Pleased for Zak and a great deal for Wigan. Really does call into question for me why Cas decided end his contract. Was it a moral decision or didn't think he'd get less then two years? Interesting to see if he's ever considered for England again too. 

I agree a great FB often leads to a side playing good rugby, but even if Barba leaves Hardaker still won't be the best FB in SL. That will be Jack Walker by next season and probably for the next few years. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

Mind you, this means that we are now less than two years away from the next Zak Hardaker "I'm really sorry, I know I've made another mistake etc." interview on Sky Sports!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Chris22 said:

Mind you, this means that we are now less than two years away from the next Zak Hardaker "I'm really sorry, I know I've made another mistake etc." interview on Sky Sports!

It's funny 'cause it's almost certainly true!

Up 'til then, however, we have a very good FB on the club's books.

That is a decent press release, well done Wigan. Glad they didnt ignore the challenges and have been quite honest.

Ive said before im not a fan of throwing people on the scrap heap, but he really needs to keep his head down this time!

• Like 4

I won’t call into question the suspension he’s received as that’s a completely different topic. 

However, I will question a four-year contract for a bloke who’s been done for homophobic comments, assaulting students and has received a drugs ban. I suspect there will be clauses in the contract for if he has another brain explosion. 

Great player and possibly the most dangerous player Wigan have had for a few years. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That is a decent press release, well done Wigan. Glad they didnt ignore the challenges and have been quite honest.

Ive said before im not a fan of throwing people on the scrap heap, but he really needs to keep his head down this time!

Neither am I, but when someone's a serial offender, you have to wonder if he will ever grow up. If he messes up this opportunity, he must be viewed with extreme suspicion by any potential employer.

I imagine Shaun Wane will be laying down the law to him as soon as he's officially signed up.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Someone’s an eternal optimist anyway .... four year contract 

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Someone’s an eternal optimist anyway .... four year contract 

I suspect it’s got so many caveats that he’ll be scared of using wintergreen just in case, what did Paul McCarty say, “comes up illegal”

43 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Jumping the gun slightly. First of all there will be the big mid-season where a relaxed and focused Zak explains how he regrets the past, has learned his lesson and has put it all behind him now.

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hmm, I think that is what got him into the current mess.

• Haha 2

Yesterday I heard from someone connected to the Wigan club, next season they will have a new coach, as Mr Wane along with Ryan Sutton will be joining Sam in the South of France, same source says John Bateman will also not be with the club speculated he is going to Australia.

Those suggestions may be credible, but I find it hard to belive who is earmarked as the incoming coach to replace Mr Wane, one Shaun Edwards.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yesterday I heard from someone connected to the Wigan club, next season they will have a new coach, as Mr Wane along with Ryan Sutton will be joining Sam in the South of France, same source says John Bateman will also not be with the club speculated he is going to Australia.

Those suggestions may be credible, but I find it hard to belive who is earmarked as the incoming coach to replace Mr Wane, one Shaun Edwards.

Wow - if all of the above happens it will be a very exciting time for SL next year. 

Wane would be good for Les Dracs as he's no nonsense and clearly will play youngsters if good enough.   Edwards back in RL would be amazing, would this mean a new era at Wigan and a return to glory in the CC which they basically used to own in his playing days. 

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your 'someone'... if there really was one ... had been smelling the same stuff as Hardaker was on.

And BTW... fair doos to Hardaker's parents for calling him 'Zak'. Neat. And with a K too.

Edited by Rupert Prince
  • Like 1

To be fair though, Mr Edwards is getting on a bit. Being a competitive sort, he must be thinking he needs a head coach gig again before it is too late. Union doesn't seem keen. Where  else would he get time and a sympathetic view from fans?

Makes some sense seen from that angle.

EDIT: He always said he wanted to be Down South to be near his son. He is now grown up and playing for Wasps in Coventry.

Edited by dixiedean

I've already been told on facebook that Wigan are a club that lack morals and that is "different" that they signed Barba, who was caught doing coke, had fights with team mates in car parks and so-called hit his mrs (allegations i must stress). Different how? He was younger.

Find me a club that hasn't had a player with a dubious record and I'll find you a flying pig. People are acting so sanctimonius it's unreal.

• Like 1

Very disappointing from Wigan. Castleford have shown a lot more class than Wigan regarding this. 

• Like 1

In a post Newton world we definitely shouldn't throw players on the scrap heap. That said I'm not 100% sure about this. I don't think Wigan have a great track record in rehabilitating players with a rough past. Also I sincerely hope the Edwards rumour isn't true. He's not had RL first team coaching experience in a very long time (if ever).

1 minute ago, RidingPie said:

In a post Newton world we definitely shouldn't throw players on the scrap heap. That said I'm not 100% sure about this. I don't think Wigan have a great track record in rehabilitating players with a rough past. Also I sincerely hope the Edwards rumour isn't true. He's not had RL first team coaching experience in a very long time (if ever).

Anthony Gelling had some previous with bad behaviour before he joined Wigan. However, the club couldn't rehabilitate the possibly un-saveable Gareth Hock.

As for Shaun Edwards, his man-management skills are supposed to be excellent, and who knows how closely he has followed developments in the game since he left to coach in RU? It would certainly be a very interesting and high-profile appointment.

Would it work out? God* knows.

*or Brett Kenny, as the two are basically interchangeable.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

Very disappointing from Wigan. Castleford have shown a lot more class than Wigan regarding this. 

How has Castleford shown any class in this matter, but Wigan have not? 

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry, an explanation might be needed for this?

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Anthony Gelling had some previous with bad behaviour before he joined Wigan. However, the club couldn't rehabilitate the possibly un-saveable Gareth Hock.

I'm not sure Gelling is in the same league here. I mean he defecated in a kettle and trashed a hotel room as a teenager, if memory serves. Tied with the NZ warriors dreadful discipline at the time and that generally he was a nutcase anyway (said in a very affectionate way...he was our nutcase, charging down penalty kickers, and the videos... certainly not a bland individual)

As for Edwards, no one can accuse him of not being driven, but if true... I'm nervous.

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

http://wiganwarriors.com/news/2018-05-18-warriors-sign-hardaker

It's official - a 4 year contract.

As a Saints fan, I'd love to see him go up against Barba next year, but know it probably won't happen. Generally, the side with the best full back dominates the league, so a huge boost for Wigan.

Surprise surprise, not.

I have no doubt what so ever that before his contract runs out at Wigan he would have done another stupid dumb thing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Surprise surprise, not.

I have no doubt what so ever that before his contract runs out at Wigan he would have done another stupid dumb thing

Hell I do stupid dumb things on a weekly basis (which don't involve drugs or assault I'll point out). No one needs 4 years to do something like that.

• Like 1