Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Hull F.C. sign the youngster Hull KR let get away

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’ve heard some good reports about him.............did Hull KR discard him too soon?

http://www.totalrl.com/hull-fc-land-doncaster-youngster-harris/

The whole thing is an odd story. Rovers didnt discard him. He turned them down to sign for Doncaster, and apparantly Hull paid the fee. Then he has been training with us and indeed played for us in pre season. Seems like he was to all intents and purposes a Hull player already. Speculation on my part. But I reckon Hull wanted to sign him last year but couldnt due to salary cap restrictions, so they arranged a deal for him to go to Donny (our dual reg club) to allow them to sign him when the opportunity arose. Watts leaving has opened up some space.

Might be total rubbish. But it would perhaps explain why he turned down a SL club to sign for a League 1 club, and also why Hull have been working so closely with him.

First of all, I hope Liam does well at Hull FC, he is a talented player and seems a good egg too.

But...his main problem is consistency. At York last season he was man of the match in the win against Toronto but faded after that, in some matches he was 9/10, but in too many matches you'd forget he was even on the pitch. He has a habit of running sideways in a Rangi Chase style, difficulty is half the time his team mates don't know what he's about to do next. Reading the Doncaster forum, similar comments - on fire against Hemel and Newcastle, anonymous against Bradford and York.

Despite all this, I've gone for him as first try scorer against KR :-) It's now his chance to shine and show what he's capable of regardless of the opposition. If he can, FC have a very good player on their hands.

11 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

First of all, I hope Liam does well at Hull FC, he is a talented player and seems a good egg too.

But...his main problem is consistency. At York last season he was man of the match in the win against Toronto but faded after that, in some matches he was 9/10, but in too many matches you'd forget he was even on the pitch. He has a habit of running sideways in a Rangi Chase style, difficulty is half the time his team mates don't know what he's about to do next. Reading the Doncaster forum, similar comments - on fire against Hemel and Newcastle, anonymous against Bradford and York.

Despite all this, I've gone for him as first try scorer against KR :-) It's now his chance to shine and show what he's capable of regardless of the opposition. If he can, FC have a very good player on their hands.

Thanks for the info. Consistency will come with development and game experience. Halves are never the finished article at that age. I’m looking forward to seeing him play 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks for the info. Consistency will come with development and game experience. Halves are never the finished article at that age. I’m looking forward to seeing him play 

Definitely. I'd also add I think he's wasted at fullback, seems too far away from the action there. Hopefully Radford can help develop him in the halves.

Yep as someone else alluded to, definitely not discarded... We made him an offer, however he wanted to move to Hull.

He has gone to Doncaster due to their DR with FC and I would guess Hull's lack of space for him, but to all intents and purposes he was sitting there waiting for the move. The cap space from Watts and the injuries to their halves seems to have hastened his move there. 

His brother Ash is a mate of mine. We used to work together. He told me he wanted first team rugby and Rovers couldn't guarantee it so he went to Donny. Obviously they're connected to Hull so he fancied his chances there and backed himself through the back door, I guess.

No issues for me, good luck to him. We all moved on (he even played against us for Hull in the friendly if memory serves me correctly) but some are now whinging like it was a big cover up or something.