Sign in to follow this  
hrtbps

How good is your RL club on social media?

I've been massively impressed with Fev's Twitter output this season - a massive step up from previous years, from the in-game commentary, try gifs, to their videos marketing big games.

How does your club fair on social media? What works well, and what more can be done?

Do you follow any clubs other than your own? 

Toulouse are doing OK in Social Media I would say.

but YES, credit to Fev for they TV/video/comments coverage, if livestream coverage was allowed, this club would provide a very good "Product" : competitive team, good crowds, good angles from several camera (which could almost allow video ref), good video production, good live comments...

Without access to stats on engagement and reach how do you place a measure on it? 

4 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Without access to stats on engagement and reach how do you place a measure on it? 

quality, regularity and reactions to the posts? we wont have any data, plus there are teams which are more popular (with more followers) than others...

I personaly Think that the quality of video production is a huge factor in terms of fan experience.

Bradford are dreadful.

I mean, they try, but it feels like the strategy is done by a 60 year old who's read an instruction guide and the actual activity is done by a 14 year old on work experience.

There's just no feeling in it and, thus, no connection with the fans.

#letsmakeuphashtagsthatonlywecouldpossiblyuse

As someone who lives in the opposite end of the country from the team I suppor, I’m quite happy with Saints’ stuff. There’s decent interviews, podcasts, videos and the clubs Twitter during games is as in depth as it can within the limited characters they can use. 

Closer to home, London Skolars stuff is pretty poor. I get the impression that they don’t have somebody who’s job it is to do the media stuff as usually at away games, their info and updates are pretty limited being the odd update here or there. They run a competition to win a free home shirt before the season started and never announced the winner, if there was even one. That said, they’re a part-time team and can’t be expected to pay someone to do this. 

Our (Fev's) output recently has been top drawer.  I think it helps that I think one of the volunteers that produces the content works in TV.

The Fev TV product is the best £4 a month I spend.  I was sceptical when I signed up, figuring it would be an amateur affair, but have been blown away by the quality of not just the TV footage, but mini magazine programs and interviews etc.

Facebook and Twitter output are also a step above what went before.

I follow all of the Super League clubs and Fev's is right up there with the likes of Leeds and Wigan.

• Like 3

Wigan's is pretty informative, there always seems to be something going on - MrPosh's description of Bradford seems like a common theme among clubs who don't seem to budget (or be able to) much for things like online marketing campaigns etc. I'd imagine the clubs with TV channels and generally strong online presences are the ones who've invested a bit in an experienced marketing team, or least one experienced marketing expert. So basically it comes down to having money to make money i think - a shame really as some clubs wouldn't need to spend money to gain followers on social media as long as they've got someone who knows how to run a campaign (which seems to be the bit that costs money).

Hull's is ok. On the rare occasion I cant see or listen to a game I follow the in game updates on twitter and they are really regular and informative. Plenty of news every day. They use Hull FC Live for interviews, highlights etc. Some of which are free and some you need to subscribe. Plenty of people seem to engage with it. Nearly up at 70,000 followers now too which is pretty good for a rugby club.

Its a difficult thing to get right. They are trying to appeal to a very broad demographic. In many cases supporting the team might the only thing alot of users have in common. So what works for one person, another might have no interest in.

2 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Bradford are dreadful.

I mean, they try, but it feels like the strategy is done by a 60 year old who's read an instruction guide and the actual activity is done by a 14 year old on work experience.

There's just no feeling in it and, thus, no connection with the fans.

#letsmakeuphashtagsthatonlywecouldpossiblyuse

I like the Three Bulls in a Bar feature they do. I'd love to see us do something similar. Much better than straightforward player interviews.

One valid point I did see raised on Twitter the other day is that quite a few official club Twitter accounts have no qualms about bashing the ref during in-game updates (there was a fairly over-the-top example from one SL club over the weekend). Quite apart from the fact that fans currently seem to need no encouragement to bash refs on social media, it just looks so unprofessional.

• Like 1

Overall from fans it seems the general opinion is that apart from a couple of clubs its a case of, "Can and must do better"

I think most i see do quite well on the basics. Score updates, squad announcements, news etc. Definitely a step up i think this year.

But its generally a bit bland and a bit anodyne. I think we could really do a lot with social media, espcially because we struggle so often to get space for the secondary aspects of the game. Social Media could really be the platform for that.

Theres little in terms of real interest or personality and we don't really push it as much as we could.

• Like 1

Bit hit and miss with Skolars, although generally pretty good. They post regularly and positively including the community activities and linking with local people/organisations. Tweets look good (professional). My issue is that, particularly on match day and for away matches, it can be quiet or minimal, as can post match.

London Broncos Tweet often, especially with match updates, but also promoting players, sponsors and events. Toronto are also very active in a similar fashion.

Clubs could look and learn from the above examples.

5 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Bradford are dreadful.

I think Stuart Duffy is older than 60 :P 

And the kid that does it is actually a student on placement, I believe - so probably more like 19 years old ;) 

Otherwise, you're spot on...

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I think most i see do quite well on the basics. Score updates, squad announcements, news etc. Definitely a step up i think this year.

But its generally a bit bland and a bit anodyne. I think we could really do a lot with social media, espcially because we struggle so often to get space for the secondary aspects of the game. Social Media could really be the platform for that.

Theres little in terms of real interest or personality and we don't really push it as much as we could.

What would be the 2 or 3 main New directions that a club could take to complete their current strategy/social media utilisation ? 

17 minutes ago, Fabou said:

What would be the 2 or 3 main New directions that a club could take to complete their current strategy/social media utilisation ? 

I thought the effort Leeds did a few years ago of having twitter players handles on the back of shirts was a great idea, i have no idea why that was just a one off and not a something every team does, every game. Especially for a sport which struggles to produce stars its a  pretty cheap and easy way of starting to build them.

I think if we cant be the most high profile sport we should be the most open, surely there are parts of training , video review, game day preparation that arent going to cause a problem if players share.

Id also like to see the RFL/SL look to help to hype up the games, 5 areas each game will be won and lost by Paul Sculthorpe, Kevin Sinfields tactical masterclass, Monday Reviews with Tony Smith. get 30-40 videos put out per week. Some in depth high level tactical discussions, some 'primers' for the uninitiated.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I thought the effort Leeds did a few years ago of having twitter players handles on the back of shirts was a great idea, i have no idea why that was just a one off and not a something every team does, every game. Especially for a sport which struggles to produce stars its a  pretty cheap and easy way of starting to build them.

I think if we cant be the most high profile sport we should be the most open, surely there are parts of training , video review, game day preparation that arent going to cause a problem if players share.

Id also like to see the RFL/SL look to help to hype up the games, 5 areas each game will be won and lost by Paul Sculthorpe, Kevin Sinfields tactical masterclass, Monday Reviews with Tony Smith. get 30-40 videos put out per week. Some in depth high level tactical discussions, some 'primers' for the uninitiated.

That makes me think about something a bit out of the social media thread: about 2 years ago, The nrl had a microphone on a player ( i think it was JT) and they dropped 2 or 3 days after the game a 5mn video from a fixed camera (not the one they use for their game vidéo production) which was focused on the player (so JT). So basically you had a video from the supporter's view (without the sound of the crowd) following JT and the voice of JT and in the same time, you could here what we was saying when attacking, to his team mates after the other team scored.. They must have cut the swearing haha, and you could not hear a lot, but still, In term of fan experience, it was gold. I was not on the pitch neither a cowboys fan but still, for the fan this is a great thing to do. I dont think they did it again, or maybe not on a regular basis, that must be a bit complicated, and the player has to kept focused on the game knowing that his voice is recorded... I should try to find it, maybe the microphone was not on JT but on Morgan and you could here JT.. I will check that tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I'm not on social media myself but the club twitter page is often my first port of call for news. Match day coverage is pretty good with score updates and reports, and twitter is effectively the main "news channel" from the club.

A popular feature on twitter during the close season was the "20:18" announcements, clearly referring to this season. Everything from player signings to season ticket details and the new kit were announced at 20:18 each evening for several weeks, I thought that was a great idea.

I don't particularly like Facebook so don't really go there, but recognise the value of social media (it is only in the last two months or so that we have found ourselves back on the website of the local newspaper) and I think the club do it quite well.

Toronto Wolfpack social media in numbers: facebook official page ~26k followers . Twitter has ~23k. I'm on the latter only and it is quite lively with about 5-10 posts a day with lot more on game days. 

London Broncos are ok but a bit humourless. Hemel (my nearest team but not my team in any way) are awful.

10 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

that is the video I was thinking about (a bit different that in my memories haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=felhR407UVU

Do clubs use the likes of Instagram as well? They are more widely used (along with Facebook) by the younger elements of the population rather than Twitter.

I think the York Knights twitter and facebook is good, a nice mix of humour (Harry Kane scoring for York!) while being informative. Also helps with the twitter providing match updates at pretty much every game.

One thing I particularly like is they give both the time and score when they post twitter match updates e.g. 67mins Joe Batchelor Try 24-10. I know it's only a little thing, but it's frustrating with other teams when you are trying to look up a score and the update only says Try - J.Bloggs so you have to head over to the BBC live scores section, who are always 5 mins behind. Likewise it's ideal for matches when you're wondering approx how long is left. 1st world problems I know, but it all helps.

• Like 2