Sign in to follow this  
Abicus

Potential Aus v Tonga Test in October likely for Brisbane

An update from Brad Walter writing for NRL.com:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/17...-and-tonga-mate-maa-edging-closer-to-reality/

~~~~~~~~~~
"Tonga coach Kristian Woolf is confident the Mate Ma'a and Australia will face off in an end-of-season Test, pitting Andrew Fifita against his former Kangaroos teammates.

Jason Taumalolo and other members of the star-studded Tonga side who captured the imagination of fans at last year's World Cup are also expected to be available for the historic Test, which may be played at Suncorp Stadium in October.

Discussions with promoters about playing in Hawaii, Qatar or the United States are continuing but it is believed the Test would be more financially viable if staged in Australia.

It is understood details of the clash need to be finalised by August 30 and the Rugby League International Federation has not yet received an application to sanction an Australia-Tonga Test at the organisation's next meeting on Thursday.

However, Woolf said indications were the Test would proceed and players who have represented the Mate Ma'a at the World Cup have again committed to Tonga, including Fifita, Michael Jennings, David Fusitua and Solomone Kata."
~~~~~~~~~~
I suggest everyone read full story. Proceeds to mention that Fifita says Jason Taumololo, Sio Siua Taukieaho, Manu Ma'u and Tevita Pangai Junior have all committed to Tonga.

Note: Solomone Kata committed earlier in the week while David Fusitu'a is unsure. See here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/16/kata-commits-to-tonga-while-fusitua-remains-undecided/
So what is everyone's thoughts? I asked Brad on Twitter whether he was confident the Test would eventuate, and he said it seemed likely.

Could Tonga compete? Australian side would be pretty different to last year's RLWC. Could probably attract a crowd of 30,000 depending on the amount of hype Tonga could generate.

Be better playing the game in Auckland, they would get a massive gate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Abicus said:

Discussions with promoters about playing in Hawaii, Qatar or the United States are continuing but it is believed the Test would be more financially viable if staged in Australia.

Why don't they just play in New Zealand where they know they will get a big crowd. How these administrators can miss the obvious as it constantly slaps them in the face time after time after time is amazing. I mean no thought even needs to go into it. In the RLWC17 Tonga drew big crowd after big crowd in New Zealand. That's where their support is. Its like they want this concept to fail. It astounds me how hard they seem to try to make wrong decisions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, B rad said:

Why don't they just play in New Zealand where they know they will get a big crowd. How these administrators can miss the obvious as it constantly slaps them in the face time after time after time is amazing. I mean no thought even needs to go into it. In the RLWC17 Tonga drew big crowd after big crowd in New Zealand. That's where their support is. Its like they want this concept to fail. It astounds me how hard they seem to try to make wrong decisions. 

My thoughts exactly. Talk about a gift horse.

Auckland involves a flight and there might be mountains sooo...that's bad for players and playing it in Oz is best...apply this scientifically backed statements to any other questions of why a game isn't being planned for outside of Oz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Abicus said:
An update from Brad Walter writing for NRL.com:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/17...-and-tonga-mate-maa-edging-closer-to-reality/

~~~~~~~~~~
"Tonga coach Kristian Woolf is confident the Mate Ma'a and Australia will face off in an end-of-season Test, pitting Andrew Fifita against his former Kangaroos teammates.

Jason Taumalolo and other members of the star-studded Tonga side who captured the imagination of fans at last year's World Cup are also expected to be available for the historic Test, which may be played at Suncorp Stadium in October.

It is understood details of the clash need to be finalised by August 30 and the Rugby League International Federation has not yet received an application to sanction an Australia-Tonga Test at the organisation's next meeting on Thursday.

However, Woolf said indications were the Test would proceed and players who have represented the Mate Ma'a at the World Cup have again committed to Tonga, including Fifita, Michael Jennings, David Fusitua and Solomone Kata."
~~~~~~~~~~
I suggest everyone read full story. Proceeds to mention that Fifita says Jason Taumololo, Sio Siua Taukieaho, Manu Ma'u and Tevita Pangai Junior have all committed to Tonga.

Note: Solomone Kata committed earlier in the week while David Fusitu'a is unsure. See here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/16/kata-commits-to-tonga-while-fusitua-remains-undecided/
So what is everyone's thoughts? I asked Brad on Twitter whether he was confident the Test would eventuate, and he said it seemed likely.

Could Tonga compete? Australian side would be pretty different to last year's RLWC. Could probably attract a crowd of 30,000 depending on the amount of hype Tonga could generate.

I didn't think the Aussie were playing any tests this year

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

I didn't think the Aussie were playing any tests this year

They're playing the Kiwis in Auckland on October 13th, as are the Womens team and the Junior Roos. 

Rather like the last time the Kangaroos had what some describe as a 'year off', they did actually play NZ.

I'd love to say I was shocked to read the plans for a test in Qatar or Hawaii look like falling through, but in all honesty, I would've been more shocked if either of those games had taken place. I'll still be somewhat surprised if they play Tonga at all.

As for the choice of Brisbane, well the Aussies are organising it, and it would mean the Roos get to play in front of their own fans at least once this year. Also, Suncorp holds more than double what Mt Smart in Auckland holds, and would probably be cheaper than hiring Eden Park. 

2 end of season tests,let's hope those Aussie stars don't suffer more burnout or that will be next seasons NRL ruined as well.

• Haha 3

Of course it'll be in Brisbane,it was never going to be anywhere else..talk of Hawaii,Qatar,NYC was purely because we are playing in Denver and the Aussie's wanted to feel relevant..

Edited by roughyedspud
  • Like 1