Sign in to follow this  
Davo5

Cumbrian Derby live on free sports today

Good standard of Rugby, well officiated and without any of the SL histrionics we were talking about on the “standing ovation” thread. 

• Like 2

good game , show it to Workingtons Tansey and he could learn a lot from that Brow Fullback

3 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

good game , show it to Workingtons Tansey and he could learn a lot from that Brow Fullback

He's been a very good player for a few seasons now Walker-Taylor, I don't think I have ever seen him have a bad game

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Is it me, or is this cameraman doing the crowd shots focussing only on close-ups of young ladies? 😄 

The technical term for this is the "honey shot", as pioneered by sports TV director turned cult movie auteur Andy Sidaris: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/07/andy_sidaris_the_man_who_invented_sports_television_s_honey_shot.html

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the scaffolding behind the posts is a bit too near the dead ball line?

It’s outside the perimeter rail?

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the scaffolding behind the posts is a bit too near the dead ball line?

You really need to get out more.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

You really need to get out more.

I would if it ever stopped raining  Davo. I’m starting to develop webbed feet.

Wonder what the total crowd was, including the many viewers the game attracted, people who normally would not or could not have attended in person. Without TV maybe 100 or so? With TV, a good few thousand possibly.  Game is clearly dieing !!!!

If the price to pay for televising such games is the presentation and commentary, its a price well worth paying.

10 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Enjoyed watching that, but the sound went off after about 30 seconds!

Wish mine had. There’s only so much Mick Morgan I can take

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Wonder what the total crowd was, including the many viewers the game attracted, people who normally would not or could not have attended in person. Without TV maybe 100 or so? With TV, a good few thousand possibly.  Game is clearly dieing !!!!

If the price to pay for televising such games is the presentation and commentary, its a price well worth paying.

I think any of the NCL West Cumbria derbies will attract a good crowd whether on TV or not.

A healthy local rivalry exists between The Brow ,Kells and The Mont and these games also attract a number of neutral fans,

Edited by yanto
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Not sure if I am reading you correctly, are you asking that if there had been no television cameras would the crowd be 100 or so? The crowd was typical of what you would get at any game between any of Egremont, Kells  or Wath Brow, if anything it was probably slightly down on what I expected to see there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I would if it ever stopped raining  Davo. I’m starting to develop webbed feet.

At least you’ll start fitting in better with the locals

27 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Not sure if I am reading you correctly, are you asking that if there had been no television cameras would the crowd be 100 or so? The crowd was typical of what you would get at any game between any of Egremont, Kells  or Wath Brow, if anything it was probably slightly down on what I expected to see there.

Yes, I think the Brow v Mont games last season had bigger crowds than the Town v Haven games.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Just guessing, no real idea.  What would a "normal" crowd be?  How many watched on TV, any idea?

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Just guessing, no real idea.  What would a "normal" crowd be?  How many watched on TV, any idea?

I have no idea what the TV figures are but would be interested to know. I hope they are large and growing for all the teams in the competition.

Having watched Egremont, Kells and Wath Brow regularly in the NCL I would estimate a 'normal' crowd to be 200-300 for a home match, and with all 3 teams being within 5 miles of each other, usually more than double that for the derby games when neutrals are taken into account - I've been told by people taking the money that there have been in excess of 1000 at Egremont V Wath Brow games.

Of course the above figure are not helped by the NCL regularly having all 3 teams at home (or away) on the same weekend this year, or having the 3rd team at home when there's a derby on, as this prevents people like me going to another game when their preferred team are playing away

I think the crowd was around the 450-500 mark,probably 300 down on the previous couple of seasons ,with noticeably less Kells supporters,but it was a rearranged date and live on TV so pretty good in the circumstances.

Wath Brow/Egremont games do seem to get bigger crowds and regularly get 1000 gates.