Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

I'm changing my championship predictions

I think Halifax are still in the mix. They started last year slowly too and eventually finishes 3rd. 

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

So, as I understand it, there are only five teams in the Championship this year.

6 expected contenders, similar to any sport and any league you have the expected contenders and then the others, anything can happen but are you saying that Swinton and Rochdale should be considered for making the top 4?

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

Aye Johnny, no mention of Dewsbury or Batley who will upset quite a few teams this season especially at home.

Agreed, I do think Dewsbury will be a banana skin to some of the top teams at home. 

I think there a few scenarios that could take place this season in the Championship before we all start guessing the top four,what happens if Leigh lose a couple more games,wii DelBoy still be around to finance them?What happens if the S.L. decides Toronto or Toulouse will not be admitted to S.L. Will they bail out? Hypothetical I know but it could happen and indeed may be under discussion now.My own personal opinion Leigh will not make the top four after the start they have had,something seems very wrong at the club at the minute.Time will tell.

8 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

London are dependant on or two key players at the moment so them staying injury free is going to be very important. Toronto had a bit of disruption before the season started but I think they will improve as the season goes on. The biggest improvers have been Toulouse I think especially away from home. Anyway it is still very early days yet.

In previous seasons, Toulouse have been very dependent on Johnathon Ford. Last season, they were top 2 in the first half of the regular season, having won at Fev & Halifax and beaten Hull KR. Ford was out for 3 months and they slipped down to 5th in the remaining games.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

In previous seasons, Toulouse have been very dependent on Johnathon Ford. Last season, they were top 2 in the first half of the regular season, having won at Fev & Halifax and beaten Hull KR. Ford was out for 3 months and they slipped down to 5th in the remaining games.

Which is why they brought in William Barthau this season. 

DJB has put a on of pressure o the Leigh players yesterday in his interview with talks Sort 2 when he said he was looking for some players that might respect the shirt and that if they don't make top 4 the decision will be made for him to leave the club as he won't support the fiances for the current contracts.

The  big kick up the backside that was needed or wrong tactic?

18 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

DJB has put a on of pressure o the Leigh players yesterday in his interview with talks Sort 2 when he said he was looking for some players that might respect the shirt and that if they don't make top 4 the decision will be made for him to leave the club as he won't support the fiances for the current contracts.

The  big kick up the backside that was needed or wrong tactic?

Time will tell 

45 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Which is why they brought in William Barthau this season. 

Indeed. (On a side note, Barthau's mum & dad both played RL. I wonder how many others can say that?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

6 expected contenders, similar to any sport and any league you have the expected contenders and then the others, anything can happen but are you saying that Swinton and Rochdale should be considered for making the top 4?

I thought that predictions covered where all of the teams would finish in the league. If it is simply a continuation of the elitism that permeates RL then, clearly, I am mistaken.

There are 7 Teams that have lost 2 or less games from at the moment. Halifax have a good record of going well at the end of this system and have twice got in on the back of a strong finish while others struggled. Dewsbury have improved no end under Kelly and can and have beaten or run close a few times Clubs that have finished in the Top 4 over the years. Dewsbury is not an easy place to score points. Batley similar with the home ground that is a struggle for many teams. Teams going to any of them 3 places do well not to underestimate them. I think at the moment while Toulouse, London, Fev and Toronto may be the strong tips for the top 4, it would be foolish to write off one of the other 3 who could easily just sneak in if one of the others start dropping points.

Leigh I think is probably different as they have lost 5 and they maybe able to lose 2 maximum 3 games and still get in to the Top 4. The problem is they face Toronto 3 times, London, Halifax, Featherstone, Dewsbury and Batley atleast once. While still possible they are in a mess that is going to take time to turn around. There are very much reliant on other teams losing games and hoping they dont. The way things currently are thats a near impossible task.

• Like 2

1. Toronto 2. London 3. Fev 4. Toulouse  

The biggest factor is Toronto's playing block at home and the stress on teams visiting.

This hasn't been tested yet and i think it will absolutely stuff the UK/European clubs as Toronto play the 2nd half of the season entirely at home. To be honest, i don't think that's fair, but it may be good for the game ultimately to secure Toronto's fast track to SL.    Also Canada gets horrendously humid for playing condition progressively from May onwards and visiting clubs, even SL clubs, will be unused to this.

Toronto could go to SL this season. Keep your eyes peeled.

Halifax is a strong contender, and Toulouse concern me with consistency, as demonstrated last year with 5 game losses ( i think)  in a row that cost them a No 2/3  position.  

Edited by Snowman123

On 15/03/2018 at 9:23 AM, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And it would be interesting to see if we can get a ground that meets SL standards if we finish top. The support might be a problem too - last weekend there were four L1 gates larger than ours.

Ground issues never affected wakey or cas 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, westlondonfan said:

Are there SL minimum standards for ground size? If so what are they?

As far I know, league places are not determined by the level of support that clubs receive. If they were, Bradford would still be in the Super League!

The rules never used to give a minimum but just say that "grounds should be as close to the maximum size as possible", and , of course, throughout the games history the majority of grounds have never met that particular aspiration, in some cases by being well below. I think the only "must" was the grounds should be narrower than they were long.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, westlondonfan said:

Are there SL minimum standards for ground size? If so what are they?

As far I know, league places are not determined by the level of support that clubs receive. If they were, Bradford would still be in the Super League!

A document containing supposed minimum standards for grounds used to be available to see on the RFL website (was here http://media.therfl.co.uk/docs/Section A2 Minimum Standards_FINAL PDF.pdf ) but it has disappeared since the change of web address from  'therfl' to 'rugby-league'....

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 8:00 AM, The Daddy said:

Yes. Indeed it will. 

I just wish time wouldn't wait until after the event to tell. What's wrong with his spilling the beans now seeing that he's always right?