Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

20 Apr: SL: Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Castleford Tigers
    • Draw

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2018 at 06:45 PM

Wigan are billing this one as The Grudge Match.

4 hours ago, Padge said:

I've had a hard day and the reasoning for this escapes me?

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I've had a hard day and the reasoning for this escapes me?

I think it refers to the Wane, Powell spat, but its a season too late.

This will be a tough one for Cas.

Heading over more in hope than expectation.

Not sure what the grudge is. Maybe Wigan need extra motivation.😳😳

44 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

Not sure what the grudge is. Maybe Wigan need extra motivation.😳😳

Its nothing to do with team motivation. 

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Think Cas might just nick this one +6

Wigan to win by a dozen. We are very resilient and have a settled team, are at home and feel acutely the embarrassment of how our season ended last year. While Cas are good, they are not as good as last year. 

• Confused 1

Nice choice for a TV game for the neutral.  With the dry hot weather persisting we should see a good example of what Summer Rugby is all about.

Cas win I think.

11 hours ago, Padge said:

I think it refers to the Wane, Powell spat, but its a season too late.

Thanks, although I'm still none the wiser. :huh:

Looking forward to watching this game, think the Pies will just about prevail.

The Goons 18 Classy Cas 16.

22 hours ago, Padge said:

Its nothing to do with team motivation. 

It was slightly tongue in cheek Padge.😀 I agree though Wigan will be well motivated for this.

Unfortunately, Wigan by 12.

As a neutral I'm looking forward to this one. Wigan are a different proposition this year & it will be a tough test for Cas. Cas are the better team but I can't help thinking that Wigan will pinch a close one.

On 19/04/2018 at 8:15 AM, Old Frightful said:

Thanks, although I'm still none the wiser. :huh:

Wane still smarting over the 'none text' from the dastardly Mr Powell probably.

1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

the dastardly Mr Powell

I've always wondered why some people thought of him as a bit of a dick.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Wane still smarting over the 'none text' from the dastardly Mr Powell probably.

There have been other issues like Chase’s hilarious picture of Manfredi’s probable career ending tackle, inability to agree on dates for games, team pictures taken in front of us when Cas have won (though who can blame them, we are legends, it is an honour.). I have also heard that fans and players take exception to Gale’s antics in victory. Not sure they amount to much, but there you go. Might sell some tickets though, so it’s all good. 

Moving further back, my saintly gran hated them for Tyrer’s broken jaw at Wembley. From the other side, I cannot imagine that the breach of the spirit of the cap in one of Cas’ relegation years endeared us to them.

28 minutes ago, Eleftherios said:

Wigan by 6 refs, sorry points.

Bringing us to the referee, I always go on the rugby-league.com site every Tuesday to have a look at the refereeing appointments for the weekend. It quite clearly said that the referee for tonights game was Chris Kendall and Robert Hicks for the York - Catalans game. Now as if by magic they have swapped around, Hicks at Wigan and Kendall at York. Not saying there is anything untoward or anything, but I would be interested if anyone would know any reason they might swap them around at such short notice.

I mean would Chris Kendall be going on a mates stag do tonight or something. :girlblum: Seriously though it would be interesting to know why such a sudden swapping of their games.

14 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There have been other issues like Chase’s hilarious picture of Manfredi’s probable career ending tackle, inability to agree on dates for games, team pictures taken in front of us when Cas have won (though who can blame them, we are legends, it is an honour.). I have also heard that fans and players take exception to Gale’s antics in victory. Not sure they amount to much, but there you go. Might sell some tickets though, so it’s all good. 

Moving further back, my saintly gran hated them for Tyrer’s broken jaw at Wembley. From the other side, I cannot imagine that the breach of the spirit of the cap in one of Cas’ relegation years endeared us to them.

Yeah I'm fully aware of the history.  Although, the recent escalation of the rivalry started with Luke Dorns last minute winning try in DP's first full season and the celebration it sparked.  I'm told the Wigan players didn't accept defeat gracefully and (putting it politely) acted like spoilt children post final wistle, sparking an even more raucous dressing room victory song and some wind up comments from the Cas twitter account following the challenge cup draw.  The challenge cup win and an even more raucous victory song rubbed some salt in the wound.   As you say a number of other 'issues' followed this.

15 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Cas are the better team

:huh:

Hmmm, not too sure about that. Wigan wouldn' have lost by forty odd points at Saints earlier on this season.

Seventy five maybe but not forty odd...

(Runs for cover...)

Apparently, Garry Lo to make his Cas debut.  Probably not the ideal game for a winger whose defensive capabilities appear to be questionable.  Although I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes in attack.

Who is likely to play right wing for Wigan? (That might well be tonights 1st try scorer bet)

Edited by Gates1

It's likely Liam Marshall as I expect Burgess to remain on the left. Though Gary Lo could very well expose Marshall's size disadvantage. He will however )hopefully) have Bateman as his centre to help him. That is a double edged sword and means he probably won't see much ball either.

Edited by andyscoot