Mumby Magic

Who's next to join our ranks?

There are obviously rumours but is nothing definite yet? There are 3 initial ones that springs to mind in Bristol, Manchester and NY. Any others lined up?

I think Bristol are lined up for next season, I do not see the benefit in a Manchester team when you have Salford, Oldham, Rochdale, Swindon and Leigh on their doorstep??

When I win the Euromillions tomorrow, I am taking my chequebook to Bootham Crescent and unleashing York's potential 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Viking Ste said:

When I win the Euromillions tomorrow, I am taking my chequebook to ....................

Fill in as applicable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking Ste said:

I think Bristol are lined up for next season, I do not see the benefit in a Manchester team when you have Salford, Oldham, Rochdale, Swindon and Leigh on their doorstep??

When I win the Euromillions tomorrow, I am taking my chequebook to Bootham Crescent and unleashing York's potential 

Why would Manchester be a problem for a team in Swindon?

:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Viking Ste said:

Any reason you omitted Wigan from you list of Gtr Manchester teams?

7 hours ago, Viking Ste said:

I see a lot of benefit in having a new team in the 3rd tier from Manchester.

Juniors and awareness for starters

For me (ignorant as I am), it seems that the New York bidders are doing a lot more public self promotion compared to those in Boston and Hamilton. Is this a strategy to try and force the RFL's hand? Is this because they have a weaker case?

13 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

There are obviously rumours but is nothing definite yet? 

No, not yet, New York in the shape of England RL enthusiast Tim Wilby applied in October, to follow David Argylle Australian RL enthusiast. Post his RFL duties Mr. Wood is just checking the books at NY, Boston and Hamilton with Mr. Perez before the announcement that these clubs will enter League 2 the new league being created to accommodate the new start ups in the form of four leagues of 10.

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I see a lot of benefit in having a new team in the 3rd tier from Manchester. Juniors for starters

Is this Manchester New Hampshire? If it's England then surely Bury Broncos  who have built a sizeable Junior set up should be admitted to the professional ranks. Bring back Trafford Borough as well, on condition they set up Juniors.

2 hours ago, ojx said:

For me (ignorant as I am), it seems that the New York bidders are doing a lot more public self promotion compared to those in Boston and Hamilton. Is this a strategy to try and force the RFL's hand? Is this because they have a weaker case?

According to TFIL they all have a weaker case without "Juniors". However as there is no  junior game over there it is unfair to ask them to have any grass roots set up at all. That will of course take years so each of the clubs can run with 28 English and Antipodean players and no North American players at all just like TWP do now.

To allow them to be competitive I assume the current £1.9 Million salary cap plus Marquee signings allowance and unlimited transfer fees (who needs juniors) will be kept in place, that way the path to Superleague will be smooth, if we can get them started for next season who knows, Superleague 1 in a few years can be New York, Boston, Hamilton, Toronto, Manchester New Hampshire, Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Hull and Wire.

Then Mr. Perez can finally sign that promised Billion Dollar TV deal for a half and half transatlantic league. What becomes of Cas, Wakey, Widnes, HKR, Huddersfield and their juniors. I dunno, but well worth sacrificing for the future of Rugby League. 

Edited by The Parksider
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

No, not yet, New York in the shape of England RL enthusiast Tim Wilby applied in October, to follow David Argylle Australian RL enthusiast. Post his RFL duties Mr. Wood is just checking the books at NY, Boston and Hamilton with Mr. Perez before the announcement that these clubs will enter League 2 the new league being created to accommodate the new start ups in the form of four leagues of 10.

Is this Manchester New Hampshire? If it's England then surely Bury Broncos  who have built a sizeable Junior set up should be admitted to the professional ranks. Bring back Trafford Borough as well, on condition they set up Juniors.

According to TFIL they all have a weaker case without "Juniors". However as there is no  junior game over there it is unfair to ask them to have any grass roots set up at all. That will of course take years so each of the clubs can run with 28 English and Antipodean players and no North American players at all just like TWP do now.

To allow them to be competitive I assume the current £1.9 Million salary cap plus Marquee signings allowance will be kept in place, that way the path to Superleague will be smooth, if we can get them started for next season who knows, Superleague 1 in a few years can be New York, Boston, Hamilton, Toronto, Manchester New Hampshire, Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Hull and Wire.

Then Mr. Perez can finally sign that promised Billion Dollar TV deal for a half and half transatlantic league. What becomes of Cas, Wakey, Widnes, HKR, Huddersfield and their juniors. I dunno, but well worth sacrificing for the future of Rugby League. 

You have finally seen the light, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ojx said:

I must admit that I have had similar thoughts. They are no doubt trying to get the wider public on side. I hope that they have put similar efforts into the playing side, backroom staff and business plan as they have publicity. If they have then it could be a really fantastic bid, if not and they get a place then it could significantly set back any north American expansion.

8 hours ago, kiyan said:

Any reason you omitted Wigan from you list of Gtr Manchester teams?

Bloody Hell, I can't quite believe the WDL would raise it's hackles over that! :blink: :D

43 minutes ago, Freddie Evans said:

What about Liverpool 

Oh Lord, you'll have the Saints' lot moaning as well now.

4 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody Hell, I can't quite believe the WDL would raise it's hackles over that! :blink: :D

Oh Lord, you'll have the Saints' lot moaning as well now.

You are just making mischief!

I get into enough trouble on my own without your help!

Didn’t Hull once plan to operate a semi pro second side from Goole? I know it’s a little off topic 

Its true. Known as "The Goolies"  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Its true. Known as "The Goolies"  

You're obviously talking boll ocks.

52 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

Didn’t Hull once plan to operate a semi pro second side from Goole? I know it’s a little off topic 

I seem to recall us playing an A team game out there once, probably early 1990's if memory serves.

We also applied to the RFL to operate a semi pro team called "Hull White Star" in the 1980's, I believe, but the RFL kicked that idea into touch.

I feel like a broken record every time I say this, but it does need to be said in case accusations of 'anti-expansion' get thrown at me - I want expansion however and wherever it comes from. However, IMO we should be doing everything we can to make sure Manchester and Liverpool get pro sides asap. 

The argument these are 'football' cities is a tired one - Leeds was a football city when Leeds United were at their peak back in the early 00's and RL fans very much seen as a minority. Undoubtedly success on the field has played a part but the Rhinos have made a huge impact into the sports fan market in Leeds over the past 20 years. The fact both these cities have two big football clubs should not put RL off trying to expand the game there - there's more than enough room. There's another element to this too, on a UK wide and certainly internationally Liverpool and Manchester are very well known. They will have a pull from the outset to attract interest/fans, which sadly names like Dewsbury, Barrow, Rochdale will never have outside Northern RL circles. So, here we have 2 big cities, with a ready made rivalry I might add, who could grow very quickly with the right backing and promotion and pull in huge exposure for RL overall - we need this to happen. Other cities in the UK will take note of this and I really believe we could then see a push for pro sides in the Midlands and more in the South. 

The International expansion has it's place in our game but let's not forget their stay in the UK game might only be for as long as it takes them to establish a competitive pro league in North America or wherever else we might open our doors to. We need to be doing things now to ensure the survival of the game in this country for the future and IMO having big cities clubs is the way forward. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Post his RFL duties Mr. Wood is just checking the books at NY, Boston and Hamilton

I do hope he's charging a full whack for this. I'd hate to think that he hasn't been properly rewarded for his contribution to Rugby League.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I feel like a broken record every time I say this, but it does need to be said in case accusations of 'anti-expansion' get thrown at me - I want expansion however and wherever it comes from. However, IMO we should be doing everything we can to make sure Manchester and Liverpool get pro sides asap. 

The argument these are 'football' cities is a tired one - Leeds was a football city when Leeds United were at their peak back in the early 00's and RL fans very much seen as a minority. Undoubtedly success on the field has played a part but the Rhinos have made a huge impact into the sports fan market in Leeds over the past 20 years. The fact both these cities have two big football clubs should not put RL off trying to expand the game there - there's more than enough room. There's another element to this too, on a UK wide and certainly internationally Liverpool and Manchester are very well known. They will have a pull from the outset to attract interest/fans, which sadly names like Dewsbury, Barrow, Rochdale will never have outside Northern RL circles. So, here we have 2 big cities, with a ready made rivalry I might add, who could grow very quickly with the right backing and promotion and pull in huge exposure for RL overall - we need this to happen. Other cities in the UK will take note of this and I really believe we could then see a push for pro sides in the Midlands and more in the South. 

The International expansion has it's place in our game but let's not forget their stay in the UK game might only be for as long as it takes them to establish a competitive pro league in North America or wherever else we might open our doors to. We need to be doing things now to ensure the survival of the game in this country for the future and IMO having big cities clubs is the way forward. 

Big difference in the case of Liverpool.Leeds has a deep rugby tradition pre dating the existence of LUFC .The Liverpool sporting public never embraced rugby to any significant degree despite having a team there for 50 years or so .The RU club,one of the oldest going had to merge with St Helens RUFC.For a Liverpool RL team to flourish you'd need an effort along the lines of Melbourne Storm ie 10s of millions over decades to fund an attractive winning team and thats before you think about the cultural side of things.Its about 12 miles from the centre of St Helens and Widnes to Liverpool City centre but the cultural chasm is huge.Rugby in general and RL in particular is irredeemably "Woolyback".

• Like 4

Lets be honest, the RFL have no expansion strategy, it is entirely dependent on where someone else decides to start a club up.

If there was any kind of strategy and any kind of money to spend, i'd focus on university towns/cities. Get as many students as possible watching, playing, and supporting RL.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

You're obviously talking boll ocks.

Not for the first time....and not for the last! 😀😀😀

26 minutes ago, koli said:

Big difference in the case of Liverpool.Leeds has a deep rugby tradition pre dating the existence of LUFC .The Liverpool sporting public never embraced rugby to any significant degree despite having a team there for 50 years or so .The RU club,one of the oldest going had to merge with St Helens RUFC.For a Liverpool RL team to flourish you'd need an effort along the lines of Melbourne Storm ie 10s of millions over decades to fund an attractive winning team and thats before you think about the cultural side of things.Its about 12 miles from the centre of St Helens and Widnes to Liverpool City centre but the cultural chasm is huge.Rugby in general and RL in particular is irredeemably "Woolyback".

Again though we're talking about history as a reason as to why it can't/won't work in future. There's enough 'wools' living in Liverpool now to support a team on their own. The trouble is they're 'inactive' in the sense they don't have a team in Liverpool to support and don't go back to Widnes/St Helens to go support them either. 

Yes it would take a fair amount of investment and I agree new fans from the city will demand a successful or at the very least competitive team from the outset - the Toronto model if you like, but again that's not a reason not to push this as the benefits this could bring to RL far outweigh that IMO. 

I think its should be a condition of joining the 3rd tier that you have junior sections, but you couldn't apply that to teams from North America at this point in time.