Sports Prophet

How Good is the Refereeing? - Hang On! Is the initiative still on?

We have had two brilliant rounds of footy. In my opinion, the referees have influenced this more than any player.

We don't usually talk positively about referees influencing a game, but the consistency around the play the ball, penalising goal line defences that rush up early, playing advantage and sin inning professional fouls has all rewarded the right things in the game.

Long may it continue this year, the refereeing is for the moment at least, this year's highlight.

Edited by Graham

The initiative to make them play the ball correctly has worked really well. The message must have have been hammered home to the players because very few penalties have been blown for it.

The first two rounds have produced some thrilling games. Teams predicted to be fighting over the wooden spoon have given warning that it’s likely none of them will be walk overs.

So many of the games have benefitted by being in club grounds full of supporters creating real atmosphere, which is so much better than the the ANZ dud place for league games.

Avg of 20 penalties in two rounds . The amount of whistle has been noticeable and overwhelming in some matches . I noticed an article by Gus on this , saying the refs are to pressurised to blow penalties and have zero latitude by their bosses . It really is fracturing the game and they are having far to much involvement , much of it is interpretation and instruction 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Avg of 20 penalties in two rounds . The amount of whistle has been noticeable and overwhelming in some matches . I noticed an article by Gus on this , saying the refs are to pressurised to blow penalties and have zero latitude by their bosses . It really is fracturing the game and they are having far to much involvement , much of it is interpretation and instruction 

I wholeheartedly disagree. The players will improve as the season continues... or get dropped (unless they play for Cronulla where penalties are accepted).

The professional fouls, penalising offside defenders rushing up and cleaning up the PTB area have all been a breath of fresh air and rewards the right actions.

The use of advantage has been even more impressive. An area which was unfortunately lost on our sport for about 20 years on penalty offences.

• Like 1

As the first game in Round 3 finishes this issue has been brought into sharp focus.

It was a game where the whistle was blown freely throughout the game. Defenders going too early at the play of the ball particularly got blown up for.

Views have been expressed on this forum - see Round 3 Match Thread

Much of this was in favour of applying the rules - penalising players for breaking rules.

Blowing the whistle repeatedly throughout the game  was on script in an effort to clean up the game early on in the season as per the referees' initiative.

I am surprised that the ref didn't use the sin bin in this game as it might have deterred a lot of the messing about later in the game.

Matty Johns after the game defended the referees taking this 'clean-up' stance (my phrase).

His brother, Andrew Johns, however has taken the opposite view - see this article where it refers to his Referee Rant:

The referees have made their mark to open the 2018 NRL season with crackdowns on the play-the-ball, offside and professional fouls and by half-time of the grand final rematch the eighth Immortal was fed up.

Speaking in Channel Nine’s half-time show, Andrew Johns exploded at the officials for “destroying the game” with too many stoppages, with 12 penalties blown in the opening 40 minutes.

“I can’t really tell who’s the better team because the game has been destroyed by penalties,” Johns fumed.

“Twelve penalties blown in that first half and nearly three quarters of them for offside, inside the 10.

“There’s been 36 sets in that first half and every third set there’s a penalty.

“Rugby league games that flows and there’s attrition — as a ballplayer like myself and Locky you try to wear out the big guys.

“You can’t do that with so many penalties, it’s destroying the game, there’s no flow. Very frustrating to watch.”

Johns spoke with the Storm winning the game 18-8, with six of Melbourne’s points coming through Cameron Smith penalty goals.

Johnathan Thurston also kicked a penalty goal, with fans complaining on social media that the game resembled rugby union.

Johns had several high profile supporters of his referee rant, with premiership winning five-eighth Jamie Soward complaining it was more like a rave “there’s that many whistles”.

Edited by Graham

Not the Refs fault players are Messing constantly at the PTB and often offside. Are Refs supported to ignore it for the likes of dropkicks like Johns? Its up to Teams through the Coaches and Players to adjust and accept what the Refs are aiming for. The PTB area in attack and defence and off ides have been a joke for years. About time its being sorted even if it means a few round of 40 penalties. Long term its worth it!

• Like 1

The clubs expect the referees to eventually crack and just give in, reverting back to the "usual" standards and application of the rules.

I hope they stick to it and the players and clubs have to change. Its all well and good the media and the clubs moaning about all the penalties, but refs are just applying the rules and they will give fewer penalties when players commit fewer infringements.

I was listening to the Six Tackles with Gus podcast, Gus Gould seems to think that refs are being too pedantic in respect of penalties within 10m of a teams own line. I know its been discussed before but he mentioned again that teams deliberately give away penalties in their own 10 when they feel like their defensive line is getting shaky or disorganised. Penalties give them chance to reset, get a quick breather, and go again, so they don't care how many repeat sets are given as pressure switches to the attacking team who "should" be scoring after that many repeat sets. I reckon only repeated yellow cards can resolve this to be honest.

Thought the officials in the Bulldogs/Panthers game today were poor,with Penrith on the rough end of things and the amount of time they allowed the dogs to waste in the last set was  rediculous summed up their day.

Refs’ boss Sutton has said that the ref did get that wrong and that it was an incorrect penalty. Reviewing the incident he says that the penalised player had adjusted his position in line when the ball was played. Tigers fans and neutrals like me watching were upset with that particular decision which ended up deciding the result of the game going against Tigers.

If the ref decided to act on that then he could have penalised a number of previous similar play the balls.

“Brisbane was handed an easy shot at goals for a 9-7 victory after referee Ashley Klein penalised the Tigers for not staying square at marker.

Refs boss Bernard Sutton admitted the decision was incorrect, saying Tigers marker Robbie Rochow was originally not square but adjusted himself as the ball was played. Sutton revealed that he had reached out to dumbfounded Tigers coach Ivan Cleary.”

Reffing is a tough thankless job. But Ashley Klein is useless. He is forever making mistakes and changing games. He should never be a Pro Ref in any League in my opinion . 

Well that R4 game between Sharks and Storm brought this whole initiative by ref under the microscope. The way they are pursuing this appears to be just to heap penalties upon penalties in what appears to be the vain hope that players will realise they are wrong and correct their play. If as in this game it doesn’t work then surely, surely, the refs need to sin bin repeat offenders. This was needed early on in this game.

Some players are willing to repeatedly concede penalties to slow the game down and interrupt the flow. 

The Sharks V Storm game was the worst game of RL I have seen in a long time.

It was frustrating to watch. Frustration built and built towards the end by the time the penalty count had reached 30. The grappling  scenes between large numbers of players from both sides at the final whistle contributed to making this an ugly encounter that did nothing but harm for our game. Appalling.

It was a shambles.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

Game summary:

FANS may be frustrated with the amount of penalties being blown in the NRL but coaches say their players will just have to adapt to the changes.

Coaches and captains involved in the Cronulla v Melbourne penalty-athon on Friday have responded to the dour 80 minutes dominated by referees Matt Cecchin and Alan Shortall.

A total of 33 penalties were blown — 19 against the Storm and 14 against the Sharks.

On top of that, Luke Lewis and then Cameron Smith were sin binned for separate incidents.

Cameron Smith receives abuse and sarcastic applause from virtually everyone at the ground as he leaves the field for ten minutes.

1C0DB616-4816-4483-8C63-8FCF415183EF.jpeg.ba2dc44ff1442c46c96bac2ef1825001.jpeg

His detractors from far and wide went on to social media afterwards and hurled more negative comments his way. You’d be tempted to think they don’t like him. 

Edited by Graham
  • Haha 1

I watched the Channel 9 version yesterday. Gus Gould at no point in his post match rant apportioned any blame to the players. It was all directed at the head of referees and CEO.

It would be nice to hear commentary from somewhere, anywhere that begs the question, when will the players and coaches be made accountable?

• Like 1

Both the Coaches of Storm and Sharks refused to blame the Refs and focused on their own players indiscipline, as far as Cams sending off went, it did give the Bogans at Sharks chance to vent their sad spleens!

• Like 1

Gus Gould is just a big mouth former coach,has been for years. Thinks he knows it all,just one more reason why I watch Fox. My only complaint against Cecchin last night was that he clearly should`ve sent players to the bin for constantly infringing. I`m sure he will next week.

Whistle happy refs are killing the game in both the NRL &  Superleague,yesterdays 2 NRL games were awful and the result of the big Superleague game was influenced by an awful decision

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Whistle happy refs are killing the game in both the NRL &  Superleague,yesterdays 2 NRL games were awful and the result of the big Superleague game was influenced by an awful decision

No they're not Davo. Players persistently breaking the rules of the sport are ruining the spectacle.

The rules say get back 10m and stay there until the ball is played with the foot.

Every player out there has eyes and I assume a brain (however I can't be sure). Get back and don't move early. It's not rocket surgery for heaven's sake.

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

No they're not Davo. Players persistently breaking the rules of the sport are ruining the spectacle.

The rules say get back 10m and stay there until the ball is played with the foot.

Every player out there has eyes and I assume a brain (however I can't be sure). Get back and don't move early. It's not rocket surgery for heaven's sake.

Rubbish,you could find an offence in nearly every tackle if you looked hard enough,half a yard offside,3" not square etc,but the good refs used to apply common sense and for the sake of the spectacle let the game flow,that quality has been taken away by the powers that be and the game is far poorer for it.

Get back to the 1 ref system and let's see games decided by good play and not by who wins the penalty count.

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Rubbish,you could find an offence in nearly every tackle if you looked hard enough,half a yard offside,3" not square etc,but the good refs used to apply common sense and for the sake of the spectacle let the game flow,that quality has been taken away by the powers that be and the game is far poorer for it.

Get back to the 1 ref system and let's see games decided by good play and not by who wins the penalty count.

I do have a problem with half a yard offside. Especially within 10m. It terrorises the attack illegally. 

We aren't talking about 3" not square, we are talking about a metre or more.

If an attacking team plays the ball two metres out and the entire defensive backline are a metre or more offside, they are upon the attacking team's backline before the ball has got there. It is blantant rule breaking and that is what is ruining the game. Not the referees trying to bring some order back to the sport.

This directive has come from Todd Greenberg to get the game cleaned up and rightly so,so don`t blame the refs,they`re just doing their job to the best of their ability.