Recommended Posts

There'll be a lot of talk about how this is a fix but I think a draw is a fair result.

Logan won the first two rounds so decisively that the bookies had him at 7-1 ON to win at that point. KSI came back and edged rounds 3 and 4 before Logan probably edged the fifth round. KSI completely bossed the last round and threatened to take him out but that's 3 rounds a piece by my books. Had it gone any further Logan Paul would've definitely lost.

Not sure who would win the rematch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I was expecting more windmilling, and the last 2-3 rounds to be total wrestling after they punch themselves out.  

Fair play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone ordering Canelo v Golovkin ? If so I need to ask them a question 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Is anyone ordering Canelo v Golovkin ? If so I need to ask them a question 

I’m thinking about it, what is the question?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m thinking about it, what is the question?

I have sky but not bt sport , and I want a way to buy it to record , but they talk about registering and paying online - but if you do that you can’t record it ... but you can’t first up buy it on your sky box . Seems a catch 22 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavidM said:

I have sky but not bt sport , and I want a way to buy it to record , but they talk about registering and paying online - but if you do that you can’t record it ... but you can’t first up buy it on your sky box . Seems a catch 22 

It does, mate.

I’ve got BT on the Sky platform at the moment so I’ve not really looked at the alternative viewing options closely.

One thing I’ll always thank Joshua for is the return of big time boxing at a reasonable hour on a Saturday.

Personally I think I’ll probably go to bed early and get up and watch it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It does, mate.

I’ve got BT on the Sky platform at the moment so I’ve not really looked at the alternative viewing options closely.

One thing I’ll always thank Joshua for is the return of big time boxing at a reasonable hour on a Saturday.

Personally I think I’ll probably go to bed early and get up and watch it.

Generally , I always think with boxing that it must be the only sport that puts the main attraction folk want to see on at the most unfan friendly time . It’s 11 or past it and viewers and speccies are half asleep , recorded it or just waiting to go and catch the last train or something ! Yet at 8 or 9 I’m watching a rubbish four rounder . Seems bizarre . I think the main event should be prime time 9 ish then carry on the bill 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Generally , I always think with boxing that it must be the only sport that puts the main attraction folk want to see on at the most unfan friendly time . It’s 11 or past it and viewers and speccies are half asleep , recorded it or just waiting to go and catch the last train or something ! Yet at 8 or 9 I’m watching a rubbish four rounder . Seems bizarre . I think the main event should be prime time 9 ish then carry on the bill 

Agreed, maybe things will change a little as Hearn seems to be marketing Joshua beyond the hardcore of boxing fans.

Perhaps we’ll see a relaxing of some of the traditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding fight between GGG and Alvarez ( why they universally call him Canelo , even the onscreen HBO coverage when it’s not his name ! ) . Far better than the first , all action fight . For the little it’s worth I had it a draw with Alvarez dominating the first half and GGG working strongly into the fight as it progressed . Some of his shots would poleaxe everyone else - Alvarez has one of the all time great chins . Personally Alvarez has gone down in my estimation after the failed drug tests. I don’t understand why different jurisdictions have different rules - should be a unitary boxing regulator in this and strict bans . Some guys get barely a slap on the wrist or minimal sanctions it seems. Still , great fight and surely a third one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Outstanding fight between GGG and Alvarez ( why they universally call him Canelo , even the onscreen HBO coverage when it’s not his name ! ) . Far better than the first , all action fight . For the little it’s worth I had it a draw with Alvarez dominating the first half and GGG working strongly into the fight as it progressed . Some of his shots would poleaxe everyone else - Alvarez has one of the all time great chins . Personally Alvarez has gone down in my estimation after the failed drug tests. I don’t understand why different jurisdictions have different rules - should be a unitary boxing regulator in this and strict bans . Some guys get barely a slap on the wrist or minimal sanctions it seems. Still , great fight and surely a third one ?

Not sure as Golovkin is getting older each time and if he couldn't win last night I don't see how he could win another. If they fight again, it'll no doubt be in Las Vegas again with favourable scoring for Canelo.

Most accept that it could've gone either way but independent sources almost exclusively have it for Golovkin. There's not the uproar of the first one but it still feels a little sour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Not sure as Golovkin is getting older each time and if he couldn't win last night I don't see how he could win another. If they fight again, it'll no doubt be in Las Vegas again with favourable scoring for Canelo.

Most accept that it could've gone either way but independent sources almost exclusively have it for Golovkin. There's not the uproar of the first one but it still feels a little sour.

Harold Lederman had it for Golovkin all the way and pretty wide as it went . My mate asked me if I had to pick one overall rather than as I seen it round by round  who would I go for ,  and I said GGG immediately on the general perception . But round by round I had it even. Not a robbery , but if there’s another fight it shouldn’t be in Nevada , that has tainted this duel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My uncle went to the Golovkin fight and even though his man lost still enjoyed.

For me, my AJ tickets arrived this week. Can't wait for another night of great atmosphere at the boxing. Although the undercards and potentially the stadium (in terms of watching a boxing match) aren't as good as the last one, I'm very excited. 

Having seen Povetkin v Price, both fighters could have won it just happened to be Povetkin that landed the knockout blow. This gives me confidence for AJ, the longer this goes on the more likely he is to win.

Regardless, I certainly won't be missing the 4 hour coach back to Bristol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

My uncle went to the Golovkin fight and even though his man lost still enjoyed.

For me, my AJ tickets arrived this week. Can't wait for another night of great atmosphere at the boxing. Although the undercards and potentially the stadium (in terms of watching a boxing match) aren't as good as the last one, I'm very excited. 

Having seen Povetkin v Price, both fighters could have won it just happened to be Povetkin that landed the knockout blow. This gives me confidence for AJ, the longer this goes on the more likely he is to win.

Regardless, I certainly won't be missing the 4 hour coach back to Bristol!

Just looking at the undercard it’s disappointing . Hearn at least usually tries to stack the PPV card . In general the number of PPV coming up is pretty over the top really. People pay good money then need to pay again for more big fights . Unwelcome trend that more n more even below the absolute best few are being included in this across channels . Being a bit fleeced 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just looking at the undercard it’s disappointing . Hearn at least usually tries to stack the PPV card . In general the number of PPV coming up is pretty over the top really. People pay good money then need to pay again for more big fights . Unwelcome trend that more n more even below the absolute best few are being included in this across channels . Being a bit fleeced 

I find the whole PPV model a bit bizarre tbh and I'm never quite sure how they sold it in the first place.

"You know those huge fights you used to get for free? Well how do you fancy watching them but paying more for them so the fighters can earn millions more than they used to!"

It actually works better now that there are multiple platforms to watch the fight on. Even if you don't have a Sky box you can get the fight and as someone who only has Sky Sports mobile for a £5 it's not that big a deal getting one. I only ever get them if they are huge fights and even then I'll get people round (Joshua-Klitschko). If it's an OK fight I'll go the pub and watch it (Joshua-Povetkin). If it's only mildly interesting, well where there's a will there's a way!

There is a bit of a perfect storm at the moment with a number of huge fights coming up at once and it could seriously affect the PPV model. There could be one nearly every weekend around November and December. Eddie Hearn has questioned the viability of it long term but this could be to do with the whole DAZN experiment which doesn't use PPV.

Thank God we're not American anyway, imagine paying £65 for a fight that could last a minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

My uncle went to the Golovkin fight and even though his man lost still enjoyed.

For me, my AJ tickets arrived this week. Can't wait for another night of great atmosphere at the boxing. Although the undercards and potentially the stadium (in terms of watching a boxing match) aren't as good as the last one, I'm very excited. 

Having seen Povetkin v Price, both fighters could have won it just happened to be Povetkin that landed the knockout blow. This gives me confidence for AJ, the longer this goes on the more likely he is to win.

Regardless, I certainly won't be missing the 4 hour coach back to Bristol!

I'm just hoping to see a return to the old AJ. Povetkin will be a challenge and has never been stopped so this would be a real coup for him. There's always the chance though he could get caught and Povetkin can punch so he'll need to be on his guard.

The Fury-Wilder negotiations are still on-going despite Frank Warren saying it would be confirmed the week after his last fight. Don't be surprised to see it announced this week in the lead up to the AJ fight. For all their bluster about how they're the real champions, they're still desperate to use his name and profile for their own fight. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I find the whole PPV model a bit bizarre tbh and I'm never quite sure how they sold it in the first place.

"You know those huge fights you used to get for free? Well how do you fancy watching them but paying more for them so the fighters can earn millions more than they used to!"

It actually works better now that there are multiple platforms to watch the fight on. Even if you don't have a Sky box you can get the fight and as someone who only has Sky Sports mobile for a £5 it's not that big a deal getting one. I only ever get them if they are huge fights and even then I'll get people round (Joshua-Klitschko). If it's an OK fight I'll go the pub and watch it (Joshua-Povetkin). If it's only mildly interesting, well where there's a will there's a way!

There is a bit of a perfect storm at the moment with a number of huge fights coming up at once and it could seriously affect the PPV model. There could be one nearly every weekend around November and December. Eddie Hearn has questioned the viability of it long term but this could be to do with the whole DAZN experiment which doesn't use PPV.

Thank God we're not American anyway, imagine paying £65 for a fight that could last a minute.

You’re right . Why earn 2 million when everyone involved can earn 10 million by fleecing the public again . You’re thinking what am I paying for in the first place with subscriptions if not to watch quality fights ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love watching the big fights but the cost and regularity of the PPV events is becoming a bit of a joke. I have bought a few PPV events over the past year and its certainly very expensive and poor value for one night. Boxing does the hype and glamour very well in selling these events, and Joshua has been a Godsend in that regard really, but if they are not careful people will start voting with their wallets.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Damien said:

I love watching the big fights but the cost and regularity of the PPV events is becoming a bit of a joke. I have bought a few PPV events over the past year and its certainly very expensive and poor value for one night. Boxing does the hype and glamour very well in selling these events, and Joshua has been a Godsend in that regard really, but if they are not careful people will start voting with their wallets.

I'm not necessarily sure they're fleecing much more than usual, I just think there has been a couple of factors that have led to a sudden influx. The main one is the healthy state of British boxing and the sudden surge of big fights at once. Based on previous PPVs it's hard to argue that Joshua-Povetkin, Bellew-Usyk, Khan-Pacquiao/Brook and Fury-Wilder should be on PPV. Then you have Groves-Smith and White-Chisora which are not ridiculous but pushing it a little. These are all likely before Christmas.

Another issue is the introduction of BT Sport as a player. Frampton-Warrington shouldn't be PPV and will do poorly I reckon, I also think it was a bad sign that Golovkin-Canelo was PPV. The big US fights never used to be on PPV, even one as huge as Mayweather-De la Hoya. I suspect Mayweather-Pacquiao was the first but that was exceptional.

I suspect UFC will be going that way over here as well. I'm not sure about McGregor-Khabib but there was talk about it.

 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Damien said:

I love watching the big fights but the cost and regularity of the PPV events is becoming a bit of a joke. I have bought a few PPV events over the past year and its certainly very expensive and poor value for one night. Boxing does the hype and glamour very well in selling these events, and Joshua has been a Godsend in that regard really, but if they are not careful people will start voting with their wallets.

Greed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe either of the Bellew-Haye fights should have been PPVs nor the Whyte-Parker fight.

World title fights with British boxers especially at heavyweight, I would expect to pay extra for, but not eliminators unless the undercard is loaded with decent belts up for grabs at other weights.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just looking at the undercard it’s disappointing . Hearn at least usually tries to stack the PPV card . In general the number of PPV coming up is pretty over the top really. People pay good money then need to pay again for more big fights . Unwelcome trend that more n more even below the absolute best few are being included in this across channels . Being a bit fleeced 

Yeah really the next Bellew or Parker v Whyte fights should have been the big undercard here. Always liked the idea that in the undercards you were watching a potential future main event fighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here