Warner, while being proactively and conveniently tearful, manages to completely avoid answering every single question put to him, even from the Austrslian media.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Who knew Warner had such a whiney voice?

He got it wrong though, he missed a couple of words. He said: “I’ll regret it as long as I live” when what he meant was “I’ll regret getting caught as long as I live”

• Like 2

More crocodile tears from the Aussies today, Warner this time and what a whiney voice he’s got!!!

They used to call us whingeing poms but there’s nothing worse than an Aussie they whine in defeat and crow in victory, they used to be square jawed types like Chips Rafferty, now they’re whiney little bitches.

No Test Match Special for the tours of the West Indies and Sri Lanka.

Talksport have grabbed the rights.

The chance for cricket on the radio to reinvent itself somewhat or a minor national tragedy?

27 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No Test Match Special for the tours of the West Indies and Sri Lanka.

Talksport have grabbed the rights.

The chance for cricket on the radio to reinvent itself somewhat or a minor national tragedy?

It has been said, by people on both sides, that the radio commentary could have been sold to both the BBC and TalkSport, as it is often done with other sporting events. There were SL matches over the last weekend where fans could access three or more commentaries, for instance.

The public could then choose which they liked best. But Test Cricket seems to be different.

What do people think of ECB plans for the 8 team city league (with Manchester replacing Lancashire for example)?

It’ll be limited overs with 100 balls per innings and a novelty 10 ball over as the last over.

I like Test cricket and Twenty20, believe One Day is a bit ‘meh’ these days, but find this latest offering a bit dubious.  

Will it take off?

A gimmick. We've already got T20 for those who like that sort of thing, why do we need yet another format?

8 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

A gimmick. We've already got T20 for those who like that sort of thing, why do we need yet another format?

How do you feel about Yorkshire competing as Leeds?

l know personally I won’t be supporting Manchester instead of Lancashire.

Then again, I guess I’m maybe not the target audience.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What do people think of ECB plans for the 8 team city league (with Manchester replacing Lancashire for example)?

It’ll be limited overs with 100 balls per innings and a novelty 10 ball over as the last over.

I like Test cricket and Twenty20, believe One Day is a bit ‘meh’ these days, but find this latest offering a bit dubious.  

Will it take off?

There have been people within the game for decades, talking about some way of breaking the hold of the traditional counties, as a system that hasn't worked for a long time. Often, the suggestion is city-based franchises. Drastic, but who knows?

I'm not quite sure about the 100-ball format, though. I'll give it a fair chance, anyway, especially if it is on FTA television.

Fielding a Yorkshire team as Leeds stands an excellent chance of alienating residents of Bradford,  Wakefield, Huddersfield, Scarborough etc.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Fielding a Yorkshire team as Leeds stands an excellent chance of alienating residents of Bradford,  Wakefield, Huddersfield, Scarborough etc.

Agree - but seems to me plenty of people from Wakefield etc. support Leeds United in soccer without any issues. Keeping Yorkshire probably makes sense, but you won't find many people inside the M25 defining themselves as being from Surrey or Middlesex, or Brummies saying they're from Staffordshire or Warwickshire rather than Birmingham.

15 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Will it take off?

I was already very dubious that a franchise T20 would work. The initial wide-eyed vision seemed to see big stadiums competing to host big clubs, completely forgetting that we're not Australia where there are spare ovals of suitable size just begging for games. So the 8 were always predictable. And so now a huge number of cricket supporters, and potential supporters, are several hours from the nearest club. Well done, you've just reduced your top tier from 18 to 8 for no benefit.

The 100 ball format is laughable. It might just have worked (note: might. I really don't think so.) if it was the 18 counties that already have supporters but we're now asking cricket fans whose attitude to the ECB is even worse than that rugby league fans have for the RFL to support GENERIC LEEDS BASED NICKNAMED FRANCHISE versus GENERIC SOUTH LONDON BASED NICKNAMED FRANCHISE in a bizarre format when then playing staff will likely be the rotating travellers who pop up in each of these leagues.

Just can't see it working.

• Like 2

Been catching the final few overs of the IPL this week after tea.

Whatever anyone might think of the action, it is difficult to argue with the crowds that we are being shown.

Wish I cared more about the teams involved or the players.

Ireland are playing their historic maiden test match against Pakistan.

Although the first day was rained off, I might take a first look at the tourists tomorrow presuming it’s on Sky.

Still got good memories of watching the great Inzamam Ul-Haq destroy our seam bowling attack at Old Trafford in 2001 in what was the finest display of batting I’ve personally seen live (admittedly most of my cricket watching has been via TV !).

Rained off , who’d  have thunk it ? I see that we have one of those pathetic non entities of a two match ‘ series ‘ which should be stopped ( three minimum ) so I wonder , yes it’s great for Ireland , if this is one we would have had ?

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Rained off , who’d  have thunk it ? I see that we have one of those pathetic non entities of a two match ‘ series ‘ which should be stopped ( three minimum ) so I wonder , yes it’s great for Ireland , if this is one we would have had ?

Probably, we’re getting tests at Lord’s and Headingley, but it’s not really enough to establish anything between the two sides.

If this Dublin test is a success than I assume it is something you are going to see more and more - limited overs games are being played in Scotland too this tour.

I’m happy for the Irish though and hopefully the Netherlands will be next to be granted test playing status. 

Well that was good . I was just settling into that interesting watch then they whip it off for some IPL jazz . Give me a slowburning test in whites and a red ball testing the  mettle and going back n forth any time 

Edited by DavidM

Pakistan 13-2 - Boyd Rankin takes Ireland's first ever wicket in Test cricket, having previously appeared for England. 

Pakistan finished 268-6 - didn’t realise there had been such a decent 7th wicket stand too.

Hopefully the tourists blast their way through this morning and so we can see some of their bowling attack later in the day.

Pakistan always produced naturally gifted bowlers , and this teams without Wahab or Yasir