Sign in to follow this  
nec

RIP Roy Haggerty

Reported as having passed on Twitter, great player and a lovely guy

As a Wiganer I loved to hate him. Absolutely ran Wigan ragged in his day and was hard as nails. One of those players who just ran every ball like it was his last and would literally bleed for his team every game and would make sure he did his best to make the other team bleed as well. A cracker.

I've experienced a lot of loss recently, a sign of my own advancing years perhaps, but when someone like Roy passes who's so closely tied in my head with my own youth it's a reminder of how quickly everything passes. Enjoy it whilst you can. 

• Like 8

Sad to hear of this news. Roy was a real character, I can't think of anyone else with his running style, he seemed to stutter along but it was certainly effective. I wonder if the stories about him on tour are true?, I think it was the first time he'd ever been abroad and it was alleged he struggled a bit in the big wide world. :)

RIP Roy.

A great player who terrorised defences.I always loved watching him play when Saints came to Headingley,he always had a bit of banter with the South standers. 

R.I.P Roy.

Terrible news.

Great player and character, 58 is no age. Condolences to all his family and friends.

It's always sad to hear news like this, couldn't stand him so he must have been good!

RIP Roy

Can't believe it. He was a great favourite at Crazy Park. My condolences  to his family and all Saints fans. RIP Roy and thank you.

Very sad news. While at Liverpool University in the mid-80s, I (along with a small group of RL-following students) went along to Knowsley Road on numerous occasions to watch Saints. Remember Roy as an all-action forward, legs and arms pumping, making good yards. Always played with his socks round his ankles, IIRC, therefore instantly recognisable.