Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

England v France

England v France on October 20, expected to be played in the northwest (cue Leigh Sports Village gags). France will also play England Knights in the European Championship and a test against NZ.

https://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/england-confirm-france-clash/146795

I make that England playing five tests this year. Not too bad for the year after a World Cup, really 

• Like 3

This is not bad at all. France deserve a annual game v England. Hopefully its at Wires ground as that should fit the bill for a nice moderately sized stadium for a international that is not going to sell like NZ or the Kangaroos would.   I would like to make this game if possible. 

Struggling to see where it talks about it being in the North-West in that report...

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Fair enough

The best venue would be Halliwell Jones - it's big enough for the likely crowd and have a great atmosphere with, say, 10K in there.

11 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Fair enough

The best venue would be Halliwell Jones - it's big enough for the likely crowd and have a great atmosphere with, say, 10K in there.

The best venue would be Marseille in August

• Like 3

Its good that we are playing france, and absolutely necessary, but we need to show more ambition than the LSV or Halliwell Jones.

The only attendance under 20k that England have had in the UK since we hosted the world cup is the last time we halfarsed it at the LSV against France. 10 of the last 11 home test matches have had 20k plus crowds. An England test match is a big event. It needs a big stage.

England v France is the sort of game that should be taken to new areas to promote the game. Newcastle Thunder's ground would be a great shout as would somewhere like Bristol. 

• Like 9

Fantastic news that we are playing France and the timing makes perfect sense giving both sides the chance to fine tune preparations immediately ahead of their respective competitions.

My only gripe is that I'd prefer it to be in France. They are even more starved of home internationals than we are and a partisan crowd backing what looks a stronger side than they took to the World Cup could see them give us a solid test and whip up a bit more enthusiasm there for the European Championship and the international game in general, wheras I think the impact on English fans of playing the game here will be negligible. That's not to say it can't attract a good crowd, i'm referring to the impact beyond the day itself. But hey, I'll take it over no game at all.

Delighted about the European Championships as well. It's vital that the likes of France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland are playing more international fixtures between World Cups. I just hope they are all able to field their strongest teams, injury permitting, it will all count for so much more if they do. Will it happen? Getting the NRL based players to turn out will I suspect be the biggest obstacle to overcome but I hope everything possible is done to try to persuade them to do so.

I'd prefer not to have the Knights in it, I'm just not sure that one nation's first team playing another's second string is sending out the right messages. I think there is a place for the Knights, along with a resurrection of county of origin, as a means of bridging the gap between club and international RL, but I'd rather the Knights were playing the second string sides of Australia or New Zealand or whatever other well matched opposition they can manufacture. All of which is a pipe dream of course because we know how hard it is to get NRL players to play full internationals let alone anything else, but I'd prefer to find other ways for the Knights than pitching them in against other nations' first teams.

Instead I'd like to have seen Italy and Lebanon (yes I know it's not in Europe, but is an RLEF member) added in to make it a 6 team tournament which would only take the same length of time as 5. Given the reliance of those 2 nations on NRL players then I suppose we're back to the same old problem of getting them to turn out, and at the present moment the Lebanese have this internal row wrecking things.

Other European nations will be occupied with World Cup Qualifying this autumn, and it's great that they have fixtures, but amidst the developments of the club game in North America we mustn't forget their national sides either, who I think are also RLEF members aren't they? If they're not doing anything else I might have been tempted to invite the US and Canada (and Jamaica in the absence of Lebanon) and make it two groups of four with semis and a final.

But one step at a time I suppose, at least we've got more than we normally get. Fingers crossed it's bigger and better in every sense than previous attempts at tournaments involving these teams.

Edited by Yakkers
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Yakkers said:

Fantastic news that we are playing France and the timing makes perfect sense giving both sides the chance to fine tune preparations immediately ahead of their respective competitions.

My only gripe is that I'd prefer it to be in France. They are even more starved of home internationals than we are and a partisan crowd backing what looks a stronger side than they took to the World Cup could see them give us a solid test and whip up a bit more enthusiasm there for the European Championship and the international game in general, wheras I think the impact on English fans of playing the game here will be negligible. That's not to say it can't attract a good crowd, i'm referring to the impact beyond the day itself. But hey, I'll take it over no game at all.

Delighted about the European Championships as well. It's vital that the likes of France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland are playing more international fixtures between World Cups. I just hope they are all able to field their strongest teams, injury permitting, it will all count for so much more if they do. Will it happen? Getting the NRL based players to turn out will I suspect be the biggest obstacle to overcome but I hope everything possible is done to try to persuade them to do so.

I'd prefer not to have the Knights in it, I'm just not sure that one nation's first team playing another's second string is sending out the right messages. I think there is a place for the Knights, along with a resurrection of county of origin, as a means of bridging the gap between club and international RL, but I'd rather the Knights were playing the second string sides of Australia or New Zealand or whatever other well matched opposition they can manufacture. All of which is a pipe dream of course because we know how hard it is to get NRL players to play full internationals let alone anything else, but I'd prefer to find other ways for the Knights than pitching them in against other nations' first teams.

Instead I'd like to have seen Italy and Lebanon (yes I know it's not in Europe, but is an RLEF member) added in to make it a 6 team tournament which would only take the same length of time as 5. Given the reliance of those 2 nations on NRL players then I suppose we're back to the same old problem of getting them to turn out, and at the present moment the Lebanese have this internal row wrecking things.

Other European nations will be occupied with World Cup Qualifying this autumn, and it's great that they have fixtures, but amidst the developments of the club game in North America we mustn't forget their national sides either, who I think are also RLEF members aren't they? If they're not doing anything else I might have been tempted to invite the US and Canada (and Jamaica in the absence of Lebanon) and make it two groups of four with semis and a final.

But one step at a time I suppose, at least we've got more than we normally get. Fingers crossed it's bigger and better in every sense than previous attempts at tournaments involving these teams.

Just imagine how stupid the game will look to have England Reserves win the "European Championship".  Do those clowns have a clue??????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Its good that we are playing france, and absolutely necessary, but we need to show more ambition than the LSV or Halliwell Jones.

The only attendance under 20k that England have had in the UK since we hosted the world cup is the last time we halfarsed it at the LSV against France. 10 of the last 11 home test matches have had 20k plus crowds. An England test match is a big event. It needs a big stage.

It's England v France, did you attend the LSV last time? It was £10 a ticket for a reason.

36 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It's England v France, did you attend the LSV last time? It was £10 a ticket for a reason.

Its £10 a ticket because people dont want to attend a halfarsed fixture put on in a small stadium in leigh.

24 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its £10 a ticket because people dont want to attend a halfarsed fixture put on in a small stadium in leigh.

It was £10 a ticket because the game was considered to be a walkover for England and guess what! If you want an annual international fixture at least make sure you have a competetive game on the field before picking 20k stadia.

Great to see an international circuit coming back. France really need this to progress and personally a strong France will be good for England. Needs to be taken around the country though so to promote the sport both in France and England. Can't see it being a sell out, that's why they have to pick the stadia carefully. An empty 20+ thousand stadium aint good for no one.

Again great to see the euro champs back, Ireland,Scotland Wales France need this. Yeah an England second string kind of dumb's it down a bit, but we have to start somewhere and if it continues over the next 6-10 years we  will see the 1st team coming in as the home nations get stronger. I just hope they will be allowed to field there strongest teams. A development tournament would also be useful for the home nations, bringing the next home grown generation through, 

6 hours ago, Yakkers said:

My only gripe is that I'd prefer it to be in France. They are even more starved of home internationals than we are and a partisan crowd backing what looks a stronger side than they took to the World Cup could see them give us a solid test and whip up a bit more enthusiasm there for the European Championship and the international game in general, wheras I think the impact on English fans of playing the game here will be negligible. 

Couldn't agree more with both points.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

It was £10 a ticket because the game was considered to be a walkover for England and guess what! If you want an annual international fixture at least make sure you have a competetive game on the field before picking 20k stadia.

How come England managed a 20k+ crowd against Ireland and France in the World Cup?

It's about how you pitch it. You pitch it as an uncompetitive walkover in a 12k stadium in a small town, people won't bother.

You pitch it as a stern test in a more attractive city and a 20k stadium, more people will consider it an event worth going.

And besides, when people talk about "half empty grounds" as a reason not to take it to be stadia, it is very likely that you'd only get any 7-8k at Leigh for it. That's practically half empty anyway. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The best venue would be Marseille in August

Well, yeah, but the reality is that the game has to take place in October. It's a miracle we've got everyone agreeing to one mid-season International. The chances of two are slim to none.

Marseille in October? Would that have been an option? I dunno....

This game really should be outside of the North of England.

I'd prefer France, a training camp based around that would be good, or alternatively London.

I don't see the need to try and sell another 20k tickets for England in the North, they would take the easy option and just arrange the match with no promotion in Leigh/Salford/Wire and get 8-10k. Do it properly in France or London for me.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

Of Englands last 23 fixtures 22 of them have had 10k+ attendances,  4 of them were against france. Those attendances were 15k, 16k, 22k and the fixture we half-arsed in Leigh.

Those results were 40-6, 34-6, 36-6. and the fixture we halfarsed in leigh 84-4.

11 hours ago, SL17 said:

No other sport restricts themselves in such a way.

I lived in Manchester at the time, and would have tried to convince a couple of newbies to go if it was we elsewhere. With all due respect that's harder when it's in Leigh, they wouldn't have had a clue about the competitiveness, but a national game there doesn't sound like a big event. 

2 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Should be played in Font Romeu in January 

Hmm. That would lead to the RFL & FFRXIII being summoned to a meeting in Sydney to explain how the players would cope with such a dangerously high altitude. It's even higher than Denver - the Sydney-based English players would need oxygen tanks.

• Haha 1

Haven't seen any announcements from any of the competing nations about the European Championships. The French announced the game with England without any mention of other games taking place between this one and the test with NZ, so presumably the details of that are tbc.

The north has already got 3 England games this autumn, while the rest of the country has diddly squat. In fact, London is going years without a game, as I've mentioned once or twice before on here....And it's not like we have junior teams and schools development going on down here that might benefit from seeing the national team playing a game or two just occasionally.

Alternatively, we could  go to Bristol, seeing as there is a team from that city entering L1 next season. It would be a nice way alerting the city to its new club, and of building a database of people who might, perhaps, maybe, conceivably, just occasionally, consider watching a game of RL on their doorstep. 

Or, of course, we could always play it without any fanfare, in front of the same old people, in a small town in the north of England. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

The north has already got 3 England games this autumn, while the rest of the country has diddly squat. In fact, London is going years without a game, as I've mentioned once or twice before on here....And it's not like we have junior teams and schools development going on down here that might benefit from seeing the national team playing a game or two just occasionally.

Alternatively, we could  go to Bristol, seeing as there is a team from that city entering L1 next season. It would be a nice way alerting the city to its new club, and of building a database of people who might, perhaps, maybe, conceivably, just occasionally, consider watching a game of RL on their doorstep. 

Or, of course, we could always play it without any fanfare, in front of the same old people, in a small town in the north of England. 

Far too logical and sensible. Can this excellent post be reviewed by the mods please?