Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Surreal and an honour

So is she employed by St Helens RLFC? Would she be officiating any of their games or in a comp that they are playing in?

I got the impression she is an official (ref, touchie) and 'works' in a rugby capacity doing games for the RFL, hence the meetings (presumably) in Leeds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So is she employed by St Helens RLFC? Would she be officiating any of their games or in a comp that they are playing in?

She’s an official for the RFL and playing for Saints Ladies.  She’ll officiate where they tell her, I would imagine.  Good on her.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

She's got a bit of a nerve. Asking to be paid to travel to Yorkshire when she should be paying to be allowed to enter.

😄

Reminds me of the ‘Yorkshire Border’ scene from Wallace and Gromit:

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Why not? If it's good enough for a world cup final, it should be good enough for SL.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

"Every week could be different. I'll be doing both every weekend once the Women's Super League season kicks off [in April] but during the week I work as well as we don't get paid to play."

No, she isn't employed by Saints.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

She’s an official for the RFL and playing for Saints Ladies.  She’ll officiate where they tell her, I would imagine.  Good on her.

But that doesnt answer what I asked.

Im sure no other St Helens official would be able to ref St Helens, hence the question.

It is a unique situation.

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

"Every week could be different. I'll be doing both every weekend once the Women's Super League season kicks off [in April] but during the week I work as well as we don't get paid to play."

No, she isn't employed by Saints.

Thanks, that goes some way to answering it, although not completely.

I think its a great development...2018. 

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I think its a great development...2018. 

Indeed. It is surprising that RL seems to be a distance behind other sports on this 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. It is surprising that RL seems to be a distance behind other sports on this 

We will get there eventually.

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

Not sure Rugby League is behind on this.

There was a female touch judge in the championship 6 or 7 years ago, albeit not for very long.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

But that doesnt answer what I asked.

Im sure no other St Helens official would be able to ref St Helens, hence the question.

It is a unique situation.

The nearest equivalent I can come up with is Russell Smith, the former referee, used to play for Bradford before taking up the whistle and that didn't prevent him reffing our games. Fat lot of 'advantage' that gave us, btw...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

The nearest equivalent I can come up with is Russell Smith, the former referee, used to play for Bradford before taking up the whistle and that didn't prevent him reffing our games. Fat lot of 'advantage' that gave us, btw...

Let’s be honest, he didn’t give Leeds an inch when he refereed them. 

57 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

51 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Let’s be honest, he didn’t give Leeds an inch when he refereed them. 

Well we can trump you both as he ripped Wire off of the league back in 1994, when we finished joint top with Bradford and Wigan. 

I recall he highlighted his error in penalising Paul Cullen to give Wigan a draw at Wilderspool (IIRC) in League Express or similar as a career lowlight/regret.

59 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

I think there are quite a few examples of ex players reffing their old clubs, that would be a difficult one to prevent even if they wanted to.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well we can trump you both as he ripped Wire off of the league back in 1994, when we finished joint top with Bradford and Wigan. 

I recall he highlighted his error in penalising Paul Cullen to give Wigan a draw at Wilderspool (IIRC) in League Express or similar as a career lowlight/regret.

A quick survey will confirm that he was biased against both teams in every match.

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2018 at 9:00 PM, Dave T said:

Thanks, that goes some way to answering it, although not completely.

I don’t know whether she’s employed or not but I doubt they would prevent her reffing Saints.  

Not sure how many senior games Julia Lee reffed but she was quite impartial.  

On 22/03/2018 at 11:04 AM, Dave T said:

I think there are quite a few examples of ex players reffing their old clubs, that would be a difficult one to prevent even if they wanted to.

Ex Donny player/druggie bloem refereed Donny when they played at Workington. Not sure if he was just biased or up to his old erm.... Habit.... 

Ive saw Tara officiating many times around the Warrington amateur clubs and in my opinion is one of the best I've seen. Good on her.