Israel and Iran

The proxy wars will carry on.  Israel has bombed targets in Syria numerous times over the last decade.  Abandoning the Iran weapons deal will cause more harm than good in my opinion.

Israel hasn't actually revealed anything people are surprised at.  It does give Trump an excuse though.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Tensions rising dramatically judging by reports today on the BBC on the nuclear deal and Netanyahu’s presentation, and also in the Guardian with it’s report on Iran’s alleged use of the T-4 airbase in Syria.

Are we heading for a direct conflict that isn’t by proxy forces?

I hope not - still it'd put my decision not to transfer from AFPS75 to AFPS05 into perspective...

9 hours ago, iffleyox said:

I hope not - still it'd put my decision not to transfer from AFPS75 to AFPS05 into perspective...

Pffft... so old and out-dated; AFPS15 now. ?

Iran’s been playing silly buggers for years supplying weapons and expertise all over the Middle East to disrupt/destroy Israel. One of the biggest strategic mistakes of the Iraq was the belief that Iran wouldn’t take advantage of the vacuum left by Saddam’s removal.

Israel is now at even greater risk than they ever have been from other States in my opinion. But this effort by Netanyahu was pathetic offering nothing new and a straight message to Trump to remove the US’ support for the nuclear deal. Listening to Pompeo, I think Trump has already decided.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

So, would the UK go to Israel's aid if Iran started an all out campaign against them?

It depends on a lot.

Outside of Israel's borders?  No, never.

At Israel's borders?  Yes, preferably with a light blue UN hat on but definitely to stop any serious threat to their survival.

Inside Israel?  Defensive infrastructure only.

Also, I'd give not a single corroded 1p piece to the Israelis themselves in military aid, they either accept our troops with our own infrastructure and logistics or they get nothing.

We should be the bottom-of-the cliff safety net to ensure their survival as a nation but that's it.  Their warmongering hawks in charge deserve nothing to bolster their political survival and the attacks they're getting are certainly not black/white issues, they've made no effort to hold the moral high ground therefore deserve no credit when that backfires.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

We should be the bottom-of-the cliff safety net to ensure their survival as a nation but that's it.  Their warmongering hawks in charge deserve nothing to bolster their political survival and the attacks they're getting are certainly not black/white issues, they've made no effort to hold the moral high ground therefore deserve no credit when that backfires.

I do agree; Israeli actions in the West Bank and Gaza Strip have far exceeded the line for a long time - something we agreed on during the last War in Gaza. I also agree the situation isn’t black/white and the Israelis are not squeaky clean in their actions beyond their borders.

But I am not surprised by their actions in Syria; I think they are a necessity in fact. The Iranians are building a fairly extensive capability in Syria and massively broadening the arsenal available to Hezbollah. There’s only one objective with this. If I was Israeli, I’d be sh****ng my pants right now.

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I do agree; Israeli actions in the West Bank and Gaza Strip have far exceeded the line for a long time - something we agreed on during the last War in Gaza. I also agree the situation isn’t black/white and the Israelis are not squeaky clean in their actions beyond their borders.

But I am not surprised by their actions in Syria; I think they are a necessity in fact. The Iranians are building a fairly extensive capability in Syria and massively broadening the arsenal available to Hezbollah. There’s only one objective with this. If I was Israeli, I’d be sh****ng my pants right now.

I agree, what Israel does is Israel's business in how they respond to the deliberate and wilful provocation and attacks by Iran.  HOW they do it influences the help the rest of the world should give them.  I was just referring to what we should do militarily with helping Israel.

I read elsewhere that the only benefactors of a war in the area would be Russia as it'd inevitably drive up oil/gas prices and those are all that are keeping Russia from going bankrupt as a nation.  When you keep that in mind, their assistance with Syria and Iran in the area makes perfect sense.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

50 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

For those not aware, Israel calls for sanctions or even war against Iran for developing nuclear weapons in violation of the NPT, but Israel has refused to sign the treaty.

Because they don't have any nuclear weapons..... ahem....whistles....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

If I was Israeli, I’d be sh****ng my pants right now.

I think Israel can handle it.  They are far and away more better equipped and technology advanced than Iran.  What Iran and their proxies can do is needle Israel with a drip drip of attacks.  

Netanyahu met Putin yesterday and they had quite productive talks, it seems, with the Israeli Premier taking part in the celebrations to commemorate the Soviet victory over Nazism.

That would have made a big impression on the Russians.

Apparently the Israelis informed the Russians beforehand of their attack on Iranian positions in Syria.

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I agree, what Israel does is Israel's business in how they respond to the deliberate and wilful provocation and attacks by Iran.  HOW they do it influences the help the rest of the world should give them.  I was just referring to what we should do militarily with helping Israel.

I read elsewhere that the only benefactors of a war in the area would be Russia as it'd inevitably drive up oil/gas prices and those are all that are keeping Russia from going bankrupt as a nation.  When you keep that in mind, their assistance with Syria and Iran in the area makes perfect sense.

How do you know Iran attacked first ? Where you there ? No , you're just going off what you've been told. I wouldn't trust a word the Israelis come out with. The been spoiling for a fight with Iran for years, they just want to drag us in to this. Well let 'em get on with it. We should embargo any arms we supply them with immediately.

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

So, would the UK go to Israel's aid if Iran started an all out campaign against them?

I think Israel would be able to deal with Iran on its own. Iran is having problems maintaining an infrastructure in Syria because of Israeli military supremacy. 

However I think morally all democracies should aid Israel if it was necessary. 

We are talking about an Iranian Government that still stones women to death and hangs gay people. There's no comparison between the two countries, especially if you are a woman or a minority. 

People will point to Gaza but the reaponsibility for blame there is mainly placed on Hamas. 

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even the dogs in the street know they have nuclear weapons, and the smart dogs in the street know they would be quite prepared to use them.

Is a whoosh in order?

2 hours ago, Niels said:

I think Israel would be able to deal with Iran on its own. Iran is having problems maintaining an infrastructure in Syria because of Israeli military supremacy. 

We are talking about an Iranian Government that still stones women to death and hangs gay people. There's no comparison between the two countries, especially if you are a woman or a minority. 

People will point to Gaza but the reaponsibility for blame there is mainly placed on Hamas. 

You can aid them if you like, I'll hold your coat and glasses. People who shoot at unarmed demonstrators with live ammunition have a very tenuous grasp of morality.

2 hours ago, Niels said:

There was an even stronger moral and righteous case for invading Iraq.  That did not make things better. 

This is the way it goes.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived