3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I was there and loved it.

Was it a knockout thriller? No. I Got the feeling AJ knew he didn't have to expend too much energy and he'd still win easy by probably round 4. 

But the atmosphere and "event" vibe was certainly there. The undercards were good fights and there was no trouble in the ground. With the roof on its really loud in there. Only complaint was the utter shambles for the coaches afterwards and getting back to Bristol at half 4. But i can hardly blame AJ and Eddie Hearn for that!

At least i got my moneys worth! 

I thought there'd be a lot more criticism but most people have been realistic. Joshua did what he had to do and pretty much everyone has fights like that. He got the job done. 

I've only once been a stadium fight and you could see b*gger all of the actual fight but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, I had a great time. 

• Like 2

The odds are out for a potential Joshua-Wilder fight. 

Joshua would be 4/7 and Wilder 11/8. I personally see it as more even than that but a lot depends on the venue and build up. 

Interestingly they also offer odds for if Joshua-Fury happens and they are almost evens. I find this incredible as per a previous post just don't see how Fury justifies this standing. Especially when you take into account that he won't have fought for nearly 3 years. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I thought there'd be a lot more criticism but most people have been realistic. Joshua did what he had to do and pretty much everyone has fights like that. He got the job done. 

I've only once been a stadium fight and you could see b*gger all of the actual fight but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, I had a great time. 

Exactly, everyone was there for a good time and to see AJ win. A KO would have been nice but didn't define my enjoyment. I think it basically exposed Parker as fundamentally a class below AJ atm. 

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Exactly, everyone was there for a good time and to see AJ win. A KO would have been nice but didn't define my enjoyment. I think it basically exposed Parker as fundamentally a class below AJ atm. 

I expected more from Parker and the ref didn't help but he never looked threatening. Joshua was always in control and on the front foot. 

Very different prospect if he meets Wilder though. I'm pretty certain one way or another that isn't going the distance. 

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

The odds are out for a potential Joshua-Wilder fight. 

Joshua would be 4/7 and Wilder 11/8. I personally see it as more even than that but a lot depends on the venue and build up. 

Interestingly they also offer odds for if Joshua-Fury happens and they are almost evens. I find this incredible as per a previous post just don't see how Fury justifies this standing. Especially when you take into account that he won't have fought for nearly 3 years. 

Fury is an interesting one. I suppose Bookies are covering their backs if he does win. Everyone seems to think he's the one to challenge AJ most after Klitschko.

I reckon he'll fight Wilder in Britian before fighting Fury anyway, who'd have to earn the right surely?

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I expected more from Parker and the ref didn't help but he never looked threatening. Joshua was always in control and on the front foot. 

Very different prospect if he meets Wilder though. I'm pretty certain one way or another that isn't going the distance. 

Yeah that should be a more explosive fight altogether. Parker just couldn't get close because of his reach.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Fury is an interesting one. I suppose Bookies are covering their backs if he does win. Everyone seems to think he's the one to challenge AJ most after Klitschko.

I reckon he'll fight Wilder in Britian before fighting Fury anyway, who'd have to earn the right surely?

Yeah that should be a more explosive fight altogether. Parker just couldn't get close because of his reach.

Yeh you'd have to think that Fury will need a couple of warm up fights before fighting Joshua. 

There's no way Wilder-Joshua is a technical boxing match. Wilder's obvious power means that trying to go for a points victory leaves you open to getting caught by a big shot. Ortiz was doing pretty well but didn't stop him when he had his chance. I suspect Joshua will see the way Ortiz rocked him and come to the conclusion that stopping him might be his best bet. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's the return of Amir Khan tonight and I think that'll take preference over the Frampton - Donaire fight on BT for me. The presumption is that he'll win pretty easy but there's always an element of you never know when a previously big fighter returns. Ricky Hatton comes to mind. 

Sadly early signs are that AJ and Wilder talks are going to be difficult. That's the real pain of boxing, the whole economic model prevents many fights from happening when they should. 

• Like 1

Been to a couple of fight nights in Manchester and Newcastle following Amir Khan on his bid to prove himself at world level.

Great handspeed and good boxing skills, but never the chin or durability to show he belonged amongst the best.

Not sure about this latest comeback unless he’s trying to set himself up later for a biggish pay day against Kell Brook.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Been to a couple of fight nights in Manchester and Newcastle following Amir Khan on his bid to prove himself at world level.

Great handspeed and good boxing skills, but never the chin or durability to show he belonged amongst the best.

Not sure about this latest comeback unless he’s trying to set himself up later for a biggish pay day against Kell Brook.

Khan's chin is a mystery. He shook off some seriously hard shots from Marcos Maidana, who's a heavy puncher. But he's been laid out by boxers with less of a reputation for knock-outs.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Great showing but I'm sure even he would've preferred a bit longer.

Absolutely. O boxer needs to feel a bit tested, and that he has given the crowd something to remember. Mind you, it could be worse; I remember Nicky Piper knocking an opponent out with his first punch. An opponent who'd done all the training and media build-up, as well as flying across the Atlantic to, basically, walk about four paces across the ring.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Absolutely. O boxer needs to feel a bit tested, and that he has given the crowd something to remember. Mind you, it could be worse; I remember Nicky Piper knocking an opponent out with his first punch. An opponent who'd done all the training and media build-up, as well as flying across the Atlantic to, basically, walk about four paces across the ring.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My mistake - his opponent was American, but not USA-based. But yes, that was the fight.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's probably worth pointing out to those not in the know, that one of the biggest boxing matches in the world will be between two amateur boxers.

KSI vs Logan Paul will be huge but amongst largely non-boxing fans. KSI's previous fight against Joe Weller was viewed 23 million times on Youtube and had 1.6 million viewers live. Logan Paul has way more subscribers than Weller (17m to 5m), is more well known as a result of his recent idiocy and as a result the fight is being held at the MEN. 

I'd never heard of KSI until I saw a Mayweather video where he was at their gym, it's like a whole different world that has passed me by!

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's probably worth pointing out to those not in the know, that one of the biggest boxing matches in the world will be between two amateur boxers.

KSI vs Logan Paul will be huge but amongst largely non-boxing fans. KSI's previous fight against Joe Weller was viewed 23 million times on Youtube and had 1.6 million viewers live. Logan Paul has way more subscribers than Weller (17m to 5m), is more well known as a result of his recent idiocy and as a result the fight is being held at the MEN. 

I'd never heard of KSI until I saw a Mayweather video where he was at their gym, it's like a whole different world that has passed me by!

When will this be and how can we see watch (other than attending)

The build up begins for Haye-Bellew II and I recently watched the gloves are off. Bellew appears to be playing a blinder, Haye is trying to appear all calm this time but Bellew forced him into losing it for a few seconds. 

I think Haye will likely win if his body holds up but you never know. Bellew clearly thinks he's got the measure of him. 

As for AJ-Wilder, the signs are not promising. For some reason the Americans are playing silly beggars and don't seem serious about making the fight. Say what you like about Hearns but he is trying to make a fight in the normal way. Wilder's team won't respond and have cancelled two meetings. In response they sent AJ an email saying they had $50m for him and he had 24 hours to accept, no guarantee or contract - nothing. At the same time relative no mark Dominic Breazeale has said he's been told they're fighting in June/July. 

No wonder that despite being 40-0 (39 KOs) and the WBC heavyweight champion of the world, he is unknown in the US, can't sellout a small arena and earns 1/10th what AJ does after 20 fights. 

There’s a few interesting bouts in May coming up as others have said:

05/05/18

David Haye (W29-L2-D1) vs Tony Bellew (W28-L3) heavyweight contest at the O2

Can see Haye getting Bellew out of there quite early doors on Saturday.  Seen enough of Bellew’s career to be worried about his ability to take Haye’s power.  I still think it’s a testament to Hearns’ showmanship that two old blown up cruiserweights are able to command a PPV without a belt being on the line.

12/05/18

Jorge Linares (W44-L3) vs Vasyl Lomachenko (W10-L1) WBA Lightweight World title at Madison Square Garden

A mouthwatering prospect of Linares, a four time three weight World Champion who is probably best known in this country for his two defeats of Anthony Crolla, versus Lomachenko who is considered by many to be the best pound for pound active boxer in the world.  The Ukrainian who is the WBO Super Featherweight World champion, a double Olympic boxing gold medalist and famously winner of 396 of 397 amateur fights, is moving up a weight to challenge Linares.  Can’t wait as it could be a great fight.

19/05/18

Lee Selby (W26-L1) vs Josh Warrington (W26-L0) IBF Featherweight World title at Elland Rd

I think this is difficult to predict with champion Selby having more technical skill, but Warrington perhaps carrying more momentum from his blistering finish in his last fight.  The winner may face Carl Frampton in Belfast.

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

And another failed boxing bet. 

Wow. 

Haye manages to be gracious in defeat.

British boxing is having halcyon days.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014