when is it too hot to play rl?

My wife is Filipino, and I was always wondering how you could battle the heat if you expanded into a place like the Philippines since they just have one endless summer over there. I was thinking compulsory headgear that gets swapped over into an esky  full of ice and cold water. Life as a hat sales man taught me that you lose 80% of body heat through your head. If each player wore cold wet head gear that was swapped over every 20 mins that would keep the body temp down to a safe level in theory. Id have to ask a doctor to find out for sure. 

Quarters instead of halves with a cold hose down would also probably help. 

4 minutes ago, B rad said:

My wife is Filipino, and I was always wondering how you could battle the heat if you expanded into a place like the Philippines since they just have one endless summer over there. I was thinking compulsory headgear that gets swapped over into an esky  full of ice and cold water. Life as a hat sales man taught me that you lose 80% of body heat through your head. If each player wore cold wet head gear that was swapped over every 20 mins that would keep the body temp down to a safe level in theory. Id have to ask a doctor to find out for sure. 

what about the sun burning off the excess water and doing skin damage?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, B rad said:

10 PM kick off, TV won't like it, public transport might not be available at the end of the game, but that really makes a difference when it's 40 during the day.

1 minute ago, B rad said:

They are fairly brown they don't get a lot of sunburn, but there is always SPF 15

tell that to james graham

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

wow, 38c at kick off and 40c at half time- is that dangerous heat for players of any fitness?

Seriously I would say yes , it’s brutal even being out in it . And in a day of player welfare ....there wasn’t even a drinks break 

More frequent breaks, with kit like ice collars (as used in the Australian Open Tennis) on hand might help.

But some people just seem to be more susceptible to exertion in heat than others.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Seriously I would say yes , it’s brutal even being out in it . And in a day of player welfare ....there wasn’t even a drinks break 

Did anyone tell the NRL medical adviser? He seems to be on top of all potential dangers these days.

23 minutes ago, B rad said:

QI addressed the 80% heat loss figure regarding hats, explaining that it was mostly because the head is more often uncovered while the body is clothed, rather than the head radiating more heat. So the figure would already be less for players wearing thin jerseys and shorts.

For cooling, it is good to get contact between a chilled object and somewhere on the body where there are large blood vessels near the skin - neck and crotch being two examples.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

QI addressed the 80% heat loss figure regarding hats, explaining that it was mostly because the head is more often uncovered while the body is clothed, rather than the head radiating more heat. So the figure would already be less for players wearing thin jerseys and shorts.

For cooling, it is good to get contact between a chilled object and somewhere on the body where there are large blood vessels near the skin - neck and crotch being two examples.

cant see many players scoring the full length of the pitch with a packet of frozen peas down their jock strap!

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant see many players scoring the full length of the pitch with a packet of frozen peas down their jock strap!

I was talking of applying cooling aids during the break, of course. But that mental image... :biggrin: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

There would be less testicular injuries since they would be so small and hard to target at least 

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you can get your girlfriend to put her hand in the fridge for a few minutes then happy days ...

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If you can get your girlfriend to put her hand in the fridge for a few minutes then happy days ...

Depends if she intends to wrap her hands around your neck, or...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Incidentally it was a bit bemusing to hear the comms say these teams meet in round 7 . I don’t get how teams meet each other again so soon , you see it a few times there either early or late in the season ?

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think huge television money  may be very significant here 

the money paying supporters  even said it should have been delayed till the sun went down and they were only laid out with a tinnie!

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

the money paying supporters  even said it should have been delayed till the sun went down and they were only laid out with a tinnie!

I think parra wished it had been delayed until Manly went home . I haven’t seen the post match but I wonder if they used conditions as an excuse 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think parra wished it had been delayed until Manly went home . I haven’t seen the post match but I wonder if they used conditions as an excuse 

Parra went out and "warmed" up on the field for 30 minutes. Manly stayed in the sheds for their warm-up.

Archived