Community Teams that have ceased in the last year or two

On 5/21/2018 at 1:44 AM, bazza_merged said:

did any of these teams have juniors?

Did the juniors keep playing after the open age team folded?

Part of the problem is that you can't get funding for open age teams.  So you either start with juniors, hope you can build them up and go all ages.  Or you start with adults and chase junior funding for something you likely don't have any passion for.  Then we're not even talking about the issue with having somewhere to play or people to run a club.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Part of the problem is that you can't get funding for open age teams.  So you either start with juniors, hope you can build them up and go all ages.  Or you start with adults and chase junior funding for something you likely don't have any passion for.  Then we're not even talking about the issue with having somewhere to play or people to run a club.

For me as long as juniors keep going then the open age can ebb and flow

As long as there is a steady stream of kids coming through there will be a supply of pro, amateurs, fans and coaches for the future

16 hours ago, bazza_merged said:

For me as long as juniors keep going then the open age can ebb and flow

As long as there is a steady stream of kids coming through there will be a supply of pro, amateurs, fans and coaches for the future

That's the RFL attitude and it's not working - add Cas Panthers, Lincoln City Knights to the list.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

That's the RFL attitude and it's not working - add Cas Panthers, Lincoln City Knights to the list.

Agreed.  As is the "we need to consolidate" attitude which means we're shrinking rather than growing.

1 hour ago, topcentre21 said:

did norland like to be big fish in a small pond?

what the reason they are no more?

Norland more than held their own for the first couple of seasons but some players went to play for Three Tuns in the H&D winter league as they did well the cross over seemed to affect Norland more. West Hull were struggling for an A team and I think the coach from 3 tuns is now helping at West Hull, it appears WH’s gain is Norland’s demise, Norland also haven’t had a youth section for a number of years so none of their own players coming through 

55 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

Norland more than held their own for the first couple of seasons but some players went to play for Three Tuns in the H&D winter league as they did well the cross over seemed to affect Norland more. West Hull were struggling for an A team and I think the coach from 3 tuns is now helping at West Hull, it appears WH’s gain is Norland’s demise, Norland also haven’t had a youth section for a number of years so none of their own players coming through 

Are Wests having to scour the regional teams to get players to survive ?

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Are Wests having to scour the regional teams to get players to survive ?

I wouldn’t say struggling to survive but don’t have the resources they once did, at one time all their junior teams were top of their leagues not any more, don’t think WH more the state of the game in Hull it’s on its ######, like most areas

22 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I wouldn’t say struggling to survive but don’t have the resources they once did, at one time all their junior teams were top of their leagues not any more, don’t think WH more the state of the game in Hull it’s on its ######, like most areas

I've noticed more and more pundits are now talking about the amateur game and questioning the playing season and systems implemented by the RFL.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

I've noticed more and more pundits are now talking about the amateur game and questioning the playing season and systems implemented by the RFL.

Unfortunately we cannot mention the dreaded W word any more but what I cannot believe is nobody really seems bothered any more, every thing that was meant to put the game right still hasn’t happened and nothing gets done.

David Gent “ The strong will survive” next comment will be “Every time a topic comes up you turn it into a summer winter debate” It wasn’t the dinasours that took the decision to follow the Pied Piper. 

Funny thing if you look at the list of RFL officials that took the decision, How many are Left? 

in west Cumbria you can add Maryport and Broughton Red Rose and there’s another couple of clubs really struggling to get 17 players on the pitch on a weekly basis.

Maryport and Broughton both have their own facilities with very good youth sections but interest at open age is at an all time low.

Maryport in particular have an excellent set up which will be amongst the finest in the amateur game, so facilities has little influence in attracting players to the sport.

ive said on another thread that the Community Boards role in amateur RL should be reassessed as they bring nothing to the sport, and the game has declined at a worrying rate since they took over the administration of the regionals from BARLA.

There needs to be a new body set up to specifically look after the regionals, and someone needs employed by the RFL to look into the reasons why players have turned their backs on the sport.

we all have our own ideas, but it’s time for hard facts, which means someone at the RFL actually earning their wages

56 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

There needs to be a new body set up to specifically look after the regionals, and someone needs employed by the RFL to look into the reasons why players have turned their backs on the sport.

Think the New Body has been muted for several years and nothing has materialised,  as said earlier nobody seems interested even the RFL

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Defender1 said:

Think the New Body has been muted for several years and nothing has materialised,  as said earlier nobody seems interested even the RFL

The community board was hand picked by the RFL except for the one BARLA rep, I'm still trying to work out how a guy living in Kent and another living around the Birmingham/Telford area could have more influence on the amateur game than the one person selected democratically in the heartlands.

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

The community board was hand picked by the RFL except for the one BARLA rep, I'm still trying to work out how a guy living in Kent and another living around the Birmingham/Telford area could have more influence on the amateur game than the one person selected democratically in the heartlands.

The guy living in Kent was voted for by the Tier 5 Leagues. For two terms. He stood down and the current Tier 5 rep was elected by the same Leagues. And yes that includes Pennine and H&D. 

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Sorry ,didn’t realise they had wrapped up recently.

About 5 years ago they were doing ok with teams at most age groups and good numbers at open age, our A team played them in a friendly and they turned up with well over 20 players.

There was some disagreement on their committee, a move to some council owned land and it all fell apart, the few players they had seemed to go to Lambeath as they used to merge teams at festivals to get numbers

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

So, how do open age and junior numbers compare to recent and more distant past. 

Has the amount of teams and players declined massively?

The game was at its height in the 80s and 90s at Open age with Youth at its height I would guess late 90s early noughties, this coincided with BARLA and the RFL at the height of their disagreements.

Since the RFL have taken charge of everything except Super League the game has IMO declined at an increasing rate, I anticipate when the next Sports England participation figures are published there will a way of showing figures won’t have changed. 

If I am saying figures are down why no change. The core product is Open age and Mini/youth but the RFL are desperately trying to get into Masters, Women’s/Girls, Disabled, touch anywhere they can register a player. The RFL were trying to make out the touch league in London were RL in fact the main source was RU

I speak to our Youth secretary on a regular basis and the amount of call offs at Youth is disheartening. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

The guy living in Kent was voted for by the Tier 5 Leagues. For two terms. He stood down and the current Tier 5 rep was elected by the same Leagues. And yes that includes Pennine and H&D. 

And yes the Pennine and Hull leagues are constantly out voted

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

And yes the Pennine and Hull leagues are constantly out voted

But that is democracy mate! You can't say that the existing Tier 5 rep or his predecessor weren't democratically elected - each league had the vote. We turned the decision over to our clubs and went with the majority to ensure it was the clubs who made the choice.

1 hour ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

But that is democracy mate! You can't say that the existing Tier 5 rep or his predecessor weren't democratically elected - each league had the vote. We turned the decision over to our clubs and went with the majority to ensure it was the clubs who made the choice.

I've never heard of the leagues voting before, when you say leagues do you mean the teams or the people running the leagues ?,

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

I've never heard of the leagues voting before, when you say leagues do you mean the teams or the people running the leagues ?,

Each league in Tier 5 voted for its rep. In the Midlanda we put the vote to the clubs. I couldnt tell you what other leagues did, but would suggest some will have asked their clubs and others will have made the decision as elected committees representing their members. 

Archived