Sign in to follow this  
Copa

Journalist calls rugby league “rapeball”

I’ve not read anything this appalling in a legitimate publication for a very long time.

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/new-bulldogs-director-george-kanaan-should-fit-in-just-fine-20180320-h0xq99

It's rare we delve into the scungy world of rugby league (AKA rapeball), but the internecine warfare at the top of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is just too good!”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I’ve not read anything this appalling in a legitimate publication for a very long time.

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/new-bulldogs-director-george-kanaan-should-fit-in-just-fine-20180320-h0xq99

It's rare we delve into the scungy world of rugby league (AKA rapeball), but the internecine warfare at the top of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is just too good!”

Thats a libel case if ever I have seen one. It would be a tasteless comment even if it was rooted in some kind of fact. But its baseless as well as offensive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copa said:

http://www.afr.com/xxxxxx

I would avoid clicking on it.

Were it a poster, they would be promptly banned.  I see no reason to treat this publication that is clearly desperate for clicks with any greater respect.

You can certainly tell people the publication, but remove the direct link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I would avoid clicking on it.

Were it a poster, they would be promptly banned.  I see no reason to treat this publication that is clearly desperate for clicks with any greater respect.

You can certainly tell people the publication, but remove the direct link

I’m concerned about not providing a source to the quote.

It’s outrageous. The publication isn’t a fringe publication either. It’s a serious publication here that is referred to by mainstream media at times when they discuss what’s going on.

1 minute ago, Copa said:

I’m concerned about not providing a source to the quote.

It’s outrageous. The publication isn’t a fringe publication either. It’s a serious publication here that is referred to by mainstream media at times when they discuss what’s going on.

I agree it is outrageous.

If they get anough clicks, it will encourage them.  But, a screenshot might work.

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

All good if you follow up your clicks with a comment letting them know how appalling that comment is. 

I disagree.

More comments, more clicks, all makes the article look edgy.  Cancelling subscriptions works, anything else does not.

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Is this the sort of 'journalism' Australians enjoy? Makes the S*n look classy.

It’s actually a serious well established financial news publication. This article is just so out there for them it’s bizarre. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Take a look at Joe Aston (@mrjoeaston): https://twitter.com/mrjoeaston?s=09

Release the hounds

It is not 100% accurate, but when someone inserts 'Mr' as part of their Twitter handle / online persona, it is often a red flag in the ###### stakes.

• Like 1

He writes for the Aussie version of the financial times.....by definition he's a rugby union ######.....say no more

In all seriousness he could find himself being sued to the hilt and so could the publication. Lawyers will be licking their lips at the thought that they will be asked by the people he makes allegations against to sue him and the publication.

The normal course is to take the person first and then the Company they represent.

6 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Well it's defamation

Just now, David Wild said:

The NRL must sue the arris off this low life piece of ####. 

Really?  I am not sure, though I am no lawyer.  He has just used an insulting term.

Just now, Bob8 said:

Really?  I am not sure, though I am no lawyer.  He has just used an insulting term.

Isn't that classed as an "hate" crime? 

Just now, David Wild said:

Isn't that classed as an "hate" crime? 

I very much doubt that.

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I very much doubt that.

It might be worth exploring though.  calling a fat person fatty or a bald person baldie is insulting but factual.  Referring to them as rapists when they are not is defamation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Well it's defamation

Yes it is.

Edited by Allora

In any case surely it is worthy of complaints to the relevant press commission.

• Like 1