Rowley and Toronto

Toronto have a good side on paper plenty of top class players but they will not progress under Rowley toronto will get a bad name under Rowley just like leigh did since Rowley left leigh they have become a lot better a more disaplined team 

Which is all such a pity 'cos it started so well. 9 completed sets, not by dummy half runs and one out stuff, but by moving the ball around. 2 lovely tries scored. Very entertaining stuff.

Rowley keeps picking these players. He goes out and signs them.

The Kay and Lussick sin-binnings weren't the worst you'll see.

But punching and mouthing off are unforgivable. Especially when you are a man down.

Don't double up on an error is coaching basics. Kay made an error, got binned. You try to slow the game down then, and KEEP IT CLEAN for 10 minutes.

Players who don't understand this get dropped.

Except by Rowley.

I don't know whether he sends them out deliberately to act like thugs on the pitch, but I remember hearing him on one of the Wolfpack's TV show episodes that he puts very few restrictions on the players in terms of their behaviour off the field etc. and he trusts them to be professionals. That approach clearly has it's limitations.

It's a shame, because Toronto getting promoted to Super League is exactly the shot in the arm our sport needs,  but playing like this they have got no chance.

It works well against part time teams officiated by weaker, less experienced referees.

But up against a professional outfit, with a strong referee like Thaler........

9 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I don't know whether he sends them out deliberately to act like thugs on the pitch, but I remember hearing him on one of the Wolfpack's TV show episodes that he puts very few restrictions on the players in terms of their behaviour off the field etc. and he trusts them to be professionals. That approach clearly has it's limitations.

Yeh he seems to relish it as his recruitment ( Lussick the latest ) shows . He often has a sort of superior expression so it must be all part of this plan of being dominant in all aspects , and they have been able to carry the consequences because they’ve been so much better than most so it hasnt mattered ... but in qualifiers and if they progress then like today it’s a barrier you can’t overcome 

The way I saw it, one player, Andrew Dixon lost his mind for 2 seconds and threw the punch.
And then Captain, Josh McCrone, and Lussic argued too much later on.

I don't blame Rowley for the Dixon indiscretion, and that's the one that turned the tables of the match.

But as a captain, McCrone has to do better, and I'm sure Rowley will let him know that.

1 hour ago, plug said:

Toronto have a good side on paper plenty of top class players but they will not progress under Rowley toronto will get a bad name under Rowley just like leigh did since Rowley left leigh they have become a lot better a more disaplined team 

For the 1st 25 mins he outcoached the opposition, by getting the ball wide quickly and Wire struggled with it.  For another 20 mins the TWP lost their way, through Dixon’s stupidity, trying to buy more time in the tackle and talking to the Ref.  

I don’t see that as a reason to get rid of him.

And a new director of rugby. Noble is an embarrassment. It was the same style with Rowley at Leigh and he's taken the same approach to Toronto. Cheap shots, niggle, running in and constant arguing with referee. Only today there was a stronger referee and better opposition. The players are mostly ex NRL / SL players, if Rowley wanted to instil discipline he could. He's a full time in a predominantly part time league, like when he was at Leigh. 

55 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

The way I saw it, one player, Andrew Dixon lost his mind for 2 seconds and threw the punch.
And then Captain, Josh McCrone argued too much later on.

I don't blame Rowley for the Dixon indiscretion, and that's the one that turned the tables of the match.

But McCrone has to do better, and I'm sure Rowley will let him know that.

And Lussick and Ashton Sims and Chase Stanley and.... It's Rowley's style. They will all get picked next week. It is absolutely Rowley's fault. 

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

It's a shame, because Toronto getting promoted to Super League is exactly the shot in the arm our sport needs,  but playing like this they have got no chance.

It works well against part time teams officiated by weaker, less experienced referees.

HA HA HA HA HA

Maybe it's me, but for a full time team, I would question their fitness, certainly against Barrow raiders and Batley, they ran out of steam in the second half, especially the forwards, in fact in the last round of the cup it was only a foul tackle that stopped the raiders scoring a winning try, and against Toulouse they folded in the second half, and I think as tiredness sets in discipline goes.

37 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

And a new director of rugby. Noble is an embarrassment. It was the same style with Rowley at Leigh and he's taken the same approach to Toronto. Cheap shots, niggle, running in and constant arguing with referee. Only today there was a stronger referee and better opposition. The players are mostly ex NRL / SL players, if Rowley wanted to instil discipline he could. He's a full time in a predominantly part time league, like when he was at Leigh. 

Noble trying to defend them is shameful. He shouldn’t be commentating or be a guest when he is involved with the club. It spoils Premier Sports coverage, because he is so biased.

HW

I dont think we need to go over the top. Toronto lost the plot today (imo they coild have had at least another two binnings), but that was partly because they came up against a team they couldnt bully and they got frustrated. But in reality, they dont need to beat Warrington (hopefilly) to get into SL, they need to be beating the teams they currently are and then the likes of Widnes.

I like TWP and I like the style they play, but it will lead to the odd game like this. Today backfired spectacularly for them.

Toronto lost their composure a little bit but anybody who’s played the game knows when you’re starved of possession more indiscretions happen, it can easily turn into a downward spiral. When down to 10 men it was nearly impossible to turn around. 

No excusing their ill discipline.  However, Regarding the dissent penalty & sin bin. I’ve seen much more aggressive exchanges with referees not punished, compared to today. The player didn’t shut up but was calm and polite. Refs need clamp down better on this side of things. Not saying today’s was wrong but plenty don’t get punished

1 hour ago, PatrickB said:

And then Captain, Josh McCrone argued too much later on.

But McCrone has to do better, and I'm sure Rowley will let him know that.

Completely agree. Until the sending off, Toronto were most assuredly not out of their depth. Don't get me wrong, Warrington would gradually have worn them down, I'm sure, but not by that margin.

Whatever, the worst thing about the Wolfpack's behaviour was McCrone. Sorry, but asking the referee to 'respect you' like some thick street thug is poor.

Either way, no one can accuse Toronto of being bland or mediocre. Look forward to seeing them in Super League!

2 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Completely agree. Until the sending off, Toronto were most assuredly not out of their depth. Don't get me wrong, Warrington would gradually have worn them down, I'm sure, but not by that margin.

Whatever, the worst thing about the Wolfpack's behaviour was McCrone. Sorry, but asking the referee to 'respect you' like some thick street thug is poor.

Either way, no one can accuse Toronto of being bland or mediocre. Look forward to seeing them in Super League!

Given Rowley's record in the Middle 8s with Leigh it could go either way.

2 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

I think this is the reality check Rowley needed. I saw bits of how TWP players manhandle opposition by watching games on Premier and in person with the game at Skolars. SL is a lot stricter on this. He will have to adapt his instructions and tell the players to limit the dirty play.

I can see TWP making the MPG and loosing...probably due to discipline. 

Does anyone think if they dont go up this year, that they will cease to exist as a Pro outfit? Just a question....

Andrew Dixon played very well for St Helens and for Salford.Was never a discipline problem.

His father did some great work for St Peters school,Manchester,and their rugby league involvement.

He has changed dramatically since he signed for Toronto.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Thaler was MoM, he handled the game perfectly. TWP better learn from this.

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

Andrew Dixon played very well for St Helens and for Salford.Was never a discipline problem.

His father did some great work for St Peters school,Manchester,and their rugby league involvement.

He has changed dramatically since he signed for Toronto.

So you are saying its coaching instructions, - I agree....and good players merely do what the coach tells them. 

20 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

So you are saying its coaching instructions, - I agree....and good players merely do what the coach tells them. 

But this is the bit about Rowley I don't get. Am genuinely confused here. For the first 25 minutes it was working perfectly. Some beautiful rugby played. There really was no need for it. Even when Kay got binned, they could easily have gone in level or ahead.

Any coach, it would seem to me, would get them in at the half, read the Riot Act re discipline, and tell them to go back to what was working. They weren't out of it then. 

Course, they would have still lost with 12, but they'd have lost probably with 13 too.

They could have worked hard, gone back to playing  football, and won friends and influence.

Instead they became an embarrassing rabble.

Archived