Ricky Leutele signs for Wolfpack

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were a British player (or indeed a decent but not top-class overseas one) approached by Toronto I'd think carefully before signing on the dotted line. With money apparently no object, it's clear that you can very quickly become expendable there. There has been a massive turnover of players there already this season...with two NRL centres signed in the last few weeks, where does that leave Greg Worthington? And with Matty Russell signed and rumours about Luke Briscoe being approached, the likes of Higson, Kay and Pownall might struggle to get on the field.

I know it's a squad game and that change is inevitable as a team progresses up the ranks, but the revolving door does seem more active at Toronto than most.

47 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

How many quota spots do they have? Or don't the rules apply the same, being outside The EU?

I'm not sure how you can enforce a domestic quota on a team based in a different continent.

Don't have an issue in the slightest with this, isn't it what we wanted, investment and transfer activity? They had to start from scratch, so when you make around 30 signings in a really short period, some will work, some won't so it was hardly a surprise that they will have some turnover. 

It is one of the challenges that they face, but they seem to be facing into it. If they are signing better players than they currently have, then surely they are going to improve and make the comp over here even better?

All good in my book.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Don't have an issue in the slightest with this, isn't it what we wanted, investment and transfer activity? They had to start from scratch, so when you make around 30 signings in a really short period, some will work, some won't so it was hardly a surprise that they will have some turnover. 

It is one of the challenges that they face, but they seem to be facing into it. If they are signing better players than they currently have, then surely they are going to improve and make the comp over here even better?

All good in my book.

Are they playing by the same rules as everyone else ?  

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If I were a British player (or indeed a decent but not top-class overseas one) approached by Toronto I'd think carefully before signing on the dotted line. With money apparently no object, it's clear that you can very quickly become expendable there. There has been a massive turnover of players there already this season...with two NRL centres signed in the last few weeks, where does that leave Greg Worthington? And with Matty Russell signed and rumours about Luke Briscoe being approached, the likes of Higson, Kay and Pownall might struggle to get on the field.

I know it's a squad game and that change is inevitable as a team progresses up the ranks, but the revolving door does seem more active at Toronto than most.

If we look at the top SL sides, they all have strength in depth and they are all working on improving that depth in quality.  Cats, Giants, Salford all shallow squads.

TWP have some who will cut it in SL, some borderline, some won’t.  Brierley, for instance, imo is not SL standard, neither is Dixon,  but some will hang on in there.  It won’t be the end of the line for a good percentage.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We sure are.

And if our guys don't follow them they get sin binned...haven't you seen the Warrington game?

Also this is a signing for next year so clearly one eye on being competitive in SL and not just surviving...the whole comp should be full of teams like that no?

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Haven't a clue to be honest mate, and that is more because I don't have a clue what the rules are these days.

52 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is everybody else self funding, paying for all transport and accommodation for visiting teams and not getting a wedge of central funding or a vote on important matters?

What the hell are the rules for anything in RL over here anymore?

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I will understand the resentment if Toronto buy their way to trophies in the years ahead (Wigan says hi) but the more high quality players in Super League, the better 

Yeh I guess as you go higher and become more of a threat more eyes from up there will be on you.  

yep, got to take yer hat off to them,some cracking players coming in week after week,will be one hell of a championship team if they slip up along the way to SL.have to admire the fact its not costing rfl  a single penny to do it too so were told.. am really looking  forward to some sl games next season i might normaly miss that should be cracking games/:superman:

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Is everybody else self funding, paying for all transport and accommodation for visiting teams and not getting a wedge of central funding or a vote on important matters?

What the hell are the rules for anything in RL over here anymore?

Exactly , I had a quick look on rfl rules pages and overviews and err glazed over a bit 

There'll be some very decent Championship players available in a few months if Toronto make it into SL. I'm sure most of the other clubs are keeping tabs on the comings and goings.

Leutele's an action-packed player, with a recent NRL Premiership to his name and a few good years left in him. Interesting times...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I will ask the same question as some posters seem to think they are already in S.L. Have they been informed they are definitely in S.L. or like the rest of the Championship and the final 8,s do they have to play for it and qualify? 

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

I will ask the same question as some posters seem to think they are already in S.L. Have they been informed they are definitely in S.L. or like the rest of the Championship and the final 8,s do they have to play for it and qualify? 

I do not understand why some continue to ask questions like this. Of course they must play for it and earn it the same as any other team. They are playing by the same rules, with the same salary cap (with an exception on the sustainability clause, allowing them to spend ahead of revenue within the salary cap while they build a following at home). They have paid to join the RFL system, they pay travel & accommodation for all visiting teams until they earn their way to SL, and they receive no central funding or prize money. They also are not allowed home games in the Challenge Cup, and make many more trips across the Atlantic than any other team.

Where does all this paranoia come from that the Wolfpack are being treated preferentially? I understand that we are rocking the boat a little, but we are doing a lot to help grow the game and bring more money in.

Archived