Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

Recommended Posts

It’s been almost a year since the RFL officially announced a Lions tour for 2019.

Is it actually happening? And if so shouldn’t they be getting a bloody move on and announce fixtures and dates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s been almost a year since the RFL officially announced a Lions tour for 2019.

Is it actually happening? And if so shouldn’t they be getting a bloody move on and announce fixtures and dates?

Yeah you'd think fixtures and all that would have been announced by now but tbh I'm not surprised, it's just what we've all come to expect.

Any other sport would have released fixtures and new GB kit and really shouting about the return of Great Britain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Yeah you'd think fixtures and all that would have been announced by now but tbh I'm not surprised, it's just what we've all come to expect.

Any other sport would have released fixtures and new GB kit and really shouting about the return of Great Britain

Mate the Aussies haven't even confirmed that they want to play GB. It could well turn into farce with a single test against Australia and NZ and a host of pointless regional games. I see no desire from Australia to host an Ashes series. If that is what people are expecting they will probably be disappointed.

It was a pipe dream from a deluded former CEO who has now bailed. Who is now enthused enough to drive this through because all I hear is tumbleweed?

Australia couldn't even promote a World Cup final FFS. They will have even less enthusiasm for a half arsed recreation of 1992.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even better than that, the Ashes tour will be kicked off with a nines world cup when the professional nations havent played nines for generations.

We are a year out from an ashes tour of indeterminate length, at undetermined locations, kicked off by an world cup for a format that is only played professionally once a year, has no qualifying structure, to be contested by nations who will be arbitrarily chosen at an undetermined time to be played at a yet undecided location.

 

Edited by scotchy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the ARL commission are very poor at promoting International Rugby League. The see it as a treat to SOO. The jewel in the crown for Australian Rugby League as far as they are concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were plenty of doubts around bringing GB back anyway, but if the RFL is going down this route, they really did need to do it well. One of the things about the old tours was that they were set in stone, so tour organisers were making their plans well in advance.

Things like England or GB Down Under and in America could be amazing trips for people and could really get people buying into the international scene more, but when the RFL make it so easy to label it a farce I just don't see this growing the game at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Scubby said:

Mate the Aussies haven't even confirmed that they want to play GB. It could well turn into farce with a single test against Australia and NZ and a host of pointless regional games. I see no desire from Australia to host an Ashes series. If that is what people are expecting they will probably be disappointed.

It was a pipe dream from a deluded former CEO who has now bailed. Who is now enthused enough to drive this through because all I hear is tumbleweed?

Australia couldn't even promote a World Cup final FFS. They will have even less enthusiasm for a half arsed recreation of 1992.

You’d have hoped they’d sorted all that out and got on the same page with them before they announced all this !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RFL, NZ and the NRL have the opportunity to make some serious cash in 2019 if they actually see what is going on in front of their eyes and seize the moment.

It is right there, the opportunity for an unbelievable 4 or 6 Nations tournament in 2019 with Eng, NZ, Aus, Tonga and possibly a couple from PNG and Samoa/Fiji.

  • Aus v Eng in Brisbane
  • NZ v Tonga in Auckland
  • Aus v NZ in Melbourne
  • England v Tonga in Hamilton
  • Aus v Tonga in Auckland
  • NZ v England in Wellington
  • Final at Eden Park/Brisbane

If you go to 6 you would get 2 pools of 3 and semi-finals. That allows perhaps a Tonga v Samoa in Auckland/Hamilton too or a test in Port Morseby. Hard cash to be made and a massive boost for the International game in Australasia. 

Great Britain tour is basically bring back "The Generation Game" - the reality actually is pretty ####!

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be very meh about a Lions tour next year. Aus Media and community here wouldn't see the point after England couldn't beat Australia in their two attempts in the World Cup.

If it falls through, there reeeeally should be a 4 Nations next year with Tonga as Scubby has said above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree that the tour is a bit meh, i think done correctly it code be very big for the game. It needs mid-week teams, it needs games against the 2nd tier nations and needs to go places that the game rarely goes.

The Aussies are largely ambivalent but whilst thats a hurdle its also an opportunity. Starting off the tour with games in Suva and Port Moresby will guarantee that games start off with sold out notices and masses of colour and excitement, go out to the bush and play the indigenous all-stars, by the time we get to playing Australia there will be momentum already created, in between we have can have games v Samoa and Lebanon and coming back a sea of red v Tonga to look forward to and another against NZ.  Set it as a real challenge, 40 men v the Southern Hemisphere. The sold out notices for the 2nd tier nations will help push the Australian games and i think really push the game.

However if we are just doing a three match ashes series it should be a 4nations instead.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I disagree that the tour is a bit meh, i think done correctly it code be very big for the game. It needs mid-week teams, it needs games against the 2nd tier nations and needs to go places that the game rarely goes.

The Aussies are largely ambivalent but whilst thats a hurdle its also an opportunity. Starting off the tour with games in Suva and Port Moresby will guarantee that games start off with sold out notices and masses of colour and excitement, go out to the bush and play the indigenous all-stars, by the time we get to playing Australia there will be momentum already created, in between we have can have games v Samoa and Lebanon and coming back a sea of red v Tonga to look forward to and another against NZ.  Set it as a real challenge, 40 men v the Southern Hemisphere. The sold out notices for the 2nd tier nations will help push the Australian games and i think really push the game.

However if we are just doing a three match ashes series it should be a 4nations instead.

If it was being done properly mate the itinerary would have been locked in months ago. There would be a dedicated "Lions" site and app and everyone would be excited about the new kit launch with some of the former greats. What we are getting is tumbleweed on both sides of the world.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If it was being done properly mate the itinerary would have been locked in months ago. There would be a dedicated "Lions" site and app and everyone would be excited about the new kit launch with some of the former greats. What we are getting is tumbleweed on both sides of the world.

We SHOULD see an itinerary and website and merchandising, but it would be completely out of character for the game to be that advanced in its planning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scotchy1 said:

We SHOULD see an itinerary and website and merchandising, but it would be completely out of character for the game to be that advanced in its planning.

Don't get me bloody started on the merchandising. I still have a 2006 GB Key ring - that's how bad things are.

Currently, England RL doesn't even have a shop or a single item for sale centrally

http://www.rugby-league.com/england/shop 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Not even a mug?

b#gger all mate! How has it come to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ireland don't want too be apart of it...they recognize it's gonna impact their world cup qualifications...Wales & Scotland are still in the back pocket of the RFL despite the fact the RFL don't actually put their hand in their back pocket to help Wales & Scotland...it's a fxxking mess...just like I said it would be years ago...!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crikey this has all got a bit depressing.  There I was looking forward to it, the old fool that I am...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is not to say that I disagree with the general consensus here, by the way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Which is not to say that I disagree with the general consensus here, by the way.

 

I have said on previous threads, do it right and it could actually be something to look forward to. That was probably 5-6 months ago and sweet FA has been done. No one even knows who they will play let alone all the other stuff highlighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way anything gets announced until well after the NZ series.

And no chance getting a shirt until probably two weeks after the tour.

Not sure what is happening with the Hummel England shirt. Summer is approaching, which is the time we should be selling the apparel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, Scubby said:

The RFL, NZ and the NRL have the opportunity to make some serious cash in 2019 if they actually see what is going on in front of their eyes and seize the moment.

It is right there, the opportunity for an unbelievable 4 or 6 Nations tournament in 2019 with Eng, NZ, Aus, Tonga and possibly a couple from PNG and Samoa/Fiji.

  • Aus v Eng in Brisbane
  • NZ v Tonga in Auckland
  • Aus v NZ in Melbourne
  • England v Tonga in Hamilton
  • Aus v Tonga in Auckland
  • NZ v England in Wellington
  • Final at Eden Park/Brisbane

If you go to 6 you would get 2 pools of 3 and semi-finals. That allows perhaps a Tonga v Samoa in Auckland/Hamilton too or a test in Port Morseby. Hard cash to be made and a massive boost for the International game in Australasia. 

Great Britain tour is basically bring back "The Generation Game" - the reality actually is pretty ####!

Id go to this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be a sad indication of the times that the status of GB tours is readily consigned to the dustbin by correspondents (is that the right term here?) - us older types will remember the excitement of Aussie tours and four big memories overall - the ‘86 test and Lydon’s try at the Stretford End; Connolly’s amazing pull back of Bradley Clyde at Wembley, Mike Gregory’s Melbourne try and Moz’s 12 second sending off - but we were competitive and could still be - and remember the GB element would help the other nations (Danny Brough a year or two ago should have been playing for “England” but would have been a GB star). It is Lindsay’s legacy that the Ashes went into the dustbin of history but if there was a will it could be resurrected- but I fully agree the inept way the RL is handling such a missed opportunity. Still we can enjoy our memories and maybe, just maybe, the oz are running scared - if England can only just lose 6-0 in the WCF what would GB do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

It must be a sad indication of the times that the status of GB tours is readily consigned to the dustbin by correspondents (is that the right term here?) - us older types will remember the excitement of Aussie tours and four big memories overall - the ‘86 test and Lydon’s try at the Stretford End; Connolly’s amazing pull back of Bradley Clyde at Wembley, Mike Gregory’s Melbourne try and Moz’s 12 second sending off - but we were competitive and could still be - and remember the GB element would help the other nations (Danny Brough a year or two ago should have been playing for “England” but would have been a GB star). It is Lindsay’s legacy that the Ashes went into the dustbin of history but if there was a will it could be resurrected- but I fully agree the inept way the RL is handling such a missed opportunity. Still we can enjoy our memories and maybe, just maybe, the oz are running scared - if England can only just lose 6-0 in the WCF what would GB do?

I'm not convinced your memory is that great, with respect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday