Marwan Koukash going to Workington V Bulls game

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/sport/town/Marwan-Koukash-continues-to-pursue-interest-in-Cumbria-with-visit-to-Workington-Town-with-video-8bf4600a-d5b0-4fa7-8a0a-f56fea1bbe00-ds

Reading this news clip it seems Marwan is still continuing his interest and plan of starting and creating his own Cumbrian SL team . The article also says Workington Reds Football Club and Workington Town  Rugby League Club and the local Allerdale regional Council have also began discussions in a possible ground share . So could this mean Town could be thinking of selling Derwent Park to Koukash and his backers in order for him to rebuild a new stadium for his new Cumbrian team and with the cash raised from the sale of Derwent Park then be used to refurbish and upgrade a shared Borough Park with Town and Workington Reds ? Then Town and Whitehaven being in some sort of feeder club arrangement ? 

Any thoughts on this or other possible scenarios ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well back when he was rumoured to be taking over the Bulls he came to a few Bradford games and that in the end meant nothing. What I would take it to mean, like his supposed interest in Bradford, in Gold Coast, in Swinton, is that I will believe it when I see it which is probably never and then we begin on the next bee in Dr K's bonnet. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Would the RFL want koukash owning another super league team?? 

I guess everything’s up in the air at the moment with nobody knowing what the games future and league structure will look like.

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Well he has put his money where his mouth is for Salford's game against Catalans on Friday. No need for him to do it. He clearly loves the game, even if his ways of showing it are a bit eccentric. 

"As a bonus to the Club, Marwan will match the gate receipts taken on the day ......."

To continue to throw money at Salford after the way some fans responded when he owned it is remarkable. He is still trying to build bridges with people he offended when he first came into the sport, even Gary Hetherington;

"Much of @leedsrhinos success is down to the best administrator in RL, Gary Hetherington  . I may have not got on with him but I wish I listened to him when I first came into the sport"

I think all this suggests he is itching to get back into the game in some capacity. 

Apologies for not being up to date, but please could someone provide me more info/send a link about this proposed new stadium. 

Thanks! 

FWIW I think it's a great idea if they are based in the West Cumbrian heartlands. Yes it is not the biggest area BUT it can gain the interest of the RL-mad locals and can give people in the wider Cumbria area (inc. Barrow) a team to support and a professional dream to chase. 

26 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Apologies for not being up to date, but please could someone provide me more info/send a link about this proposed new stadium. 

Thanks! 

FWIW I think it's a great idea if they are based in the West Cumbrian heartlands. Yes it is not the biggest area BUT it can gain the interest of the RL-mad locals and can give people in the wider Cumbria area (inc. Barrow) a team to support and a professional dream to chase. 

If you check out the artworks for cas and wakeys new stadiums you’ll be up to speed pretty quick. Working to the same timescales.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

6 hours ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Thanks! 

People from barrow would never support a Cumbrian team based in West Cumbria from numerous reasons stated on other similar threads.

18 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

The article also says Workington Reds Football Club and Workington Town  Rugby League Club and the local Allerdale regional Council have also began discussions in a possible ground share. So could this mean Town could be thinking of selling Derwent Park to Koukash and his backers in order for him to rebuild a new stadium for his new Cumbrian team and with the cash raised from the sale of Derwent Park then be used to refurbish and upgrade a shared Borough Park with Town and Workington Reds ? Then Town and Whitehaven being in some sort of feeder club arrangement ?

Sounds great, in principle. Why not go the whole hog and get Workington RUFC involved? The Zebras could flog the Ellis Sports Ground (an even bigger dump than Borough Park and Derwent Park) and put more money into the new stadium pot.

10 hours ago, Manx RL said:

If you check out the artworks for cas and wakeys new stadiums you’ll be up to speed pretty quick. Working to the same timescales.

Let's hope not,I'm 50 and would like to see it in my lifetime !!

15 hours ago, Yosser said:

"As a bonus to the Club, Marwan will match the gate receipts taken on the day ......."

To continue to throw money at Salford after the way some fans responded when he owned it is remarkable. He is still trying to build bridges with people he offended when he first came into the sport, even Gary Hetherington;

"Much of @leedsrhinos success is down to the best administrator in RL, Gary Hetherington  . I may have not got on with him but I wish I listened to him when I first came into the sport"

I think all this suggests he is itching to get back into the game in some capacity. 

It' a shame he didn' stay. But I guess you can only throw away so much money.

As he admits if only he listened to a few wiser heads when he started instead of buying anything that could still run he might still be in the game running a successful club 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Well i must admit i quite like the bloke and if the Bulls were for sale again I'm sure he would be interested like he was before, even though his wife was going to be the owner but got turned down because of the Salford connection.

I don't believe he's ever been that interested in the Bulls all being told. His wife was turned down as it was the lowest bid of the four put in at the time, it wasn't ever anything to do with Salford. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

Do people think hes not involved with the Bulls in some way now

Look at all the ex Salford connections and all the academy signings at Bradford , somebody's picking up the tab

Our supposed current owners are not wealthy men , especially to buy a bankrupt RL club loosing a shed load of money each year at the other side of the world... doesn't add up

4 hours ago, kingk said:

Do people think hes not involved with the Bulls in some way now

In a word, no. 

SQL Honours

Archived