MotoGP 2018

After the usual, passable first round race, the MotoGP circus moved to Argentina... and Marc Marquez went feral! A complete brainfart on the starting grid was followed by a penalty for that, plus another for a reckless assault on Valentino Rossi (the two have a history), not to mention an unpunished ramming incident on Pol Espargaro.

Zarco bumped Pedrosa off his bike and onto his head too, and the mixed conditions made for some unusual finishing positions. Some great clean racing also happened, if you like that sort of thing...

Extensive highlights will shortly be available on Channel 5's catch-up service.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, henage said:

Watched the highlights , enjoyed it ,great action .

Marquez went slightly overboard with a few moves .

Good to see Suzuki racing at the front end of the grid .

I'd like a little more time devoted to the Moto2 and Moto3 races but, otherwise, the C5 highlights package is very good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Bastianini crashes right in front of Kornfeil, who goes full 'Dukes of Hazzard' to stay on and finish 6th.

DdoXNkRUwAAijhw.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 months later...

For those who found things to moan about at Wembley yesterday, spare a thought for the 90,000-odd MotoGP fans at Silverstone today. They paid the rip-off prices, stood in the rain for 5 hours or more, then got told that the racing was cancelled, due to the recently relaid track being unable to drain away rain.

Back to Donington Park next year, please!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 8:22 PM, Futtocks said:

For those who found things to moan about at Wembley yesterday, spare a thought for the 90,000-odd MotoGP fans at Silverstone today. They paid the rip-off prices, stood in the rain for 5 hours or more, then got told that the racing was cancelled, due to the recently relaid track being unable to drain away rain.

Back to Donington Park next year, please!

Honestly, I don't know how Silverstone survives. It's not great as a spectator because you're most likely miles away from the track due to the huge run off areas. It's the most expensive race on the F1 calendar outside of Monaco. The weather is usually ######. It's no surprise most people who are into motorsport tend to go somewhere else. You can drive/fly to Spa, spend the weekend in beautiful surroundings, be close to the track and for less than a weekend ticket to Silverstone.

6 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Honestly, I don't know how Silverstone survives. It's not great as a spectator because you're most likely miles away from the track due to the huge run off areas. It's the most expensive race on the F1 calendar outside of Monaco. The weather is usually ######. It's no surprise most people who are into motorsport tend to go somewhere else. You can drive/fly to Spa, spend the weekend in beautiful surroundings, be close to the track and for less than a weekend ticket to Silverstone.

Not just Spa either; Assen always gets a big British attendance, and that's another great track.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silverstone has to be one of the coldest places to watch Motorsport I can think of, no matter what time of the year I've been there's always a freezing wind blowing across the place. Phillip Island looks like it could be pretty cold too, I would love to be able to go and find out though.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Silverstone has to be one of the coldest places to watch Motorsport I can think of, no matter what time of the year I've been there's always a freezing wind blowing across the place. Phillip Island looks like it could be pretty cold too, I would love to be able to go and find out though.

Phillip Island is one of my favourite circuits (as a TV viewer at least). You always seem to get a really good race there.

Mind you, I remember Colin Edwards being a victim of the local seagulls. Smashed his fairing and put him right off his game.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember seeing a V8 supercars race on TV there where a car shot off the track at the scarily fast first corner, across the wet grass, down the earth bank and backwards across the track at the section called Siberia into the tyre wall. How he didn't contact with the rest of the field was incredible. I think they have increased the gravel trap in that area since thankfully!

I've not been to many granted but Brands Hatch for me is the best circuit I've been to. 

Silverstone is a great track to drive on though. Although it's largely irrelevant at F1 level because the levels of downforce mean most of it is flat out these days.

I always prefer a track with some elevation changes like Phillip Island, Aregon etc in this country my favourite is Oulton Park especially before the chicane's at the bottom of Clay Hill. To see and hear the Ducatis blasting up there is a fond memory. On a much sadder note I saw a young lad killed there  just before the  bridge in a formula Ford race about 20 years ago, I think it was 3 cars that collided and one ran up his rear wheel and hit his head, they extracted him and took him away in the medical helicopter but I think that he died instantly to gauge from the actions of the Marshalls & Medic's.Very sad.

5 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I always prefer a track with some elevation changes 

Right with you there. Brands Hatch is great when they use the full circuit. The Indy circuit's too short for my liking. Knockhill has good points, but is again too short. You don't get a big enough variety of corners for different overtaking strategies.

Laguna Seca is maybe not a great track overall, but the Corkscrew makes up for any other failings. Watkins Glen is a track that's not so well-known outside the USA any more, but I've seen some old Can-Am footage from there and it looked great.

Most boring track in history? My vote would go to AVUS, but it was made like that for more than just racing. And it did have banked corners like Brooklands, which is a bit cool at least.

avus_plan.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Right with you there. Brands Hatch is great when they use the full circuit. The Indy circuit's too short for my liking. Knockhill has good points, but is again too short. You don't get a big enough variety of corners for different overtaking strategies.

Laguna Seca is maybe not a great track overall, but the Corkscrew makes up for any other failings. Watkins Glen is a track that's not so well-known outside the USA any more, but I've seen some old Can-Am footage from there and it looked great.

Most boring track in history? My vote would go to AVUS, but it was made like that for more than just racing. And it did have banked corners like Brooklands, which is a bit cool at least.

I

I remember seeing the WTC & German touring cars from there on tv, two sprints and carnage at the ends

• 2 weeks later...

Reports in the Spanish media that Danny Kent's team have given him the elbow for the rest of the season, surprised that John McFee is lined up with another team for next season, another serial underachiever, makes you wonder what pull BT have with Dorna to ensure a handful of Brits are involved.

Archived