Sign in to follow this  

They really need to sort out video replay in this sport. Toulouse just clearly missed a conversion kick and the touch judges awarded it.  They replayed it on tv and you could clearly see it missed.

Pretty bush league to be honest.

Edited by CanadianRugger

26 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

They really need to sort out video replay in this sport. Toulouse just clearly missed a conversion kick and the touch judges awarded it.  They replayed it on tv and you could clearly see it missed.

Pretty bush league to be honest.

As the post above outlines , gobby players and coaches have driven refs from the sport 

Now who's the '  gobbyest ' player around right now ? 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

The game is crying out for refs and touch judges. Volunteer and do a better job.

This is a professional sport, there is zero reason a point that is clearly not scored should stand, especially in a sport that holds promotion/relegation sacrosanct.  Considering a poor call could potentially cost a club millions of dollars, it is imperative they get it right.

I cannot imagine this happening in the NHL or NFL, actually heads would roll if it did.  Are Super League and Championship referees not paid a salary to ref?  So they aren't volunteers, they are professional referees and shouls be open to scrutiny.

I do referee the other code btw 😁 also coach juniors.

Edited by CanadianRugger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

This is a professional sport, there is zero reason a point that is clearly not scored should stand, especially in a sport that holds promotion/relegation sacrosanct.  Considering a poor call could potentially cost a club millions of dollars, it is imperative they get it right.

I cannot imagine this happening in the NHL or NFL, actually heads would roll if it did.  

How does football survive without VRs then. 

• Like 1

I am nearly over this game.

Watching two Souths players drop the ball on purpose to get a penalty tonight (Sam Burgess you no good) (as  a strip) it was obvious but the Ref gave the penalty.

Several teams pass the ball into a player trying to get up from a tackle is killing this game with the Fans.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

How does football survive without VRs then. 

Because the sport is one of the simplest and least complex sports out there.  Which is why it is one of the most popular.  A sport for the masses! 

It's also full of diving ######s.  Can't stand that sport and rugby should not try and emulate it.

Edited by CanadianRugger
  • Like 1

Just now, Allora said:

I am nearly over this game.

Watching two Souths players drop the ball on purpose to get a penalty tonight (Sam Burgess you are 

no good) (as  a strip) it was obvious but the Ref gave the penalty.

Several teams pass the ball into a player trying to get up from a tackle is killing this game with the Fans.

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I cannot imagine this happening in the NHL or NFL, actually heads would roll if it did.  

So stick to the other code.

Rugby League doesn't have the money of the NHL or NFL.

People make mistakes,even in professional sport.You deal with it and move on.

I'm sure TWP have prospered in games from mistakes officials have made.

You moan when it affects them but not when they prosper.

• Like 1

Just now, terrywebbisgod said:

Nope, as a fan of hockey I'm used to having a video referee.  It's not a question of money either.  We have video review in junior hockey here and they have less money than league teams, well some of them might have more.

Just now, terrywebbisgod said:

Have you ever posted a positive comment on here Dads Army?

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Have you ever posted a positive comment on here Dads Army?

Yes but I'm tired of whingers on here.

The profile pic is a ###### take of all the whingers that post on here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Yes but I'm tired of whingers on here.

The profile pic is a ###### take of all the whingers that post on here.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.  Too much rain in Northern England I take it 😂

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

You must be a lot of fun at parties.  Too much rain in Northern England I take it 😂

Glorious sunshine at the moment.

I'm probably more fun than a canuck who has to resort to insults.😆

Edited by terrywebbisgod

2 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Glorious sunshine at the moment.

I'm probably more fun than a canuck who has to resort to insults.😆

Kettle, this is pot :)

Lots of kisses from across the pond in Ontario.

Edited by CanadianRugger

10 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

OP would hate this

Yep totally stupid. What they do in the NHL is allow what's called a coaches challenge.  A coach is allowed to challenge 1 call per game that he thinks the ref got wrong.  If the ref got it wrong the play is overturned; however, if the ref got it right, the team that issued the challenge receives a penalty for delay of game.

Also, in the NHL, if it the final minute of the game, any play that results in a goal is reviewed to ensure it was awarded fairly.  

Edited by CanadianRugger

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Yep totally stupid. What they do in the NHL is allow what's called a coaches challenge.  A coach is allowed to challenge 1 call per game that he thinks the ref got wrong.  If the ref got it wrong the play is overturned; however, if the ref got it right, the team that issued the challenge receives a penalty for delay of game.

Also, in the NHlL, if it the final minute of the game, any play that results in a goal is reviewed to ensure it was awarded fairly.  

The issue is that unlike in America, not every RL match is televised (standard for British sports) so an over-reliance on VR and intervention from the video referees is discouraged to try to ensure parity and a level playing field across all matches. The other argument is that constant interventions ruin the flow of play, unlike say the NFL where there are natural stoppages after every play which allow for review. It is what it is, most fans accept that it benefits/disadvantages both teams equally and just get on with it.

6 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

The issue is that unlike in America, not every RL match is televised (standard for British sports) so an over-reliance on VR and intervention from the video referees is discouraged to try to ensure parity and a level playing field across all matches. The other argument is that constant interventions ruin the flow of play, unlike say the NFL where there are natural stoppages after every play which allow for review. It is what it is, most fans accept that it benefits/disadvantages both teams equally and just get on with it.

it doesn't need to be televised to have video replay of tries and goals.

22 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Also, in the NHL, if it the final minute of the game, any play that results in a goal is reviewed to ensure it was awarded fairly.  

So there must be instances where a coach has used his challenge got it wrong. Then later in the game an obvious error has been made and nothing can be done about it. Cricket has a similar challenge system and that happens quite a bit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

So there must be instances where a coach has used his challenge got it wrong. Then later in the game an obvious error has been made and nothing can be done about it. Cricket has a similar challenge system and that happens quite a bit. 

Yes it happens, if he gets it wrong, the team is also penalized.  Getting penalized in hockey is pretty significant and a lot of goals are scored with a man advantage.

In the final minute of the game and in overtime, every play is reviewed as if it was a coaches challenge.  

Timeouts, Coaches Challenges and Line Changes make the coaches job in Ice Hockey pretty significant.  The coach can have a lot more influence on the game in Ice Hockey than he can in Rugby.  Because of the rolling interchanges in hockey, a big part of the coaches job is managing who is on the ice and ensuring the right players are matched with their opponents as part of an overall game strategy.  

Some coaches design specific lines of players to combat certain play styles.  An example of this would be the Draper, Maltby, McCarthy line that used to play for Detriot Red Wings.  They played what's called a "Grinder Role" and the coach would try and match them up with the other teams top scoring lines to rough the star players up and wear them down.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

The coach can have a lot more influence on the game in Ice Hockey than he can in Rugby.

lol you really have a lot to learn about RL

8 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

lol you really have a lot to learn about RL

Nope, understand the sport perfectly fine.  In Ice Hockey, the coach literally sits right behind the players and talks in their ear every shift.  He can call timeouts and literally explain on a board what the players are doing/not doing to them.

Are you just being ignorant?  I forgot though, Wayne Rooney is the greatest player ever and England are going to be World Champions :D

I think it is you who has a lot to learn.

Edited by CanadianRugger

48 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Nope, understand the sport perfectly fine.  In Ice Hockey, the coach literally sits right behind the players and talks in their ear every shift.  He can call timeouts and literally explain on a board what the players are doing/not doing to them.

Are you just being ignorant?  I forgot though, Wayne Rooney is the greatest player ever and England are going to be World Champions :D

I think it is you who has a lot to learn.

What the hell? Are you confusing me with someone else?

Even lifelong RL fans would be awestruck and mindblown if they attended even a pretty rudimentary RL coaching session. If you're talking about coaches influencing a match already in play then sure.