Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Evalds to Cas

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Plenty of rumours doing the rounds on this...................

Seemed to get dismissed by Cas directors at a recent events.   Also by Hitchcox who was rumoured to be a make weight in the deal.  But that doesn't seem to have quelled the rumours.

I'd have preferred O Brien in all honesty but if true i'd be happy with him as an alternative to Roberts (who in fairness has steadily improved every game since the Saints game).

If it is true, with him Evalds providing a more reliable full back (all be it clearly not in Zak's league) and Watts and Wardle significantly improving other areas of our starting 17, we have the potential to be as good a side as last year imo.

• Like 1

Have we become a sport that destabilizes clubs and helps them travel downwards if not push them over the cliff?

It's just sport, business, life?

Sounds more like the rumours at the stock exchange before the bank run, the asset strip and profiteering.

Salford should probably simply leave RL if this is the case and then at least the fans wouldn't have to listen to how much better off they'll be in the championship, which is an argument with more bovine and equine dung than my Uncle's allotment.

keep-calm-this-is-horseshit.png.ca94099ec131b39e215d57a83b85f249.png

Edited by Oxford

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

Have we become a sport that destabilizes clubs and helps them travel downwards if not push them over the cliff?

It's just sport, business, life?

Sounds more like the rumours at the stock exchange before the bank run, the asset strip and profiteering.

Salford should probably simply leave RL if this is the case and then at least the fans wouldn't have to listen to how much better off they'll be in the championship, which is an argument with more bovine and equine dung than my Uncle's allotment.

keep-calm-this-is-horseshit.png.ca94099ec131b39e215d57a83b85f249.png

Well, speaking from 'our' point of view, I'd say that that's possibly the most rhetorical question I've seen for some time.

If Salford do implode then it could be that they go all the way.  It's hard to see what cornerstones there are in their set-up that will allow them to re-build - crowd/ground/academey to name but three.

Hopefully they can sort things fast, but sadly this all looks a little too familiar.

Good luck Salford.  You're going to need it.

Looking at it from the other side it's hard to be critical of clubs that buy players that are being offered to them.  If they didn't then Salford wouldn't be able to cash in on what few assets they have.  What would be unacceptable would be for clubs to start tapping up Salford players that haven't been offered.  And that's exactly what'll be happening right now, guaranteed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Looks like a fire sale at Salford.

Rumours of Hull signing Josh Jones too. How reliable those rumours are I have to idea.

Just now, MZH said:

Rumours of Hull signing Josh Jones too. How reliable those rumours are I have to idea.

If they've lost Liam Watts, Craig Kopczak might be on the Hull horizon.

Just now, Wolford6 said:

If they've lost Liam Watts, Craig Kopczak might be on the Hull horizon.

I think we will go with what we have got in the front row. Paea is effectively a replacment for Watts when you compare this year's squad with last. Plus Matongo and Fash are improving all the time. 

We will however need a second row to replace Mini next year if, as expected, he retires. 

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

It didn't seem to be a problem when clubs were picking off the best of our young players over the past few years

So from experience as a Bulls fan, I'd say the answer is 'yes'

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

It didn't seem to be a problem when clubs were picking off the best of our young players over the past few years

I think the difference, Paul, is that I think most fans of other clubs would love to see the Bulls back in Superleague. I certainly would. I think most fans of other clubs would like to see Salford disappear. As a Salford fan for over 50 years, I think it would be a tragedy if they did. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MZH said:

I think we will go with what we have got in the front row. Paea is effectively a replacment for Watts when you compare this year's squad with last. Plus Matongo and Fash are improving all the time. 

We will however need a second row to replace Mini next year if, as expected, he retires. 

You'll have to find another bargain of a lifetime to truly replace him. One of the Antipodean players who came to SL and absolutely delivered the goods 100%.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You'll have to find another bargain of a lifetime to truly replace him. One of the Antipodean players who came to SL and absolutely delivered the goods 100%.

Yes and no. I can't knock him. He has surpassed our expectations and given his all throughout his entire stay. He will be remembered very fondly by all Hull fans. He is a very powerful ball carrier. But his error and missed tackle counts have always been poor. He can be replaced, perhaps even improved on.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

I think the difference, Paul, is that I think most fans of other clubs would love to see the Bulls back in Superleague. I certainly would. I think most fans of other clubs would like to see Salford disappear. As a Salford fan for over 50 years, I think it would be a tragedy if they did. 

I don't think many want Salford to disappear and it would indeed be a tragedy if they did.

4 hours ago, Konkrete said:

that's possibly the most rhetorical question

Is it ?

3 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It was the Bulls and another side along with SRD that I was basing this on. Sadly I think our sport has become very much the model I suggested.

On 15/03/2018 at 6:23 AM, Oxford said:

What are you talking about? Are you oblivious to the reality that some clubs fortunes are inextricably linked to having a rich owner. Jack Wilkinson bankrolled them for long enough his departure nearly killed the club. Then along came Marwan Koukash, do you not remember him? If you do, do you not remember  his big investment in the club and players? Do you not remember that he left the club last year??

The idea this is a plot by the other clubs shows you don't read anything up about the game. The current Salford board are reported to need to run to a £1.4M player budget this year and are reported as asking clubs to take certain players. If other clubs are to pay out they want to pick who they want, not have Salford dump on them who they don't want and that is fair enough.  

The club has to keep out of the "Red" whilst fulfilling fixtures as best they can, players have a duty to see their contracts out whilst at the same time playing for another Superleague contract at another club. The cost cutting dates back to closing the academy, again nothing to do with a plot by the other clubs. 

Your argument they will be better off In Superleague is abject nonsense,  and is oblivious to the damage they would do to the league and other clubs if they became another Halifax who in 2003 cut their budgets and lost 27 games in a row shipping 44 points a game, and saw crowds drop to 1,200. It's not about one club in a 12 club league it's about the health of that league as a whole and Salford's plight is probably a big reason for the plans to cut to 10 clubs in the top division. 

The fascinating question is the MPG. That will take place with TWP & TO warned they may not be promoted if they win it, London incapable of staging SL, and the rest too small and skint like Salford are becoming. Salford may be ripe to lose it. How Superleague will get to ten clubs if they go ahead with these plans is a real mystery though, they can block championship clubs coming up and let Salford down gently, but how do they get rid of a second SL club and who?? 

Edited by The Parksider

I would think Niall Evalds has the highest points tally per minutes on the field than any other Super League player at the present time.

How Superleague will get to ten clubs if they go ahead with these plans is a real mystery though, they can block championship clubs coming up and let Salford down gently, but how do they get rid of a second SL club and who?? 

I would guess the individual funding Huddersfield may have reached the end of his interest.Could they survive if he leaves?

Apart from some unsubstantiated rumours that several people and lazy journalists have decided to copy and paste,BMM and GOB are the only players that have been sold by Salford Red Devil’s.

The new board at Salford have taken on a difficult task but they are making moves in the right direction and having met them at various meetings and at matches I am prepared to give them all the support that I can as are lots of other fans.

Where is the evidence that the club are offering players to anyone who wants them?apart from these rubbish journalists who in the main are stealing a living especially compared with some of the old time genuine ones.

10 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Your argument they will be better off In Superleague is abject nonsense

You are truly offensive in a marginally disguised sort of way, aren't you?

I didn't argue they were better off ,or would be in SL I simply said they may be better just giving up altogether.

When I read you tirade, novella, tome I'm even more convinced this is true.

22 hours ago, WSCR said:

Apart from some unsubstantiated rumours that several people and lazy journalists have decided to copy and paste,BMM and GOB are the only players that have been sold by Salford Red Devil’s.

The new board at Salford have taken on a difficult task but they are making moves in the right direction and having met them at various meetings and at matches I am prepared to give them all the support that I can as are lots of other fans.

Where is the evidence that the club are offering players to anyone who wants them?apart from these rubbish journalists who in the main are stealing a living especially compared with some of the old time genuine ones.

Well we can't access Salford's internal files and computers and pore through those before interviewing each board member separately under caution. With respect when someone doesn't like something on here they challenge it with the "absolute proof please". This happened over the split between the SL chairmen when we changed to the MPG, the same journos were spot on. I don't buy your lazy journo's stuff.

Bower & Shaw indicate more to leave and actually name Griffin and Lannon as being amongst them and HKR to bid for Lui again. The evidence is of course not proven in the high court, but circumstantially how does the Salford board run to full SL cap when there is nobody putting private money in any more?

Bower and Shaw provide the figure they have to run to £1.4M. Sounds plausible? Why would they make this up? Do you have the facts and therefore dispute this?? Is the board to issue denials at any point?

Stevo once said it was a crime for an SL club not to run to full cap and many on here may say it's a crime not to run an academy as well. Salford would not have got an SL license 2009 on these issues alone. The Reds are a lovable club, and pulled off a stunning win last night, but they cannot get away with cutting until the books balance as they will have a responsibility to compete hard and develop players to the same level as other SL clubs if Superleague is cut to 10.

23 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I would think Niall Evalds has the highest points tally per minutes on the field than any other Super League player at the present time.  I would guess the individual funding Huddersfield may have reached the end of his interest.Could they survive if he leaves?

Obviously this has been asked many times, but Mr. Davey easily outlived Marwan as an SL club owner. The unofficial answer is that there is some kind of legacy to be left to keep Fartown in SL, but other clubs could lose their benefactors before then. The last cut was done on two down and none up, so at this point in time that's Fartown and Catalans out & Salford in just!  However it can still be done "on paper" using such as the licensing criteria, so cutting everything around the first team and cutting that too would not bode well for Salford despite heroic results as last night surely was.  

Edited by The Parksider

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

such as the licensing criteria, so cutting everything around the first team and cutting that too would not bode well for Salford despite heroic results as last night surely was.  

But wasn't a large part of past criteria having a decent stadium also?

Funny how in a results based industry we are likely to rid ourselves of some team in spite of their win loss ratio!

Your point about not agreeing with the idea of lazy journalism seems to rest on the bits you agree(d) with and argued about every chance you had and a few more where they were nothing to do with the thread.;)

Salford's present putative predicament has nothing to do with a 10 club SL and, if it goes down to 10, I for one will have gone anyway, as I suspect quite a few more fans of those affected.

And you still haven't responded to my answer when you misrepresented what I wrote!:biggrin:

5aad23f143859_index13v13.jpeg.3348478ae4a8f404c2aee719c8810bc9.jpeg      Only Kidding!

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

Parksider,I don’t particularly care if you don’t buy my idea of lazy journalists as I can remember in the Manchester/Salford  area proper rugby league journalists like Tom Bergin,Jack Bentley,Jack McNamara and others who really attended games and reported the facts and figures concerning matches,they never cut and pasted as it wasn’t around at the time.

The club have said publicly that they will have to run within a budget which we can afford and all the fans that I have spoken to are happy with that scenario and I do find it irritating when news,genuine or not,is regurgitated on a regular basis by very lazy journalists,working for previously good newspapers who now,certainly in  our area have to give papers away free a couple of days a week due to their poor and in some cases copy and pasted articles.

18 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

To be honest, last night just showed what an absolute shambles of a club Salford are. We know from the expert opinions of this forum's various experts that Salford are in a tailspin towards oblivion. In fact, Parksider - the expert's expert - has expounded the theory that the sale of Gareth O'Brien was part of the club's preparation for life in the Championship. It's clear to anyone that has eyes to see with that the club is doomed. It's just bloody typical of such a poorly run club that nobody thought to tell the players. What a bloody mess.

I hope they go on performing for you. Gateshead's players performed to the last when they were in SL, they gave Hull a good beating as well and finished seven places above them in SL. only problem was just 1,700 fans turned up. The issue for Salford is the business off the field.

13 hours ago, WSCR said:

Parksider,I don’t particularly care if you don’t buy my idea of lazy journalists The club have said publicly that they will have to run within a budget which we can afford and all the fans that I have spoken to are happy with that scenario and I do find it irritating when news,genuine or not,is regurgitated on a regular basis by very lazy journalists,working for previously good newspapers who now,certainly in  our area have to give papers away free a couple of days a week due to their poor and in some cases copy and pasted articles.

Maybe Newspapers struggle because people like us use the internet and social media rather than a newspaper and a letters page. Any re-structure at the club may make the fans happy, clearly because they all understand it's about survival, something they learned when Wilkinson walked.

Running to a restricted budget sounds much the same as Bowers "£1.4 million" so he may not be so lazy. All I know is Salford have little case for keeping an SL place if they pocket the SKY money and neither run an academy nor spend anywhere near full cap on their team.

As sad as it is (and I wish you the best) cutting the budgets, and selling players whilst they have a transfer fee attached to them does look to me to be ultimately preparing for survival and inevitably that means the Championship.

18 hours ago, WSCR said:

proper rugby league journalists like Tom Bergin,Jack Bentley,Jack McNamara

Yeah but they all shared the same bottle of Typex and correction tape so very questionable after all!