a certain level to easily monetise itself. What you also have is a valid competitor for all the rights you sell. If you get a bid that undervalues you, so what, we just add value to our own proposition.

I would be less worried about the fans willing to pay for it, than i would the clubs having the commitment, ingenuity and wherewithal to make such a proposition attractive to fans and the entrenched views of some RL fans adjusting to the changes in things like game scheduling that would be necessary.

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

If you pay for the app, do you also have to subscribe to the basic SKY satellite TV package?   I always thought you needed a SKY subscription to get access to the app.

I pick and choose my weeks to watch SKY with NOW TV at either £6.99 or £10.99 depending on whether I want to watch all the games or just one night’s worth.

No, it's entirely separate, 5.99 gets you all Sky Sports channels on a phone app. (Not tablets) You can use chromecast to put it on to your TV from an Android phone, although I've found that to be a bit buffery at times, enough to be annoying. Maybe that's just my setup though. Casting is blocked for iPhone/AppleTV.

I watch on my phone most of the year, and then splash out for NowTV for big games, playoffs etc. Still much cheaper than a full SkySports subscription.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

You can use chromecast to put it on to your TV from an Android phone, although I've found that to be a bit buffery at times, enough to be annoying. Maybe that's just my setup though. Casting is blocked for iPhone/AppleTV.

Thanks for that.

Looks like I’m stuffed, as I want to cast it to the TV but all my devices and even my desktop are Apple products.

Related to Sky Sports but not really linked to this aspect of it.

I was re-reading an interview Neville Smith gave about RL, specifically showing the championship

“We’re in some discussions about the Championship games. We’ll be doing the Summer Bash and we will be covering the Championship clubs in the Qualifying 8s.

There’s one or two suggestions about the Championship but generally speaking our focus will be… I won’t say our focus will be Super League but certainly what I can promise you is the Championship is not off our radar. It’s not something we’re going to just ignore but we have to put the resources into the elite league competition.

“What we try and do is offer a very good service to rugby league fans, in all reality you’re probably not going to get as many people watching the Championship match and every time you set up an OB [an outside broadcast] it’s costing the business.”

It seems to me he has given us the answer as to why the championship can't get on TV. The cost of OB.

It also seem to me he has given us the answer to getting more games on TV. Multiple games in one stadium.

So here's what i suggest (on the basis there are two overseas expansion clubs in the Championship next year aswell, lets assume its Toulouse and Toronto)

Sometime during May, June, July and August,  We schedule the 11 away games for Toronto and Toulouse and play them as Saturday doubleheaders. In exchange for losing a home game (against either Toronto or Toulouse) each club gets to host one of these double headers either at their ground if suitable, or given some help to go somewhere else and make a big celebration of it. We then sell the rights to these 11 summer doubleheaders to Sky (who save on the cost of OB's) and then are able to sell every away game for our overseas clubs to an overseas broadcaster.  Schedule the games so that, where possible teams are nearby, so both sets of 'home' supporters can attend, include it on season tickets as normal and you should get a bumper crowd.