Sign in to follow this  
scotchy1

Are Centres a dying breed?

Brian Carney had a fair dig in the one season he did at Newcastle.

There is definitely a dearth of British centres and has been for a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Brian Carney had a fair dig in the one season he did at Newcastle.

There is definitely a dearth of British centres and has been for a while. 

Forgot about Carney to be honest,Burgess  after his switch to Souths had a decent end to his 1 season in the NRL,would have been interesting to see how he went if he'd stayed on.

• Like 1

You’d like a few more young backs taking the plunge if the chance came 

I haven't seen much of him personally but from what I hear is if Jake Wardle has an extended run free of injuries that he is something special.

I know he played backrow last night,but Harvey Livett has all the qualities to be a top class centre.

On 03/05/2018 at 1:07 PM, scotchy1 said:

I was watching the NRL a couple of weeks back and one of the commentators stated that Wingers had become the primary strike players in RL now and that there were very few real centres in the game anymore.

This wasnt something i had really thought of before but it does seem to ring true. If we look at Super League Watkins is probably the only top class real strike centre, there are couple who are proper centres a bit below him imo like Shenton and Percival, possibly Gildart getting there. But outside of those four we are largely looking at, either second rowers with enough speed to keep things solid, or utility backs. Wingers meanwhile are seeing something of a boom, with obviously the likes of McGilveray and Hall, but also Burgess, Davies, Johnstone, Makinson, Swift, We have had Eden and Solomona scoring tries for fun at Cas.

If we look at the NRL we have seen the likes of Inglis move from the centres to the full back, we see utility backs of Chambers and Dugan in the centres for the kangaroos, meanwhile there is a crop of gamebreaking wingers in there at the moment, the likes of Vunivalu, Holmes, Addo-Carr, Fusitua, Feldt

It seems to me there has been a big shift outside over the last 10-20 years. I remember not so long ago players like Senior, Lyon, Gasnier, Gleeson, Berrigan, Vagana, Gidley, Hape were your game breakers that you built your teams around and wingers rarely held a lot of importance. Often players would be blooded on the wing before moving to the 'more skillful' positions.

I dont really know why this has happened but its an interesting development in the evolution of the game.

good post - definitely stimulates a bit of thinking.