Sign in to follow this  
Kris

The most important sporting story in ages....

I appreciate there are a lot of stories out there, good bad and indifferent, but we care about the future of our sport

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2018/5/16/bt-sport-to-stream-uefa-champions-league-final-on-youtube-as-digital-importance-grows?cid=halDM29418&bid=131376313&e_cti=3893886&e_ct=T&utm_source=AdobeCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EONRM_Daily_newsroom_16.05&theSource=EONRM&Override=1

Why aren't SL and the RFL on this project now?

And if they are have I missed it?

TWP lost a lot of friends last week when they imploded in spectacular style, but boy they know their onions- all promotion via online broadcasters and happy to settle for a sole rights to the Asian streaming market and no sky money if they are promoted as per the topic from a few months back??

This sport of ours is in serious trouble if it isn't looking at this sort of thing right now!

30 minutes ago, Kris said:

I appreciate there are a lot of stories out there, good bad and indifferent, but we care about the future of our sport

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2018/5/16/bt-sport-to-stream-uefa-champions-league-final-on-youtube-as-digital-importance-grows?cid=halDM29418&bid=131376313&e_cti=3893886&e_ct=T&utm_source=AdobeCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EONRM_Daily_newsroom_16.05&theSource=EONRM&Override=1

Why aren't SL and the RFL on this project now?

And if they are have I missed it?

TWP lost a lot of friends last week when they imploded in spectacular style, but boy they know their onions- all promotion via online broadcasters and happy to settle for a sole rights to the Asian streaming market and no sky money if they are promoted as per the topic from a few months back??

This sport of ours is in serious trouble if it isn't looking at this sort of thing right now!

Sky show Premier League football on Sky 1 on Saturdays. 

Why don't they show Magic Weekend on Sky 1? It would be great for all 12 teams to be shown on normal TV to a new audience. If Magics supposed to be a promotional event why don't the RFL push for Sky to do this? What else are they going to show on Sky 1 anyway, more repeats of the Simpsons?

I thought the consensus after that Bradford-Workington affair was that streaming was bad as it stops people going to games.

You make it sound like the sport has a choice and has all of these options. Football is a different beast altogether and can dictate terms, Rugby League unfortunately cant.

I'm sure the sport is looking at all the options but simple old economics come into it too. How many people bought the England stream again? I can just picture Sky responding to the RFL's attempts for it to give up exclusivity. I am guessing it will be something along the lines of yes you can stream games but here is a £50 million TV deal instead of a £200 million one. Money talks and at this moment in time, and for the foreseeable future, Rugby League does not have the number of people willing to pay for a subscription or sponsors willing to be involved in such a project. The sport simply could not make up the difference in revenue.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Why don't they show Magic Weekend on Sky 1? It would be great for all 12 teams to be shown on normal TV to a new audience. If Magics supposed to be a promotional event why don't the RFL push for Sky to do this? What else are they going to show on Sky 1 anyway, more repeats of the Simpsons?

Sky did show one full day of Magic on their Spike channel a few years ago, which is available on FreeView TV (not just satellite/cable). Maybe there were so many complaints about imaginary things from RL fans on social media that they decided to never do it ever again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

You make it sound like the sport has a choice and has all of these options. Football is a different beast altogether and can dictate terms, Rugby League unfortunately cant.

I'm sure the sport is looking at all the options but simple old economics come into it too. How many people bought the England stream again? I can just picture Sky responding to the RFL's attempts for it to give up exclusivity. I am guessing it will be something along the lines of yes you can stream games but here is a £50 million TV deal instead of a £200 million one. Money talks and at this moment in time, and for the foreseeable future, Rugby League does not have the number of people willing to pay for a subscription or sponsors willing to be involved in such a project. The sport simply could not make up the difference in revenue.

im not that sure. There is a space for a mix and the relatively low value of RL tv rights leaves us better placed to push towards this sort of thing.

Not sure what the point is here. 

Sky offers Now TV passes for streaming Sky Sports and therefore rugby league as sole rights holder. 

The NRL offers Watch NRL, which is purely  a streaming service. 

Giving away premium content for free via YouTube is not the answer for rugby league.

The media may change but paying for content does not.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

im not that sure. There is a space for a mix and the relatively low value of RL tv rights leaves us better placed to push towards this sort of thing.

Another way of looking at is that we have more (scaled down) to lose. If Football cut loose from Sky and BT, the demand would be there, for any new platform they chose, to basically print money.

Super League is streamed LIVE in all the none traditional areas that dont have TV deals.

I pay seventy quid till the end of the season for all the SKY games (and the Challenge Cup  broadcasts including the ones from the Beeb) on the new live.rugby-league.com channel.

Not as good as the "Watch NRL" streams for content but they are already using streaming platforms around the world.

Off course due to contracts with SKY this is not avaiable in the UK or any other League country that shows SL on TV.

But maybe they are not as daft as people think !!

Some clubs use facebook to stream live (Bradford) BAR TV has streamed Skolars,Freeview streams NCL.

There is a lot of content out there but until it is a viable profit making platform then its never going to replace the money that SKY give for the rights to show games.

Edited by yanto

The England game that was streamed was a bit of a disaster because they flew in the face of common sense and rejected an offer to have the game shown on BBC. I wouldn't pay for streaming after that on principle and clearly others felt the same.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

The England game that was streamed was a bit of a disaster because they flew in the face of common sense and rejected an offer to have the game shown on BBC. I wouldn't pay for streaming after that on principle and clearly others felt the same.

You wouldn't pay for streaming after that? Not ever? Not even if they started to offer lots of content and at a very good price?

Just now, Futtocks said:

You wouldn't pay for streaming after that? Not ever? Not even if they started to offer lots of content and at a very good price?

No, not ever. Just regarding that particular game.

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

WatchNRL is great..every game Live or on demand,loads of magazine type programmes..... well worth the money.

The Super League equivelent is a bit of a let down as they only show the games live ,no on demand and no other content.But still for us on the continent again value for what we pay.

If you know your way around computers Channel Nine show three live games a week,have a few magazine shows and also the NSW and Queensland competitions.

Wall to wall League 24/7 via LEGAL paid for (or in the case of Channel Nine free) streams. So the streaming platform is already getting a lot of usage.

Edited by yanto

1 minute ago, yanto said:

WatchNRL is great..every game Live or on demand,loads of magazine type programmes..... well worth the money.

The Super League equivelent is a bit of a let down as they only show the games live ,no on demand and no other content.But still for us on the continent again value for what we pay.

I aren't against streaming, that sounds like a good deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Another way of looking at is that we have more (scaled down) to lose. If Football cut loose from Sky and BT, the demand would be there, for any new platform they chose, to basically print money.

But they have more outgoings,more competition and a LOT to make back.

At £300 a year for a subscriptions service, even if we couldnt sell the tv rights for anything, we would need to find about 133k subscribers. To get to  £40m a year (the top line of what sky pay, its actually less than that) for the Premier league to make back their money at the same price, they are looking at about 5million subscribers. We regularly get more than 133k viewing figures on Sky. I dont think the PL has got over 2m for any game this year.

My kids haven’t watched regular TV for years. Streaming is the future.

Perhaps instead of simply setting up streaming sites the RFL can, if they can find partners interested, have live streaming of games included as part of mobile phone deals etc.

I use Telstra in Australia and that gives me unlimited data for live NRL, AFL and netball. I can watch the games anywhere on my phone. It’s set up so you can’t link it to your TV .

Every mobile phone customer of Telstra, rugby league fan or otherwise, has it as part of their plan.

To a certain extent we've already been left behind, football has a decent amount of significant fixtures on every single major channel, as of next season so is RU (BBC-6Ns, and some Internationals, ITV-6Ns, RUWC, C4-9 Heineken Cup games incl.QF,SF,F, C5-5 live games & weekly roundups, SkyS-7sWorldSeries, SuperRugby, Top14, England&Ireland internationals, BTSport-PremRugby, PremierSports-Pro14, every game). How come Rugby League is locked behind Sky Sports with a token BBC offering then? Firstly, demanding Sky give us something for nothing will get us nowhere. Perhaps we need to launch more competitions somehow, so that we have more rights to sell? Maybe a standalone 9s series that travels round the UK (The Stoop, Coventry Ricoh, Kingston Park, Memorial Stadium Bristol, Eastleigh etc). IT would be a good ay of conducting outreach relatively cheaply, while creating another set of media rights that could be sold to C4/ITV/BT etc.

9 hours ago, Chamey said:

To a certain extent we've already been left behind, football has a decent amount of significant fixtures on every single major channel, as of next season so is RU (BBC-6Ns, and some Internationals, ITV-6Ns, RUWC, C4-9 Heineken Cup games incl.QF,SF,F, C5-5 live games & weekly roundups, SkyS-7sWorldSeries, SuperRugby, Top14, England&Ireland internationals, BTSport-PremRugby, PremierSports-Pro14, every game). How come Rugby League is locked behind Sky Sports with a token BBC offering then? Firstly, demanding Sky give us something for nothing will get us nowhere. Perhaps we need to launch more competitions somehow, so that we have more rights to sell? Maybe a standalone 9s series that travels round the UK (The Stoop, Coventry Ricoh, Kingston Park, Memorial Stadium Bristol, Eastleigh etc). IT would be a good ay of conducting outreach relatively cheaply, while creating another set of media rights that could be sold to C4/ITV/BT etc.

That's the crux of it, but we don't have enough professional clubs to create more competitions. Expansion into new markets is key for that reason.

If you put the best 12-16 union teams into one "Super League" then I doubt they'd get more than they do for the assortment of comps they have now (as well as maintain the number of professional clubs they now  have).

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That's the crux of it, but we don't have enough professional clubs to create more competitions. Expansion into new markets is key for that reason.

If you put the best 12-16 union teams into one "Super League" then I doubt they'd get more than they do for the assortment of comps they have now (as well as maintain the number of professional clubs they now  have).

Whilst I agree, I also think it's something of yesterday's thinking ( or today's thinking but it's late at night). We of course need more clubs and new markets certainly but there are other focuses that are more forward thinking that we can do right now. 

There are other formats such as 9s that can fill the niche 7s and 20/20 fills. The party format. 

Then there is the serious options, the world club comps. The champions league niche.

Then there is the fastest growing area of sports. Women's sport. Really not sure why the women's challenge cup final isn't a double header with the cc final already. I'm sure the BBC would screen it, at least on the red button.

• Like 3

Just when I was praising the RFL I tried to access my Live RL this morning just to make sure everything was good for Magic Weekend and hit all kinds of problems.

At first it wouldnt even let me on the site "This site cant provide a secure connection" so I guess my firewall/anti virus has found some bugs. Had to use a VPN set to the Netherlands even though I am in the Netherlands.

Then it tells me I have no active subscription..then when I go into my account it shows my subscription expires in November 2018.

Hoping they sort it for the morning but not a happy bunny at the moment ;-(

Any computer whizz kids know whats going on ??

Capture rl.PNG

Capture rfl.PNG

rfl 1.PNG

Edited by yanto

16 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Do they?

Im not sure about the FA Cup as it seems to have suffered a similar fate to the CC in that its a nice party at the end of the season but that's it - the teams you hear about are all lower league teams having their day in the sun - I agree with Joel Tomkins that the CC needs to open up for all teams at the start and stop the seeding thing - that's how dreams are made win lose or draw

As for streaming it is the future, and usually separate rights to digital or other broadcast rights - seems Sky have all ours then in the more meaningful territories - good on the RFL for trying it with the Live RL app

Its the future for sports - 2.5 of 6.5 million people watched the ECL final on a phone or other non-traditional device - I hope the Live RL app goes hand in hand with different devices and especially in Asia on Android devices.

I am not sure why people don't like streaming - its just a different way of delivering the same content - I like what the NRL do with their app and I think its the future

We wont get many more people following the sport because they see it on a Saturday on the BBC - those days are done - we need a new plan to spread the game and sometimes its about letting the broadcaster be creative with the output - otherwise don't like BT Sports but I have to say they have the platform for a top quality streaming service and perhaps that is where the RFL and the clubs should be looking to sell the game

2 hours ago, Kris said:

Im not sure about the FA Cup as it seems to have suffered a similar fate to the CC in that its a nice party at the end of the season but that's it - the teams you hear about are all lower league teams having their day in the sun - I agree with Joel Tomkins that the CC needs to open up for all teams at the start and stop the seeding thing - that's how dreams are made win lose or draw

As for streaming it is the future, and usually separate rights to digital or other broadcast rights - seems Sky have all ours then in the more meaningful territories - good on the RFL for trying it with the Live RL app

Its the future for sports - 2.5 of 6.5 million people watched the ECL final on a phone or other non-traditional device - I hope the Live RL app goes hand in hand with different devices and especially in Asia on Android devices.

I am not sure why people don't like streaming - its just a different way of delivering the same content - I like what the NRL do with their app and I think its the future

We wont get many more people following the sport because they see it on a Saturday on the BBC - those days are done - we need a new plan to spread the game and sometimes its about letting the broadcaster be creative with the output - otherwise don't like BT Sports but I have to say they have the platform for a top quality streaming service and perhaps that is where the RFL and the clubs should be looking to sell the game

I don't disagree with too much of this, but just a couple of points.

1 - First bold bit - a Saturday afternoon on the BBC will still deliver our biggest TV audiences of the year by some distance. If we want exposure, Saturday afternoon on the BBC is perfect. The problem is that there is only so much coverage we will get from them.

2 - On the streaming point, Sky did show a few games streamed in year one of this new structure, have no idea why they abandoned it.

20 hours ago, Copa said:

My kids haven’t watched regular TV for years. Streaming is the future.

Perhaps instead of simply setting up streaming sites the RFL can, if they can find partners interested, have live streaming of games included as part of mobile phone deals etc.

I use Telstra in Australia and that gives me unlimited data for live NRL, AFL and netball. I can watch the games anywhere on my phone. It’s set up so you can’t link it to your TV .

Every mobile phone customer of Telstra, rugby league fan or otherwise, has it as part of their plan.

Have your kids watched anything, other than a film, that runs for over an hour?