Sign in to follow this  
Desert Skipper

Kevin Brown retires from international rugby

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/wolves/16086503.Kevin_Brown_retires_from_international_rugby_league/

"I’ll be 34 by the end of the year when the International Test Series comes around and I think having the rest at the end of the season will help me play better and for longer at Warrington”

Wasn’t aware his contract at Warrington ran into next season?

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1

Obviously the England coaching set up have their finger on the pulse!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No excuse not to call up Samkins. It's not like we're swimming in quality full backs/halves.

There’s obviously some reason Bennett doesn’t rate Tomkins.   Can’t for the life of me work it out, but if he wasn’t going to pick him on his form from the back end of last season and the first 1/4 of this one, then he’s not going to get picked at all.

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Good.

I have criticised Brown for Warrington but he never let England down and he never selected himself, the decision to retire is the right one but he should be thanked for giving his best whether you rate him or not. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Wasn’t aware his contract at Warrington ran into next season?

It doesn't - he was talking about hoping to play well enough to earn a 2019 contract, at the start of the season.

Get Young Richardson called up for experience,him and Williams could given time be an exciting long term partnership for England.

• Like 1

Don't want to appear too harsh, but his International career should have never began.

• Like 2

I don't think Brown was the answer for England but the lad put his hand up and gave is all for the team. He got smashed in that PNG game but was back in the next game. He wasn't the answer but that isn't Brown's fault. Good luck to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't think Brown was the answer for England but the lad put his hand up and gave is all for the team. He got smashed in that PNG game but was back in the next game. He wasn't the answer but that isn't Brown's fault. Good luck to him.

Oh dont get me wrong. Nothing against the guy whatsoever, never gave anything less than his best. But he has never been international quality.

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

And people say the quality in SL has massively fallen in the last 10 years. Although tbf thats England, not GB. GB were still going at that stage so that is a second string team.

It was actually GB, according to the BBC story, although Wellens, Peacock & Fielden rested. Have to confess that I'd completely forgotten Andy Coley.

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

It was actually GB, according to the BBC story, although Wellens, Peacock & Fielden rested. Have to confess that I'd completely forgotten Andy Coley.

Damn, you busted me before I had the chance to edit. :tongue:

Not quite sure why I read that as England. Probably all the fringe players that were involved. Looked like one of the old England squads.

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Get Young Richardson called up for experience,him and Williams could given time be an exciting long term partnership for England.

Richardson does not deserve to be called up to the main England set up yet, and nobody does him any favours by rushing his development in such a way. Super League is a sufficient challenge for now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Richardson does not deserve to be called up to the main England set up yet, and nobody does him any favours by rushing his development in such a way. Super League is a sufficient challenge for now. 

Richardson would get mullered by the likes of the Aussies, Kiwis and Tongans. There are mistakes in his game now at SL level that need to be overcome before getting a sniff of the national team. Tomkins into the squad is the option...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Richardson would get mullered by the likes of the Aussies, Kiwis and Tongans. There are mistakes in his game now at SL level that need to be overcome before getting a sniff of the national team. Tomkins into the squad is the option...

I'm not sure if he is too vulnerable defensively to play in the halves at international level. I'd be more tempted by Sneyd given our difficulties with having a good kicking game. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

That’s why I said for experience and also stated given time.

Sort of does tell us about our half back stocks , which has been the story for some while 🙁