Recommended Posts

I was thinking only yesterday that Test cricket is dying (so I'm not reacting in a knee jerk fashion to that scoreline) which is a shame as I much prefer the longer form of the game, but performances like that only accelerate the decline.  As much as I like Test Cricket it's starting to get devalued as teams don't spend long enough acclimatising on tour and just seem to get rolled over very quickly.  Games seem to routinely finish early. 

It's a real shame but I really don't see how test cricket has much of a future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like England's reliable 12th man, rain, is being far more effective than the rest of the team.  Would need a Scottish summer's worth though for England to hold out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Scotland, they managed to find a way of failing to qualify for the World Cup finals that the football team would have been proud of.

Afghanistan came back from nearly being eliminated in the group stages to sneaking past Ireland in the last over to qualify ahead of them and Zimbabwe, who failed to beat the UAE even with home advantage.

It's been a very good qualification competition although I think limiting the finals to 10 is a backwards step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ckn said:

Looks like England's reliable 12th man, rain, is being far more effective than the rest of the team.  Would need a Scottish summer's worth though for England to hold out.

England’s 12th man holds out for all bar 17 balls on day 3. Faint hope rises on the horizon for a mighty draw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ckn said:

England’s 12th man holds out for all bar 17 balls on day 3. Faint hope rises on the horizon for a mighty draw. 

IN YOUR FACE NEW ZEALAND.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tim2 said:

Speaking of Scotland, they managed to find a way of failing to qualify for the World Cup finals that the football team would have been proud of.

Afghanistan came back from nearly being eliminated in the group stages to sneaking past Ireland in the last over to qualify ahead of them and Zimbabwe, who failed to beat the UAE even with home advantage.

It's been a very good qualification competition although I think limiting the finals to 10 is a backwards step.

The numbers are meant to go up again for the next one. Limiting to ten and making the World T20 every four years are just two of the many retrograde steps the ICC have made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m happy to be corrected, but if the real money to be made is in Twenty 20 then surely cricketers are always going to be focusing their game in that area rather than the long form of the game?

As a fan, I think that from an entertainment perspective there’s still something special about watching a run chase in the last session of an Ashes test or a spectacular batting collapse.  The trouble is these moments are too few and far between for a casual sports fan or a new fan to embrace.

I was unconvinced about Twenty 20 until I actually went to some games at Lancashire and realised what a laugh it was, with enough quality action fit into probably the maximum amount of time I want to watch any game of cricket in one stretch.

I’m probably now more interested in Twenty 20 than test matches which I never thought I’d say.  

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen a T20. I'm unlikely to.

Its of little interest to me. If first class cricket dies, and i believe it will as cticket evolves into what the masses want, then my interest in the sport will die with it.

No big protest, foot stomping or gnashing of teeth.... I'm just not interested in the smash n clap version of the game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's mainly the Indian clubs and their "influence" that are driving the ICC decisions, the amount of money is just overwhelming to every other nation and test cricket just doesn't provide that.  Even a T20 world cup outside of India isn't a massive money maker and is relegated in importance to making sure the bigger players are available for the Indian season.

I'm with Robin on this one... There's no better sport to have on in the background when working at home than test cricket.  It's a more relaxed pace of life with far more capacity for tactics and all sorts of playing styles, from the blockers to the sluggers and the fast bowlers to all sorts of spin.  Watching a two hour session of few runs but excellent battle between good batsmen and a good bowling attack can be much more enjoyable and satisfying than watching a T20 game of players shuffle down the pitch for every ball to try to smash it.

I tried to watch some T20 but it didn't grip me in the slightest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd be just as happy watching a local club game on a nice sunny day with a pint as I would watching the more serious stuff. 

On another note, I find the England players increasingly unlikeable.  I don't know whether this is because of my age, but I don't find this with other sports I watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the time difference the game starts at 11am over here in South Australia.  So on day one I got home from work around 2pm and switched the tv on.  I saw NZ were about 15-1 and I thought rain must have delayed the start and I hoped they would go on to get a decent score to give England a game.

I was even more confused when I looked at the info along the bottom of the screen that pointed out NZ were 43 runs behind.  I actually thought the game was into the second day.

What a shocker when the England score was announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckn said:

It's mainly the Indian clubs and their "influence" that are driving the ICC decisions, the amount of money is just overwhelming to every other nation and test cricket just doesn't provide that.  Even a T20 world cup outside of India isn't a massive money maker and is relegated in importance to making sure the bigger players are available for the Indian season.

I'm with Robin on this one... There's no better sport to have on in the background when working at home than test cricket.  It's a more relaxed pace of life with far more capacity for tactics and all sorts of playing styles, from the blockers to the sluggers and the fast bowlers to all sorts of spin.  Watching a two hour session of few runs but excellent battle between good batsmen and a good bowling attack can be much more enjoyable and satisfying than watching a T20 game of players shuffle down the pitch for every ball to try to smash it.

I tried to watch some T20 but it didn't grip me in the slightest.

Twenty years ago....Atherton and Russel batted all day for next to no runs to save a test. Inspiring rearguard action.... tense to the very end..... love that stuff.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I’m going to horrify the traditionalists again (😉) with my suggestion for what test cricket is lacking: a coherent tournament.

It would take a leap of faith, but I’m ready to ditch the meandering test calendar whereby the best test playing nation is rarely established.

Shoot me down, but I would utilise the the American style playoff system with seeding and a seven match home and away series akin to baseball or basketball.

An example would be to take the top 8 Test playing nations, seed them 1-8 using current rankings and then let them compete for the title of Test World Champions in a straight forward knock out tournament to be played over 3 years.

An example schedule:

Round One (Best of 7)

England - West Indies

Test 1 - Lords (England) 5 days 

Test 2 - Oval (England) 5 days

Test 3 - Kensington Oval (Barbados) 5 days

Test 4 - Sabina Park (Jamaica) 5 days

Test 5 - Queen’s Park Oval (Trinidad and Tobago)*

Test 6 - Edgbaston (England)*

Test 7 - Old Trafford (England)*

*if required

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aussies cheating. Aussies complaining about the other team sledging - happy to dish it out, not happy when the other team does it back. Some things never change.

Both the NZ/England and SA/Australia series have been pretty unpredictable though - good to watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way does the most junior player on the team walk out on to the pitch with some sandpaper in his pocket without the coach knowing about it. Gotta be some bans handed out for this, particularly after the charade about turning out his pockets to the umpire and acting innocent.

Really don't understand why they're complaining about the unpleasant stuff from the crowd either. Lehmann actively encouraged the Aussie crowd to shout abuse at English players (e.g Broad.) and there's been numerous incidents of Aussie spectators racially abusing overseas players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't followed cricket for decades but htis is just bizarre. I watche Smith post-match and he says he won't be stepping down ?!?@?@?#? WTF?!?@?#?@?!?@?# How is it even his choice? Surely he gets fired instantly and gets sent home, along with the rest of the "leadership group" who instructed Banfield to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I haven't followed cricket for decades but htis is just bizarre. I watche Smith post-match and he says he won't be stepping down ?!?@?@?#? WTF?!?@?#?@?!?@?# How is it even his choice? Surely he gets fired instantly and gets sent home, along with the rest of the "leadership group" who instructed Banfield to do it.

It's normally only a 1-match ban for ball tampering, so I think that by acting contrite they hope to limit the damage to some players missing a game rather than anything more permanent. It does seem to take it to a level of illegality beyond surreptitiously scraping at the seam with your fingernails though or rubbing your hand in your sunscreen on your forehead and applying that to the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JonM said:

It's normally only a 1-match ban for ball tampering, so I think that by acting contrite they hope to limit the damage to some players missing a game rather than anything more permanent. It does seem to take it to a level of illegality beyond surreptitiously scraping at the seam with your fingernails though or rubbing your hand in your sunscreen on your forehead and applying that to the ball.

Smith represents a cricket-loving nation (apparently) at cricket, our major national sport. If he was just some bench player in a 3rd Div RL game then a 1-match ban would be fine. I'm not concerned with the penalties given by cricket authorities, as much as I am by the penalties imposed by Cricket Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I haven't followed cricket for decades but htis is just bizarre. I watche Smith post-match and he says he won't be stepping down ?!?@?@?#? WTF?!?@?#?@?!?@?# How is it even his choice? Surely he gets fired instantly and gets sent home, along with the rest of the "leadership group" who instructed Banfield to do it.

Well, that didn't last - Smith and Warner have now "agreed" to stand down for the remainder of the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other sports (e.g. Athletics), when you're found to have cheated, the medal goes to the person or team who finished second. On that basis, I think England just won the Ashes ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How glorious is to see the Aussies fall in the only sport that has given them success on the world stage and protected them from feeling like failures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 25 May - June 2018

Rugby League World - June 2018 - Out Fri 25 May

Rugby League Books On Sale Here