Featherstone rovers

The Lad

Where do I begin, horrible passing, poor tackling and a lack of imagination in the final third left us with no points and not a lot of positives.

Individuals did well, Rob Massam, Lee Mitchell , Richard Lepori and Declan Gregory played well but  again Gary Middlehurst with his ill-discipline and Lewis Palfrey with poor kicking let the side down massively.

With Leigh and London coming up next its difficult to see where the wins are going to come from.

1 minute ago, The Baron Mk11 said:

It was a first for me to see die hard Hornets fans leave the stadium early.

Not a good omen.It annoys me because you should at least have the respect to hang on til full time.Thats just me though.

I didn’t go today as the performances I’ve watched this year haven’t been worth £16. Even Barrow a game of 13 vs 12 for a huge part but one one reported as a huge win! 

The team really aren’t offerring anything at the minute, the defence is passive (apart from Jo who wasn’t playing today, any idea why?) and the attacking play is really slow and disjointed, I hope Massam is on good money! 

Dont get me wrong I never expected a win today or don’t in the next 2 games but the lack of excitement and desire is killing me off. 

Personally i think there’s un rest in the squad, leading to a lack of togetherness and fight.

It was always going to be tough game against a very strong Fev team which has some notable scalps to-date and seems to be a far more adventurous team under Duffy.  Also, their high finish last season has enabled them to recruit well and no doubt pay a lot more than Hornets can.  That said, and after the heroics versus Toronto, I thought our season would kick-on.  Certainly, it needed to after our dismal showing at Normanton and our next two games couldn't be tougher.  Our financial situation does not help to secure the depth of experienced players needed in this lop-sided league - it would be tough in any circumstances - and to cope when injuries and suspensions bite.  Hopefully, our upcoming disciplinary appearances will be ok!   It's definitely going to be another long season with only "Speculation" knowing for what we are playing - let's start with some more of that shown against Toronto.

I wouldn't normally comment on other clubs sites but as a Swinton fan I feel your pain.

We're both in the s**t both financially and on the playing front.

Bloody grim is what it is.

We've still got clubs to support so that's something. I'm just waiting for a rugby mad Arab sheikh to invest..

Normally i would be having a go at the coach or team after being nilled on your own ground but it is such an unlevel league how can i judge the team or coach. Featherstone where excellent but how can they afford Rideyard and Hock and the likes. There crowds are better than ours but surely not to that extent. Does anyone know what the salary cap in our division is or even if there is one?

8 minutes ago, excolt said:

Normally i would be having a go at the coach or team after being nilled on your own ground but it is such an unlevel league how can i judge the team or coach. Featherstone where excellent but how can they afford Rideyard and Hock and the likes. There crowds are better than ours but surely not to that extent. Does anyone know what the salary cap in our division is or even if there is one?

The salary cap is the same as in SL, £1.8m (I think). In terms of crowds Fev are averaging 2400 from their 5 home league games so far this season compared to 550 (from the 4 games I can easily get figures for) for Rochdale -  an extra 1850 a game is £27.5k a game or £390k a season at £15 a go, not allowing for increased programme sales etc. As well as Fev owning their own ground, meaning that they make money from bars and food outlets, they also have income streams from outside of rugby (they own a large chunk of land surrounding the ground) and they got a considerably bigger central funding wedge than Rochdale did due to finishing 7th in the Middle 8s last year - probably an extra £200-300k. So just on crowds and central funding that's potentially getting on for £700k more income. Is the distribution from central funds fair? No. And to put it into perspective, Leigh probably received an extra £750k more than Fev, including their 'parachute' payment.

Well there you have it in a nutshell Even for Fev who are light years way from Super League themselves,are light years ahead of the likes of Hornets financially and in playing strength. A bit like Dale playing the likes of Wolves,Cardiff and Aston Villa most weeks with the odd chance of a draw or sneaky win against Burton or Bolton,but no chance against the rest. Sport,like life these days,is all about the haves and the have nots,if you can`t swim,you sink sadly.

Archived