Sign in to follow this  
kev p

Harry jepson 2018

Is there a harry jepson trophy this year? Was an inter league last season, with 4 leagues originally, but midlands pulling out before playing any. Deserves to be a better comp. 

Understand it's reverted to a club competition.  Winners of West playing winners of South West, then winner of that joining winners from East, London, and Midlands in semi finals.

If this does turn out to be the case, I think it will be a massive shame.

The Rep format worked well, and a lot of effort went in to make sure as many clubs as possible were involved. There had even been talk of the Rep sides touring to more far flung places. We'd learnt a lot on the staff and had already talked about some changes for this years competition to try and get more buy in from across the game. I'm also aware of other regions that wanted in.

It's so classically Rugby League that we develop a new format and don't give it the time to properly develop and bed in!

56 minutes ago, RoverBear said:

The Rep format worked well, and a lot of effort went in to make sure as many clubs as possible were involved. There had even been talk of the Rep sides touring to more far flung places. We'd learnt a lot on the staff and had already talked about some changes for this years competition to try and get more buy in from across the game. I'm also aware of other regions that wanted in.

It's so classically Rugby League that we develop a new format and don't give it the time to properly develop and bed in!

My understanding was the club comp was to return & the rep comp would continue ... but not sure 100%

Probably the best option. 

Keep your hair on guys, they announced last year that they're doing both.

There’s room for both. Club comp should be a knock out comp, rep comp a mini league, to get players getting better standard games. As far as I see there are  6 “regional” leagues, London, east, west, south west, midlands & north east. 5 games would be too many, but 2 groups of 3 would work, with a final, 3/4 & 5/6 place games at one venue, making 3 games each. 

Don't forget Wales Kev - they always took an interest in the competition when some others didn't

More entries into inter league games the better. Sorry wales you must be included this year. 

On 5/14/2018 at 12:19 PM, RoverBear said:

But the HJ trophy was ways a club trophy with 20+ years history and should remain so.

I thought that also, but last year it was an inter league comp, this should have been an extra comp (IMO). Room for both I believe but HJ name should go with club comp  

Anyone know which teams played in the semis and the final And who won?

4 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Anyone know which teams played in the semis and the final And who won?

All Golds beat North Herts 32-22 in the final at Hemel this afternoon.

36 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

All Golds beat North Herts 32-22 in the final at Hemel this afternoon.

Thank you.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:50 AM, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

But the HJ trophy was ways a club trophy with 20+ years history and should remain so.

Didn't think you did history Dave :)

What were semi final scores? League express gave all golds 64 Telford 20, Hammersmith 44 north herts 0, but north herts played in final, was there semi score shown wrong way round?

2 hours ago, kev p said:

What were semi final scores? League express gave all golds 64 Telford 20, Hammersmith 44 north herts 0, but north herts played in final, was there semi score shown wrong way round?

No, Hammersmith said they couldn't play the final on the Sunday due to a wedding, and RFL were unwilling to move it, so North Herts took their place.

Edited by Saint 1

Seems daft playing the semi if you’re not able to play the final. Unless they hoped for final to be moved.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:14 PM, Mr Plow said:

Do you think standing areas like we have in the UK would be accepted in Australia or would you all rather sit? There’s a big debate over here about standing at soccer stadiums

9 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

No, Hammersmith said they couldn't play the final on the Sunday due to a wedding, and RFL were unwilling to move it, so North Herts took their place.

2 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Very much so....! But I'm quite ok not to live in the past 😘😂

I like the idea of if it's not broke don't break it, have you noticed how more and more TV pundits are coming round to the idea that summer rugby is just not working in the amateur game - I wonder if sky pulled the plug on rugby league would we see the professional ranks go back to winter rugby, only saying this because I've noticed the grounds aren't as full these days and I've also been looking at photo's of games before the switch, didn't we get a lot of full houses back then.

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

I like the idea of if it's not broke don't break it, have you noticed how more and more TV pundits are coming round to the idea that summer rugby is just not working in the amateur game - I wonder if sky pulled the plug on rugby league would we see the professional ranks go back to winter rugby, only saying this because I've noticed the grounds aren't as full these days and I've also been looking at photo's of games before the switch, didn't we get a lot of full houses back then.

I dont watch RL on TV so not sure what the trending conversation is!