Sign in to follow this  
wackojacko

RLWC 2021 Venues

Just now, deluded pom? said:

My thoughts about Anfield too.

Yeah. The only reason they are on my list is due to the fact that thr RFL are staging England games there this year, suggesting they are part of the plan. Plus the shortage of large grounds in Yorkshire.

If I had to pick England venues for the WC itd be something like:

Wembley opener vs Tonga

Newcastle 2nd group game

Man City 3rd group game

Elland Rd quarter

Old Trafford Semi Final

Wembley Final

Id move heaven and earth to sell these out and hang everythibg off these games. This would deliver almost 400k of the 1m target.

• Like 5

That's great to see. Question - if the qualifying teams will all be known by November 2019, and the host cities announced in January 2020, why wait until 'late 2020' to start selling tickets?Or is that early enough? I think we should try to start selling straight after summer 2020 if possible. 

• Like 1

Not hopeful for Wrexham, but it would be great if the WC came back here...2013 did pretty well here and Wales I'm sure had a bigger crowd up here than they did down south...checked, just over 8k v USA at the Racecourse against 3300 at The Gnoll.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Aye, its not one ill be rushing to. 

But it is one a lot will. I know the old girl isn't the most modern stadium but we get relatively great attendances there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yeah. The only reason they are on my list is due to the fact that thr RFL are staging England games there this year, suggesting they are part of the plan. Plus the shortage of large grounds in Yorkshire.

If I had to pick England venues for the WC itd be something like:

Wembley opener vs Tonga

Newcastle 2nd group game

Man City 3rd group game

Elland Rd quarter

Old Trafford Semi Final

Wembley Final

Id move heaven and earth to sell these out and hang everythibg off these games. This would deliver almost 400k of the 1m target.

I think the Northern Powerhouse funding will ensure the final is at Old Trafford but I agree with your thinking. I would put the England games only on sale 3-4 months before anything else.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the Northern Powerhouse funding will ensure the final is at Old Trafford but I agree with your thinking. I would put the England games only on sale 3-4 months before anything else.

I'd really like to see them be imaginative with the way they sell tickets. If we know the qualifiers in 2019 we should be selling tickets in 2020.

Get them in bundles. An England package all England games including quarters semi and final (lock people in to buying tickets for the final early) same with Aus and NZ a Pacifica package with games for Samoa Tonga new Zealand and fiji. A heartland bundle for with games for England Australia France and png. A 'new blood' package with the US, lebanon and Canada/jamaica. A highloghts package with samoa v tonga, fiji v PNG and a game from england aus and nz (and let them supersize it and get a quarters semi and final) try and plan the fixtures to let them make a weekend of it. Have two or three games per weekend in close proximity. If England are at the etihad have games at Wigan and langtree park that weekend. If they are at elland road have games at headingley and valley parade. If they are buying one sell them two. If they'e buying two sell them a package. If they are buying a package sell them a bigger one.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'd really like to see them be imaginative with the way they sell tickets. If we know the qualifiers in 2019 we should be selling tickets in 2020.

Get them in bundles. An England package all England games including quarters semi and final (lock people in to buying tickets for the final early) same with Aus and NZ a Pacifica package with games for Samoa Tonga new Zealand and fiji. A heartland bundle for with games for England Australia France and png. A 'new blood' package with the US, lebanon and Canada/jamaica. A highloghts package with samoa v tonga, fiji v PNG and a game from england aus and nz (and let them supersize it and get a quarters semi and final) try and plan the fixtures to let them make a weekend of it. Have two or three games per weekend in close proximity. If England are at the etihad have games at Wigan and langtree park that weekend. If they are at elland road have games at headingley and valley parade. If they are buying one sell them two. If they'e buying two sell them a package. If they are buying a package sell them a bigger one.

Good suggestions. What about those folk who want to pay on the day? ;)

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Good suggestions. What about those folk who want to pay on the day? ;)

They gotta book now, and book for their friends too to avoid missing out.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

They gotta book now, and book for their friends too to avoid missing out.

I was being sarcastic but it is the mindset we are up against. We have to make it must see and not slip into old habits of "they will just turn up". New, or occasional, ticket buying fans will make or break 2021.

46 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But it is one a lot will. I know the old girl isn't the most modern stadium but we get relatively great attendances there. 

Yeah, I think it is a relatively safe bet, in my list I have it as the England QF as the QF's are the hardest sell. Heartland city with a great following is required to fill that one.

I think with all of these grounds, where you sit can vastly alter the experience, I have only been to ER a couple of times and have had crammed in legs and a restricted view. It was miserable. Similar with Anfield. And I wasn't impressed with Olympic Stadium, but in other areas I would probably have had a good experience and not thought any more about it. I think this is one of the reasons why the RFL need to open up whole grounds to allow people to choose their preference.

46 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yeah, I'd love us not to have the final at Old Trafford, maybe if we had the opener there that would work, although that may affect the Grand Final.

I think we need some variety here, just doing the same again obviously won't be the case as they have set challenging targets, but I hope they don't go for the double header semis at Wembley and the Final at OT again.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I'd love us not to have the final at Old Trafford, maybe if we had the opener there that would work, although that may affect the Grand Final.

I think we need some variety here, just doing the same again obviously won't be the case as they have set challenging targets, but I hope they don't go for the double header semis at Wembley and the Final at OT again.

Agree. I was freezing my nads off at Wembley by half time of the second game. Still irks me that if you were going to do one why on earth do you play the main event as the curtain raiser? We have some brain farts sometimes and we don't value the product enough. Half an hours quality pre match can create a better event than a double header sometimes.

• Like 1

One of the challenges I think we may face is the fact that we will be staging 31 games across 14 grounds.

In 2013 we had 28 games over 18 grounds. Even with that we had two double headers (opener and semi final). 

That means we will get a fair bit of repetition, and I remember reading Sally Bolton saying that they spread themselves across too many grounds, but I think it may be a challenge for us here. That said the RUWC has 48 games and they have generally used 12/13 grounds for the last few tournaments.

I just think that based on the size of grounds we will be using (Anfield, Wembley, Newcastle, Elland Road, Old Trafford, Olympic Stadium, Coventry etc) that it will be a challenge to sell them out more than once, which is what we are going to have to do.

But, we need to be ambitious, and this needs to be a game-changer!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I think it is a relatively safe bet, in my list I have it as the England QF as the QF's are the hardest sell. Heartland city with a great following is required to fill that one.

I think with all of these grounds, where you sit can vastly alter the experience, I have only been to ER a couple of times and have had crammed in legs and a restricted view. It was miserable. Similar with Anfield. And I wasn't impressed with Olympic Stadium, but in other areas I would probably have had a good experience and not thought any more about it. I think this is one of the reasons why the RFL need to open up whole grounds to allow people to choose their preference.

I'm 6'3 and not a skinny man. As a former season ticket holder at elland road I know the pain. I don't think I could sit through a double header there even if I was on a date with Margot Robbie.

But it will sell. To the point I'd think possibly not giving Leeds and England game but giving it NZs opener, an Australia game and (I insist this happens under whatever structure the WC takes, if I don't get Siva tau v sipi tau I'm kicking off more than scubby and his mug) the Samoa v Tonga game. Getting 40k for these games would really put us on our way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm 6'3 and not a skinny man. As a former season ticket holder at elland road I know the pain. I don't think I could sit through a double header there even if I was on a date with Margot Robbie.

But it will sell. To the point I'd think possibly not giving Leeds and England game but giving it NZs opener, an Australia game and (I insist this happens under whatever structure the WC takes, if I don't get Siva tau v sipi tau I'm kicking off more than scubby and his mug) the Samoa v Tonga game. Getting 40k for these games would really put us on our way.

I think there are three key things that give me optimism for 2021 and that it could be a breakthrough tournament.

1 - The 2013 tournament was a great success, with many grounds sold out, and people knowing they need to buy tickets in advance

2 - The 2017 development of Tonga and Samoa and their war dances and atmosphere. I'd go for an England v Tonga rematch for the opener tbh at Wembley.

3 - England's performance in the World Cup Final. Nearly there - next time.

There are far more reasons, but the above things really make me positive about the potential for this tournament.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think there are three key things that give me optimism for 2021 and that it could be a breakthrough tournament.

1 - The 2013 tournament was a great success, with many grounds sold out, and people knowing they need to buy tickets in advance

2 - The 2017 development of Tonga and Samoa and their war dances and atmosphere. I'd go for an England v Tonga rematch for the opener tbh at Wembley.

3 - England's performance in the World Cup Final. Nearly there - next time.

4 - Actual merchandising you can buy :mellow:

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:25 AM, Shaggy said:

dI recently stopped at a pub in Middlesbrough where the landlord and his wife were Leeds Rhinos fans. So... 2?

My father came from Middlesbrough ,he used to say " they don't speak properly round here " and he was a typical man from that area at that time ,he only liked Association football 

Edited by fieldofclothofgold

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

A lot of good ideas there, I especially like the one I've highlighted - me and a mate had a great weekend in 2013 doing all 4 quarter finals which was made possible by their location. I'd really be up for doing a Fri/Sat/Sun game during the group and Q/F stages

If it's true that they are going to have only 14 venues then do we need Leeds AND Huddersfield? Or Wigan AND St Helens (Or Warrington for that matter). Controversial I know - but if we are looking to grow the game why have two stadiums within a short drive that will, presumably, be fishing in the same pool of people?

Why not one venue in West Yorkshire, one venue in 'the bit between Manchester and Liverpool that used to be called Lancashire, but who knows what the hell its called nowadays'?

That would free up places like Coventry, North Wales, Newcastle, possibly Bristol, where you could reasonably expect good attendances AND there can be a proper legacy in terms of growing the game due to already pre-existing local teams.

By the same token, I would disqualify any area that doesn't include legacy in its bid. So if Teeside wants to bid, tell them that they have to commit, say, £50K for each of the next five years into funding a development officer and to help subsidise a properly worked out and costed plan to base a new League 1 team in that area.

5 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Not hopeful for Wrexham, but it would be great if the WC came back here...2013 did pretty well here and Wales I'm sure had a bigger crowd up here than they did down south...checked, just over 8k v USA at the Racecourse against 3300 at The Gnoll.

To be fair, the game at The Gnoll was at the end of a disastrous campaign for Wales, in fact we were already out of the competition. If we had won the games against Italy and USA, then I'm sure the Gnoll would have sold out for the game against the Cook Islands. Also, the Racecourse would have comfortably sold out for Wales v Australia in the quarter final, but it wasn't to be.

With the emphasis on large crowds (and large grounds) for 2021, I just don't see the Wrexham bid being viable this time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

If it's true that they are going to have only 14 venues then do we need Leeds AND Huddersfield? Or Wigan AND St Helens (Or Warrington for that matter). Controversial I know - but if we are looking to grow the game why have two stadiums within a short drive that will, presumably, be fishing in the same pool of people?

Why not one venue in West Yorkshire, one venue in 'the bit between Manchester and Liverpool that used to be called Lancashire, but who knows what the hell its called nowadays'?

That would free up places like Coventry, North Wales, Newcastle, possibly Bristol, where you could reasonably expect good attendances AND there can be a proper legacy in terms of growing the game due to already pre-existing local teams.

By the same token, I would disqualify any area that doesn't include legacy in its bid. So if Teeside wants to bid, tell them that they have to commit, say, £50K for each of the next five years into funding a development officer and to help subsidise a properly worked out and costed plan to base a new League 1 team in that area.

Try coming up with a list of 14 grounds that you would use, and then start to trim the likes of Wigan/Saints/Wire or Leeds/Hudds - it gets difficult quite quickly.

In reality, we need to play to our strengths and stage games where we will get plenty of support, but 4 or 5 of the grounds I would expect outside of the normal venues, but the majority I expect will be in Northern towns and cities. And that shouldn't be a problem, as long as we stage some major games in London, Newcastle, Coventry, Sheffield etc.

I'd like to see RL have a decent stab at Birmingham as an expansion area. It's hardly a hotbed for RU and more than big enough to support an RL fanbase even with two football teams in the city. Maybe it being a RLWC2021 host city could drive that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I thought Anfield was great

It's a cramped dump with a small pitch surrounded by a bigger dump with ###### public transport.

• Like 3