Sign in to follow this  
Saint 1

Coventry Dragons

I remember a few years ago many on here knocking BARLA because of one of their junior rules that only allowed a small number (I can't remember but I'm sure someone will know) of players to leave one club to go to another at one time, this was to protect the club who the players where leaving, this rule seemed to go or was relaxed with the birth of the service areas where the better players got directed towards certain clubs, the aftermath of this is the number of clubs that have gone and probably more so the number of coaches and administrators who have given up the ghost because of it.

I missed this thread completely but it's incredibly disappointing.  From an entirely selfish point of view, London & SE went out of its way to accommodate these teams at the behest of the RFL.  In fact, I'd go as far as to say the reason for the Championship being in its current format is so that Northampton had somewhere to go.  Coventry pull out days before the competition is due to begin, Northampton can't raise a team for the first round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bowes said:

Northampton have pulled out of the league as well 

Very disappointing and must be annoying for London RL. Despite the great news about Nottingham Outlaws, Amateur RL in Midlands really is in a mess and not sure how recover from this. Both had a great chance to build something great but looks like neither were ready to make the next step. Such a shame. 

51 minutes ago, London Drifter said:

Fake news

The London League have deleted them from the table on the website

#fakenews

Seriously, what a waste of time.

IMG_20180513_203840.png

Someone from the Dragons said that what the Midlands has done killed both their clubs. Not exactly sure what the Midlands did do 

Not sure how seriously to take that. The stuff some of us have said publicly but this guy openly blames Midlands RL without explanation?

I assume that the guy from Coventry Dragons is either talking about whoever is the Clubs and Competitions Manager within the RFL assigned to the Midlands region, the other clubs in the region or a combination of both.  There has been talk on this board about how having Coventry and Northampton so far ahead of everybody else has ruined everything.  Now those clubs have been junked also for whatever reason.  It seems Coventry Bears' recruitment is also a factor.

I am bothered by this for a few reasons.  Firstly, our club had put together a package for our players to go to the Northampton game on a coach, stay overnight and make a weekend of it.  To leave the league after the second matchday is unfair on everybody else.  Secondly, this whole league structure was put together to facilitate the addition of these teams and Hemel.  Creating a second division was not in the best interests of most of the clubs involved.  I personally submitted a structure that was dismissed out of hand because the RFL Clubs and Competitions were so determined to do this two-tier league.  I told them it was too soon, I told them it was too much, they only listen to "trusted" people who know no more than anybody else in private.

It's another shambles, a crisis of their own creation.  Some people create their own storms and then moan when it rains.  I once told one of these C&Cs managers that they are an incredibly disingenuous group, for whom gaslighting is their main weapon.  It feels to me that they want people like me to walk away so they can have a quieter life.  We've lost four teams in the past couple of seasons that aren't coming back and aren't being replaced because they would rather talk a good game about "consolidation" when there's nothing to consolidate.    They need to stick to growing the game, something they have no actual interest in or idea of how to do.  When things reach critical mass, then you make changes.