2 minutes ago, ckn said:

And that's why I'm an armchair cricket fan...

Times 2

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

And that's why I'm an armchair cricket fan...

That’s almost perfect timing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The end of Mr Pants

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

Are England seeing something in this old ball that I'm not?  Why would you NOT take the new ball immediately when you've two settled players smacking the remaining leather off the old ball?  It's not as if the lack of pace on the ball is slowing them down either.

Is there any chance you could have a pop at Anderson as well. We might get this won before I have to go out. 😉

Just now, bobbruce said:

Is there any chance you could have a pop at Anderson as well. We might get this won before I have to go out. 😉

He's a bit old, past it and clearly those tail-enders have nothing to fear by coming down the pitch to him.

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

He’s a character alright 

25 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So where does Cook rank in the pantheon of all time English and World greats?

At his peak, he was phenomenal, but recent years have seen him drop to the level of England's other openers.

Great that he finished it with a superb innings, though.

30 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So where does Cook rank in the pantheon of all time English and World greats?

He finished in the perfect way , but we can’t forget his decline in the last two or three years and the criticism he got which mysteriously vanished when he announced his retirement. And an all time list must take into account many factors . Honestly , I understand his method but I never found Cook enjoyable to watch . He’s up there in pure stats , but KP is the best England batsman I’ve ever seen . So of course we got rid of him for not being very English and conforming 

Edited by DavidM

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

He finished in the perfect way , but we can’t forget his decline in the last two or three years and the criticism he got which mysteriously vanished when he announced his retirement. And an all time list must take into account many factors . Honestly , I understand his method but I never found Cook enjoyable to watch . He’s up there in pure stats , but KP is the best England batsman I’ve ever seen . So of course we got rid of him for not being very English and conforming 

At his best, Cook was more like a less uncouth Australian than an English player. He amassed tons of runs and never wavered from pressure or a loss of concentration. The kind of merciless accumulation of scores that someone like Steve Waugh would appreciate. He's no excitement machine, but you want a steady character as an opener, so the fancy-dans can welly the ball to all corners later on.

Just now, Futtocks said:

At his best, Cook was more like a less uncouth Australian than an English player. He amassed tons of runs and never wavered from pressure or a loss of concentration. The kind of merciless accumulation of scores that someone like Steve Waugh would appreciate. He's no excitement machine, but you want a steady character as an opener, so the fancy-dans can welly the ball to all corners later on.

This is true . I think it’s accentuated when the other opener , and even the three , is playing the same way . That’s been an issue . He does what he does but there needs to be a more attacking option there as well and I think ( hope ) Mr Ed is looking that way , or you end up going nowhere .Im not surprised Jason Roy has been mentioned . SL will just bowl at you if you offer nothing back

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I enjoyed watching Graeme Thorpe bat, he just made it look effortless, even when he was having off-turns.  Can't think of any other modern era cricketer I'd place above him.  Same with Robin Smith, but from a different perspective and as long as he wasn't facing a good spinner!  Then you have ###### who just intimidated opponents by being there, again he was one who looked permanently in command at the wicket even when having off-days.

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

I enjoyed watching Graeme Thorpe bat, he just made it look effortless, even when he was having off-turns.  Can't think of any other modern era cricketer I'd place above him.  Same with Robin Smith, but from a different perspective and as long as he wasn't facing a good spinner!  Then you have ###### who just intimidated opponents by being there, again he was one who looked permanently in command at the wicket even when having off-days.

Robin Smith forearms and that cutshot 

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

Hmmm, why is ###### G O O C H sweary worded?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I thought it was have I got news for you and I had to guess 

36 minutes ago, ckn said:

You should probably google it to see but not if your in work. 

32 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

You should probably google it to see but not if your in work. 

Mmmmm... lovely.

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Hmm... Graham Taint. That got through, so clearly the TRL swear filter hasn't got as far as "t" in the Profanisaurus.

Yorkshire have beaten Lancashire in the Championship at Headingley. If I’m not mistaken that means the Lanky’s are relegated, happy days👍

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

Yorkshire have beaten Lancashire in the Championship at Headingley. If I’m not mistaken that means the Lanky’s are relegated, happy days👍

Not quite. They can get to 136 - assuming a maximum win for them in their remaining match - which leapfrogs three other counties. However, they are entirely dependent on nobody else getting past that figure in their remaining games which doesn't really seem likely.

Oh well.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, ckn said:

I enjoyed watching Graeme Thorpe bat, he just made it look effortless, even when he was having off-turns.  Can't think of any other modern era cricketer I'd place above him.  

In terms of technique, Vaughan - he's the most classically perfect batsman of my lifetime. Best batsman (for England) since 1980? Trescothick.

I *most* enjoyed watching Hick (I've been a Worcs fan all my life), but then in a similar vein Mark Ramprakash spent years beating up county pace attacks with little else to show for it....