Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Bradford Bulls v Leeds Rhinos

MEDIA RELEASE FROM THE BULLS:

On Sunday, April 15th the 2017 Women’s Super League and Challenge Cup winners Bradford Bulls Women will open their 2018 Women's Super League Campaign as they host Leeds Rhinos Women at Odsal Stadium in a 3.45pm kick-off.

In a world first, Bradford Bulls Women will headline the afternoon of Rugby League with the curtain raiser being the Betfred League 1 clash between Bradford Bulls first team and Coventry Bears - kicking off at 2pm.

Containing a number of internationals, our Women are the most successful club Rugby League team in the world. Not only do they hold the Challenge Cup and the Super League champions titles, they were recently named Bradford’s "sports team of the year" in the prestigious Bradford Sports Awards 2018 beating historically strong contenders Bradford City FC amongst others.

Whilst other sports and competition organisers have stalled when it comes to prioritising women’s participation, fixture scheduling and venue allocation based on performance and merit, Bradford Bulls Chairman Andrew Chalmers said it was a simple decision to give the Women's team headline status for the fixture at the famous Odsal Stadium.

“It's the Super League season opener for our Bradford Bulls Women against Leeds Rhinos, two of Rugby Leagues biggest brands. Our women are the defending Champions of the league and Challenge Cup Holders, they are Bradford’s leading sporting team.

“Gender doesn't come into it. We'll be fielding a number of international and locally developed rugby league players when they take the field on the 15th and it's only fitting that they are allocated the feature game,” said Chalmers.

“Our men's team will provide a guard of honour after their match against Coventry Bears and the entire club and fan base will be behind the Women as they seek to get off to a winning start against our traditional rivals, Leeds Rhinos.”

Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington was equally as supportive and excited about the prospect of two fierce rivals meeting again.

“It’s so good to be resurrecting the old Bulls v Rhinos rivalry at Odsal and I expect it to be a fiercely contested affair. I am looking forward to attending and being part of this feature Women’s RL Super League game, which in years to come will take its place in the history of Rugby League”

Hundreds of local women’s Rugby League players of all ages will be guests of the club for this historic fixture and will be taking part in a lap of honour and guard of honour to mark the opening of the Bulls Women’s season.

Sponsorship and naming rights opportunities are available for the team and it is hoped like-minded companies who appreciate Bradford Bulls approach of "actions not words" in demonstrating equality in the sport, will get involved with the club as it launches in their bid to retain both titles and consolidate Bradford Bulls Women's status as the leading Rugby League Team in the world.

• Like 2

This match is live on the Proper Sport FaceBook stream from 3:45pm today. While I no longer have a FaceBook account, their video app still works fine on my Amazon Fire TV Stick, as I am watching the Bradford v Coventry men's game right now.

Edited by Futtocks