Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

I'm changing my championship predictions

After the first 5-6 games of the championship I've had a good chance to rethink my predictions:

Before the season started this was my top four: 

1. Leigh 2. Toronto 3. Fev  4. Halifax

My top four now is: 

1. Toronto 2. London 3. Toulouse 4. Fev

Has anyone else changed their predictions? 

7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

After the first 5-6 games of the championship I've had a good chance to rethink my predictions:

Before the season started this was my top four: 

1. Leigh 2. Toronto 3. Fev  4. Halifax

My top four now is: 

1. Toronto 2. London 3. Toulouse 4. Fev

Has anyone else changed their predictions? 

It's interesting that your initial guess excluded Toulouse? 

They were good last year but fell at the final hurdle

• Like 1

Just now, yipyee said:

It's interesting that your initial guess excluded Toulouse? 

They were good last year but fell at the final hurdle

Yep, Fev and Halifax were just better than TO last year and I felt that TO needed to make a couple more signings than they did to show that they meant business. Essentially this is the same TO team which won the French league a few years back, that's remarkable. 

Made me think of Phil Clarke's margin meter. By Round 22, I think I'll be pretty close to nailing it.

My margin meter is currently showing London Broncos to finish top by 2pts (I put a fiver on Toronto to finish top).

Edited by Woodyhkr
  • Haha 2

Me too :-

before

1. Leigh 2. Toronto 3.fev 4. Toulouse 

now

1. Toronto 2. London 3. Fev 4. Toulouse 

14 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I don't think anyone saw Leigh's implosion. 

Just hold right on there...I think my feelings were pretty clear at the start of the season about Leigh....but i wouldn't count them officially out just yet.

20 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just hold right on there...I think my feelings were pretty clear at the start of the season about Leigh....but i wouldn't count them officially out just yet.

Obviously your feelings didn't reach me. :sleep: 

I know you like baiting Leigh supporters but were you counting them out of the playoffs too? 

I thought it might be possible...they made the biggest mistake in sport, happens over and over again, taking wins for granted.

TWP supporters were warned by old pros numerous times last year that the Championship would be alot tougher and to take every game one at a time....we listened and believed them...their words have proven to be truthful.

Really doesn't matter who the team is or even the sport....seems to happen over and over again.

Never take a win for granted at any time....in hockey we have learned this in Canada and that is why our teams always play each and every game to the final second.  We have beaten the Russians many times by employing this strategy...ever hear of '72 Summit Series!!!!!!!!!!!

"It ain't over until the fat lady sings!"

thegoal.jpg

Edited by Kayakman

Hard not to make the Broncos favourite for the Championship Title. They can also beat any team in the SL bottom four right now and they could get a great run in the Cup.

Fev 2nd but I see them just out of the Qualifier top 5.

Both TO's are solid but Leigh can still come back, Halifax can improve. 

I'll say Leigh will come back and kick one of the TO's out of the top 4. Halifax could get the Shield.

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

Hard not to make the Broncos favourite for the Championship Title. They can also beat any team in the SL bottom four right now and they could get a great run in the Cup.

Fev 2nd but I see them just out of the Qualifier top 5.

Both TO's are solid but Leigh can still come back, Halifax can improve. 

I'll say Leigh will come back and kick one of the TO's out of the top 4. Halifax could get the Shield.

TWP will have a major say in Leigh's success this year, we play each other 2 more times and if we do a clean sweep they won't make top 4.

Still a long season and inures, dips in form, unlucky bounces plus ref errors can all effect the outcome and with 6 or more teams looking to get into the top 4 we are all in for a pretty great season.

• Like 1

London are dependant on or two key players at the moment so them staying injury free is going to be very important. Toronto had a bit of disruption before the season started but I think they will improve as the season goes on. The biggest improvers have been Toulouse I think especially away from home. Anyway it is still very early days yet.

• Like 2

London are certainly the form team and if Sammut doesn't implode or get injured they are good enough to win it.

I'm going to say the top two will be London then Toronto, followed by any combination of Fev / Toulouse / Leigh 

It will be interesting to see how Toulouse perform over the next few weeks. They've probably had an easiest start to the season than the other promotion chasing teams. They didn't look that great at Fev but they did manage to beat Leigh (who hasn't). They've also played the bottom three sides. I think we'll have a better idea after the next three league matches when they play Halifax, Toronto and London.

I love the Championship this year, its genuinely fascinating, with a hugely diverse set of clubs and extremely competitive! That top 4 are threatening to break away at the moment, and Leigh really need to get that next win before they leave themselves too much to do. If they can turn the ship round and get on a roll then they can easily make the 4, and then be dangerous in the middle 8s!

Of all the years gone by, this is the year that looks like it will produce the strongest 4 from the championship, and I wouldn't fancy being a bottom 4 SL club this year.

Any one of those bottom 4 in SL could end up having 3 away games that could quite conceivably be Toulouse, Toronto and Catalans, all within an 7 week period. That's a lot of travelling!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And it would be interesting to see if we can get a ground that meets SL standards if we finish top. The support might be a problem too - last weekend there were four L1 gates larger than ours.

Are there SL minimum standards for ground size? If so what are they?

As far I know, league places are not determined by the level of support that clubs receive. If they were, Bradford would still be in the Super League!

Edited by westlondonfan

10 hours ago, Woodyhkr said:

Made me think of Phil Clarke's margin meter. By Round 22, I think I'll be pretty close to nailing it.

My margin meter is currently showing London Broncos to finish top by 2pts (I put a fiver on Toronto to finish top).

That margin meter was pure comedy gold. I had almost forgotten about it.

"Leeds have made 4000 more metres, 50 more clean breaks and the penalty count is 20-0, so according to the margin metre the current scoreline of 12-10 is exactly what we would expect to see at this stage."

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MZH said:

That margin meter was pure comedy gold. I had almost forgotten about it.

"Leeds have made 4000 more metres, 50 more clean breaks and the penalty count is 20-0, so according to the margin metre the current scoreline of 12-10 is exactly what we would expect to see at this stage."

For me, Sky completely botched the Margin Meter by making it into something bigger than it should have been. Fox Sports in Aus still have the same thing in place, and they will state what the predicted score is before the game and at half time too, but its a throwaway thing as a point of interest and a talking point rather than built up as some sort of realistic score predictor

3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And it would be interesting to see if we can get a ground that meets SL standards if we finish top. The support might be a problem too - last weekend there were four L1 gates larger than ours.

Chronicler of Chiswick, off the thread topic but appropriate to your post.  As a Canadian newbie to RL, where oh where can one find on a weekly basis, the crowds, (gates), for all SL, C-ship, and L1 games from the previous weekend? Is there a web-site that posts these numbers?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

The only way of finding this info is to subscribe to Rugby League Express or League Weekly. Both publications are printed on a monday and are also available on sunday evenings on line. Try www.pocketmags.com

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Chronicler of Chiswick, off the thread topic but appropriate to your post.  As a Canadian newbie to RL, where oh where can one find on a weekly basis, the crowds, (gates), for all SL, C-ship, and L1 games from the previous weekend? Is there a web-site that posts these numbers?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

As a Canadian newbie to RL, where oh where can one find on a weekly basis, the crowds, (gates), for all SL, C-ship, and L1 games from the previous weekend? Is there a web-site that posts these numbers?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

FWIW, wikipedia has attendance info. Not sure how accurate it is but here are the links. Takes a while for some of them to be updated and you have to scroll down a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_XXIII_results

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_RFL_Championship_season_results

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_RFL_League_1_results

Only 2 Championship sides averaging over 2k per game so far according to them.

• Thanks 1

So, as I understand it, there are only five teams in the Championship this year.