Toronto v Swinton - Relocated

The Wolfpacks game on 5th May against Swinton unsurprisingly moved to a new venue - Markham an hours drive from Toronto apparently

"Our Betfred Championship Round 13 game against Swinton Lions on Saturday 5th May will now take place at Fletcher’s Fields in Markham."

More here - https://www.torontowolfpack.com/2018/04/09/toronto-wolfpack-vs-swinton-lions-relocated-fletchers-fields-markham/

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new venue is about a 45 minute drive from Lamport Stadium. Also note this is a lot closer to the big suburbs of Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Scarborough and of course Markham itself.

Not sure many of the fans who come from downtown will make it up, as public transportation isn't great up there. This is will be appealing for suburban fans who drive in, since traffic and parking will be much easier to deal with.

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Fletcher's Fields?  For pro sport?  ROFLMAO!!!!!

Just googled it. Hmmmmm looks like a high school sports field out of the movie Grease... Open Park with old skool American blechers. Expect Oliver Newton-John to be wooed by John Travolta. Doesn't look the best venue to be hosting championship Footy but at least they are on Canadian soil. 

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Fletcher's Fields?  For pro sport?  ROFLMAO!!!!!

Canada has held international rugby league matches there before.

29 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

3,200 capacity apparently. The Wolfpack could reach out and win over some new fans.

Easily will be a sell out.

Just now, Sick39ed said:

Canada has held international rugby league matches there before.

Easily will be a sell out.

No doubt. I was just wondering if these fans attending in markham would be fans that normally travel into downtown Toronto.

28 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

No doubt. I was just wondering if these fans attending in markham would be fans that normally travel into downtown Toronto.

Those existing fans who have been waiting a long time for their first fix of 2018 will probably make up the majority, if the capacity's only 3,200.

No word yet about the vital matter of pitch markings, though. :wink: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, yanto said:

Just googled it. Hmmmmm looks like a high school sports field out of the movie Grease... Open Park with old skool American blechers. Expect Oliver Newton-John to be wooed by John Travolta. Doesn't look the best venue to be hosting championship Footy but at least they are on Canadian soil. 

On the plus side though, unlike places like Batley the field will at least be level even if the venue is substandard in every other respect.

42 minutes ago, yanto said:

Is it any worse than Sheffield’s ground?

20 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

On the plus side though, unlike places like Batley the field will at least be level even if the venue is substandard in every other respect.

What’s the field been level got to do with anything? 

Batley’s field has been like that for 135 years... 

2 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Plenty.

Over here there is no such thing as a sloped playing field, they are completely unheard of.  Every field in the country from those in a neighbourhood park to the biggest and shiniest of stadiums has a level field.  Why on earth has Batley put up with a substandard field for 135 years and never fixed it???

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Plenty.

Over here there is no such thing as a sloped playing field, they are completely unheard of.  Every field in the country from those in a neighbourhood park to the biggest and shiniest of stadiums has a level field.  Why on earth has Batley put up with a substandard field for 135 years and never fixed it???

Because they are used to it and it gives them an advantage? And there are no rules against it. Its a part of RL history now. Everyone knows about the slope.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Plenty.

You’ve never had a good look at Lamport then. Far from level.

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

Because they are used to it and it gives them an advantage? And there are no rules against it. Its a part of RL history now. Everyone knows about the slope.

Yeah maybe back in the 'good old days' this was acceptable - it's pretty terrible that a pro sports team has a field like that in the modern game. And the fact you acknowledge that gives them an advantage is even worse. Reality is they probably haven't fixed it because it would cost a fair bit and nobody is making them - I don't think we should look at with some kind of nostalgic quality though. 

23 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah maybe back in the 'good old days' this was acceptable - it's pretty terrible that a pro sports team has a field like that in the modern game. And the fact you acknowledge that gives them an advantage is even worse. Reality is they probably haven't fixed it because it would cost a fair bit and nobody is making them - I don't think we should look at with some kind of nostalgic quality though. 

I dont see the problem. Some teams have small pitches, some have big, some play in places where the wind tends to blow harder, some don't even play on grass. Why is a slope such a big deal?

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

We find it amusing that a field with that large a slope is considered up to standards.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Plenty.

Presumably you believe that London should get their pitch 'fixed' too?

13 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

We find it amusing that a field with that large a slope is considered up to standards.

Well it is and will be hopefully for another 135 years... 

Because if it one day isn’t then the game will lose its identity same with Featherstone and Hunslet and Widnes and London 

who for me have something in common with Batley there pitches ain’t up to the Toronto way of life.. we’v seen plenty of teams come and go to our English grounds it’s getting boring with all this moaning I know folk who spend a lot of time at 3 of them grounds making sure their up stratch every weekend so I can get entertainment when I go to Hunslet Featherstone and Batley. 

The main field at Fletchers is good and has hosted internationals before...it started off as a hay field but over the years the local clubs made proper improvements....it is a top notch field although I haven't been there in awhile....no problems here.

I have been involved in the design of new rugby pitches in the past.  No pitch should be designed as 'flat' since this is not standard. True elevations at the end zones should be the same  but the middle of the pitch is surveyed higher and there should be a slight slope to the sidelines ( it must be graded accordingly).  This grade allows for moisture runoff.  A new pitch is never flat, or it has been surveyed/graded incorrectly.

I enjoyed watching the game and pitch at Batley...I think it is an interesting part of rugby history and should be preserved....easily fixed though.

4 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

3,200 capacity apparently. The Wolfpack could reach out and win over some new fans.

Should be easy for Man of Kent to spot the empty seats then :)

Honestly don't know what some peoples issue is with Batley's pitch - it's the same for both sides, deal with it. Just another variable to contend with

Archived